What practices help to internalize the Four Seals?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
ElenaTheo

What practices help to internalize the Four Seals?

Post by ElenaTheo »

Hello dear fellow travelers,

Here is my first post (beyond the introduction) on this forum.

Recently I read the article by DZONGSAR KHYENTSE RINPOCHE on the Four Dharma Seals (the link is below).
He puts them like this:

1. All compounded things are impermanent.
2. All emotions are pain.
3. All things have no inherent existence.
4. Nirvana is beyond concept.

I would like to learn what practices are geared toward internalizing those truths.
Please suggest some.
For example, mindfulness helps one to experience impermanence of all the phenomena.

Thank you!
Elena

https://www.lionsroar.com/buddhism-nuts ... ls-dharma/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: What practices help to internalize the Four Seals?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

In Tibetan traditions the practices that connect would be the Four Thoughts That Turn the Mind From Samsara

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Four_thoughts

Contemplation of the Three or Four Seals itself is also a practice though.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

ElenaTheo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:00 am Hello dear fellow travelers,

Recently I read the article by DZONGSAR KHYENTSE RINPOCHE on the Four Dharma Seals (the link is below).
He puts them like this:

I would like to learn what practices are geared toward internalizing those truths.
Please suggest some.
For example, mindfulness helps one to experience impermanence of all the phenomena.

Thank you!
Elena

Understanding what concepts are trying be be conveyed by the terms being used. For example, “pain” (#2) can mean a lot of things. It’s really not the best word. Obviously, all emotion isn’t pain, is it? No. Pain is only one type of feeling. To say, “all emotions are passing distractions which are okay for the moment but will not bring lasting satisfaction if pursued and clung to” would be more accurate. Unfortunately, it’s too long to say that.
My point is, a good practice is to explore, ask, and contemplate what the four lines are saying.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

ElenaTheo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:00 am Hello dear fellow travelers,

He puts them like this:

Please suggest some.

Thank you!
Elena

Welcome:)
MyWay

Post by MyWay »

Achaan Naeb of Theravada Buddhism taught a simple way to experience impermanence as a practice of some Seals :

1. try to sit in a very comfortable manner;
2. keep yourself in that state as long as possible;
3. when you are becoming very uncomfortable and need to move your body;
4. before the move, try to observe and experience that you are always forced to change bit by bit (impermanence) and generally your behaviours are not controlled by your mind/body (you are devoid of self).

The more you understand and accept the aforesaid results, the deeper internalisation of some Seals you may achieve.

Hope this somewhat useful for your practice.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Meditation as was taught to me in theravada and zen/ch'an. Mindfulness of the body, mindfulness of the feelings, mindfulness of the mind. When you get really in your experience, you become comfortable with sensations, thoughts, memories,experiences... many things coming and going in and out of experience. They show the first two seals very plainly. I suppose the third seal might be arrived at through contemplations such as "what is a table?" and "who am I?"

All emotions are pain became pretty apparent to me when sick. The wanting and egoic movements of my mind made the suffering worse, amplifying it. You see the connection of how the ego makes you suffer quite easily in these circumstances.
Also what comes to mind is being tired on meditation retreat. All these emotions coming through from the tiredness is not always pleasant. But often after a few days, your body and mind settle in and the fog lifts. Instead of forcing yourself to sit through some uncomfortable experience, it is light and easy. And sometimes carefree. So you see directly how these emotions (kleshas) are a burden and make you suffer (discomfort, not easy or smooth), and how things are nicer when the load is lightened.
Last edited by SilenceMonkey on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

In the 100 syllable mantra of Vajrasattva, there is a section with "Ha" being repeated 4 times in a row. Everyone asks about it. I have read that it generates various positive qualities such as the Four Immeasurables and the four blisses obtained in Tummo after bringing the winds into the central channel. There were other sets of four linked with this section of the mantra, but it seemed like the important point was that in addition to removing obstacles from your practice this mantra has the ability to generate all the positive qualities you need to work your path. And it is a practice, as requested.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”