Buddhist Shrine where I meditate

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Manwon

Buddhist Shrine where I meditate

Post by Manwon »

Hello and let me say Namaste to everyone for the newbie!!! :namaste: I am retired US Army living in South Korea and I have been married to a South Korea who is practicing Buddhists, we have been married for 34 years and during that time I have participated in many Buddhist rituals that occur throughout any given year, including funeral services here in Korea. The cultural history of South Korea is absolutely amazing when it comes to Buddhist Shrines, Temples, and access to Buddhist teaching. My wife and I are members of a Buddhist Temple not far from out home that is more than 800 years old and was never destroyed which is amazing considering the number of times Korea has been invaded over the last 2000 years. I work on my education with a very special Monk who 83 years old and is a very wonderful human being who is also very patient with me. :tongue:

I have a special place about 10 KM from my present home on the out skits of the City of Seosan where my wife was born. The Rock-carved triad buddha in Seosan is located at Gayasan, Unsan-myeon, Seosan, Chungcheongnam-do. The Standing Buddha Reborn was sculptured in the center which is 208 centimeter high, with a standing image of a bodhisattva on his right side and an image of the Bangasayusang on his left side. It is also known as "the smile of the Baekje", and it is considered to be a notable example of Buddhist images carved on rock cliffs and which were made by digging into the natural rocks and sculpting the statue.

It is believed that the carving is an expression of the principal Buddha and Maitreya bodhisattva introduced in the "Lotus Sutra". It is estimated to have been created between the late 6th and the early 7th centuries, due to the commonness in that period of heavy, dignified physiques and the round, clear cuts exhibited in the principal Buddha statue, and the refined sense of molding in the bodhisattva statue, as well as the liveliness of the image.

What is most amazing is that since the sites location is a bit of climb up the side of mountain, and since during the week most Koreans are at work. I can sit and be completely alone at the site for hours at a time. So with a little of my favorite music, mediation here is a very wonderful experience, and at times it almost seems like I can feel people from the past joining me in Mediation, Contemplation, and Prayer. :namaste: :yinyang:

Below is a link to information on the site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-carv ... _in_Seosan

Please enjoy
Redfaery

Re: Buddhist Shrine where I meditate

Post by Redfaery »

Oh my, that is wonderful! I am so happy for your good fortune. :heart: I hope you continue to have many wonderful experiences in S.Korea.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

Thank very much for your very kind comments, I truly appreciate it. I know that I am very lucky to be able to live this wonderful life. I have always been a wonderer, I never liked to stay in one place too long. I joined the US Military in late 1978 and I retired in 2003, then in 2010 I went to work as A US Contractor in the Middle East doing the same job I did while on active duty. I married my in the United States in 1986, and we are still very happily today. My wife is South Korean and she has been a practicing Buddhist throughout her entire life, so my exposure to Buddhism has been just a regular part of my life and our Marriage

We have been living here in South Korea since 2014, we moved here because of my job as a Government Contractor. At this point we may just stay, we haven't made up minds as yet for certain. From a Buddhist stand point, everyway you go in this country there is so much history, I dont believe you could see it all in a life time, even though the country isn't that large.

Again, I am grateful for your comments, and that you enjoyed my post!!!! :yinyang: :sage:
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Manwon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 am Thank very much for your very kind comments, I truly appreciate it. I know that I am very lucky to be able to live this wonderful life. I have always been a wonderer, I never liked to stay in one place too long. I joined the US Military in late 1978 and I retired in 2003, then in 2010 I went to work as A US Contractor in the Middle East doing the same job I did while on active duty. I married my in the United States in 1986, and we are still very happily today. My wife is South Korean and she has been a practicing Buddhist throughout her entire life, so my exposure to Buddhism has been just a regular part of my life and our Marriage

We have been living here in South Korea since 2014, we moved here because of my job as a Government Contractor. At this point we may just stay, we haven't made up minds as yet for certain. From a Buddhist stand point, everyway you go in this country there is so much history, I dont believe you could see it all in a life time, even though the country isn't that large.

Again, I am grateful for your comments, and that you enjoyed my post!!!! :yinyang: :sage:
Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I don't know much about Korean Buddhism. What kinds of ways do you and your wife practice? Can you tell us about what you chant, what prayers you use, what type of meditation you do, and which buddhas and bodhisattvas you work with?

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

karmanyingpo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 amVery interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I don't know much about Korean Buddhism. What kinds of ways do you and your wife practice? Can you tell us about what you chant, what prayers you use, what type of meditation you do, and which buddhas and bodhisattvas you work with?
Korean Buddhism is Tongbulgyo ("interpenetrated Buddhism"), before Buddhism was brought to Korea Shamanism was the religion of the Korean Nation. When Buddhism arrived in Korea it was brought form China and from India, there were two monks who are credited with first to bring Buddhism to korea. The first Monk Gyeomik in the 6th Century ( 526 ) traveled from the providence of Baekje, to India to learn Sanskrit and to study Vinaya. The second Monk Paya also in the 6th Century ( 526-613 ) traveled from the providence of Goguryeo and he is said to have studied under the Tiantia Master Zhiyi.

Master Zhiyi is famous for being the first in the history of Chinese Buddhism to elaborate a complete, critical and systematic classification of the Buddhist teachings. He is also regarded as the first major figure to make a significant break from the Indian tradition, to form an indigenous Chinese Buddhist system. Among Zhiyi's many important works are the Liumiao Famen, Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra, (Fahua Wenzhu), and Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra (Fahua Xuanyi). Of the works attributed to him (although many may have been written by his disciples), about thirty are extant today.

When Buddhism first came to Korea, it was integrated into the Shamanistic Religious practices that already existed upon the Korean Peninsula. Although it initially enjoyed wide acceptance across Korea during the Goryeo Dynasty. Goryeo was a Korean kingdom founded in 918, during a time of national division called the Later Three Kingdoms period, that unified and ruled the Korean Peninsula until 1392. The name "Korea" is derived from the name of Goryeo, also spelled Koryŏ, which was first used in the early 5th century by Goguryeo, the Joseon came to power in approximately July of 1392 was founded by Yi Seong-Gye.

The Joseon dynasty was a Korean dynastic kingdom that lasted for approximately five centuries, Joseon was founded by Yi Seong-gye in July 1392 and was replaced by the Korean Empire in October 1897. From approximately 1392, until 1592 Buddhism in Korea suffered extreme repression during the Joseon era, which lasted over five hundred years. Then the Japanese invaded Korea and the conflict was known as Imjin War. This involved two separate yet linked invasions: an initial invasion in 1592 (Imjin Disturbance), a brief truce in 1596, and a second invasion in 1597 (Chongyu War).

During this conflict Buddhist Monks fought along side the Kingdoms Soldiers, and in 1598 the conflict ended and along with it the Persecution of Buddhists also stopped do to their service to the Emperor. Buddhism in Korea remained subdued until the end of the Joseon period, when its position was strengthened somewhat by the colonial period, which lasted from 1910 to 1945. However, these Buddhist monks did not only put an end to Japanese rule in 1945, but they also asserted their specific and separate religious identity by reforming their traditions and practices.

I hope this over view of Buddhism in Korea helps you understand the Buddhist Religious roots in Korea. Now while it says that the Religion was persecuted for almost 500 years, the religious traditions where never stopped. New temples were built, and the Traditional Buddhist Teachings continued, and during this time many Buddhist Monks and practitioners were executed, however, this still did not stop expansion or Buddhist teachings.

Below are chants that I practice with my teacher, he suggested these for me as a start. As far as meditation is concerned, I have practiced Transcendental Meditation since the 1970's. I have used it as a form of relaxation and since I had already perfected this technique I could see no reason to change it, and neither could my Teacher. I was in the US Army from 1978 until 2003 when I retired, and then from 2010 until 2019 I worked as a US Government Contractor in the Middle EAST. I was first based out of Tacoma Washington, and then I moved to South Korea in 2014 and was based out of Pyeongtaek South Korea.

During my Military service and my service as a Contractor Transcendental Meditation was how I would recharge myself, after a stressful day or just a long days work, I would mediate because nothing could reduce stress better than 1 to 2 hour's of meditation. As far as which Buddha's and bodhisattvas, are used in Korea, I am being taught using The standing Buddha reborn, Bangasayusang Maitreya, and Bangasayusang Vajrapani. I would also like to point out that Shamanism is still are intrigue part of the Korean Buddhist Traditions. Even today faithful Korean Buddhists will consult a Shaman to see if they are the right match to marry, to choose names for their children, to buy a home or property to build a home on, and for many other important events that occur in their lives.

Thank you very much for interest karmanyingpo, I hope this is helpful in gaining a understanding of Korean Buddhist Traditions. I also hope we can Chat again my friend! :anjali: :yinyang: :anjali:
Last edited by Ayu on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote. For quoting please just use the tool above in the very right. Or you need [quote] and [/quote] at least.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Manwon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 pm
karmanyingpo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 amVery interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I don't know much about Korean Buddhism. What kinds of ways do you and your wife practice? Can you tell us about what you chant, what prayers you use, what type of meditation you do, and which buddhas and bodhisattvas you work with?
Korean Buddhism is Tongbulgyo ("interpenetrated Buddhism"), before Buddhism was brought to Korea Shamanism was the religion of the Korean Nation. When Buddhism arrived in Korea it was brought form China and from India, there were two monks who are credited with first to bring Buddhism to korea. The first Monk Gyeomik in the 6th Century ( 526 ) traveled from the providence of Baekje, to India to learn Sanskrit and to study Vinaya. The second Monk Paya also in the 6th Century ( 526-613 ) traveled from the providence of Goguryeo and he is said to have studied under the Tiantia Master Zhiyi.

Master Zhiyi is famous for being the first in the history of Chinese Buddhism to elaborate a complete, critical and systematic classification of the Buddhist teachings. He is also regarded as the first major figure to make a significant break from the Indian tradition, to form an indigenous Chinese Buddhist system. Among Zhiyi's many important works are the Liumiao Famen, Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra, (Fahua Wenzhu), and Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra (Fahua Xuanyi). Of the works attributed to him (although many may have been written by his disciples), about thirty are extant today.

When Buddhism first came to Korea, it was integrated into the Shamanistic Religious practices that already existed upon the Korean Peninsula. Although it initially enjoyed wide acceptance across Korea during the Goryeo Dynasty. Goryeo was a Korean kingdom founded in 918, during a time of national division called the Later Three Kingdoms period, that unified and ruled the Korean Peninsula until 1392. The name "Korea" is derived from the name of Goryeo, also spelled Koryŏ, which was first used in the early 5th century by Goguryeo, the Joseon came to power in approximately July of 1392 was founded by Yi Seong-Gye.

The Joseon dynasty was a Korean dynastic kingdom that lasted for approximately five centuries, Joseon was founded by Yi Seong-gye in July 1392 and was replaced by the Korean Empire in October 1897. From approximately 1392, until 1592 Buddhism in Korea suffered extreme repression during the Joseon era, which lasted over five hundred years. Then the Japanese invaded Korea and the conflict was known as Imjin War. This involved two separate yet linked invasions: an initial invasion in 1592 (Imjin Disturbance), a brief truce in 1596, and a second invasion in 1597 (Chongyu War).

During this conflict Buddhist Monks fought along side the Kingdoms Soldiers, and in 1598 the conflict ended and along with it the Persecution of Buddhists also stopped do to their service to the Emperor. Buddhism in Korea remained subdued until the end of the Joseon period, when its position was strengthened somewhat by the colonial period, which lasted from 1910 to 1945. However, these Buddhist monks did not only put an end to Japanese rule in 1945, but they also asserted their specific and separate religious identity by reforming their traditions and practices.

I hope this over view of Buddhism in Korea helps you understand the Buddhist Religious roots in Korea. Now while it says that the Religion was persecuted for almost 500 years, the religious traditions where never stopped. New temples were built, and the Traditional Buddhist Teachings continued, and during this time many Buddhist Monks and practitioners were executed, however, this still did not stop expansion or Buddhist teachings.

Below are chants that I practice with my teacher, he suggested these for me as a start. As far as meditation is concerned, I have practiced Transcendental Meditation since the 1970's. I have used it as a form of relaxation and since I had already perfected this technique I could see no reason to change it, and neither could my Teacher. I was in the US Army from 1978 until 2003 when I retired, and then from 2010 until 2019 I worked as a US Government Contractor in the Middle EAST. I was first based out of Tacoma Washington, and then I moved to South Korea in 2014 and was based out of Pyeongtaek South Korea.

During my Military service and my service as a Contractor Transcendental Meditation was how I would recharge myself, after a stressful day or just a long days work, I would mediate because nothing could reduce stress better than 1 to 2 hour's of meditation. As far as which Buddha's and bodhisattvas, are used in Korea, I am being taught using The standing Buddha reborn, Bangasayusang Maitreya, and Bangasayusang Vajrapani. I would also like to point out that Shamanism is still are intrigue part of the Korean Buddhist Traditions. Even today faithful Korean Buddhists will consult a Shaman to see if they are the right match to marry, to choose names for their children, to buy a home or property to build a home on, and for many other important events that occur in their lives.

Thank you very much for interest karmanyingpo, I hope this is helpful in gaining a understanding of Korean Buddhist Traditions. I also hope we can Chat again my friend! :anjali: :yinyang: :anjali:
Thank you Manwon :) Good info to know. Those are very beautiful chants. Do you ever chant the Heart Sutra? That one is quite nice too:
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

Good morning my friend, I have heard the heart Sutra used, however, I am not as familiar with it as the others. At this point in time I am trying to completely memorize the others I have listed.

I have a question for you, in Korea 3 is a sacred number, bows and all other prostrations are always done 3 times. Is this uniquely Korean of is this common among all Buddhist Prayers?

Again thanks, and I wish you all the best on your journey. :namaste:
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Manwon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:41 pm Good morning my friend, I have heard the heart Sutra used, however, I am not as familiar with it as the others. At this point in time I am trying to completely memorize the others I have listed.

I have a question for you, in Korea 3 is a sacred number, bows and all other prostrations are always done 3 times. Is this uniquely Korean of is this common among all Buddhist Prayers?

It is a sublime scripture, both to chant and to study. :) A SparkNotes version of the prajna paramita sutras.

Great that you are working on memorizing the chants. I would like to memorize more myself.

3 is common among different types of Buddhism. For example, we have the Triple Gem, as well as the 3 kayas, and the levels of outer, inner, and secret in Tibetan Vajrayana. I am sure there are other things that come in 3s as well.
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

(It is a sublime scripture, both to chant and to study. :) A SparkNotes version of the prajna paramita sutras.

Great that you are working on memorizing the chants. I would like to memorize more myself.

3 is common among different types of Buddhism. For example, we have the Triple Gem, as well as the 3 kayas, and the levels of outer, inner, and secret in Tibetan Vajrayana. I am sure there are other things that come in 3s as well.) Qoute

I would like to explain something I think that is very pectinate. I have been married to my wife for 34 years, and when someone marries outside of their culture and race the most important thing that one must do from the very beginning, is to embrace the other persons culture as your own and this must extend in both directions. If this isn't done with a open heart, the marriage can not last and I have seen this occur countless times with other couples who married like I have. So throughout the years I have not only excepted my wife's culture I have participated in it when ever it was possible for me to do so. So because of this approach and the fact that I love history I have gained a great deal of insight and knowledge into Korean Buddhist Practices.

However, I have not had the time to truly learn all that I wanted to, about becoming a Buddhist, only in the last 5 years have I had the extra time to spend in this pursuit, so at this time I am only beginning my journey along the Middle Path that Buddhists must follow in the pursuit of Enlightenment. I joined this forum to learn as much as possible, but I do understand that I have a very long way to go, but hopefully this forum can help me attain the knowledge I seek, not only about Korean Buddhism, but also about Buddhist traditions celebrated worldwide. So, hopefully their are many other kind souls here on this forum that will teach and guide me when I need a push in the right direction. In addition, I will gladly share any knowledge I have concerning Korean Buddhist traditions.

The number 3 is very significant in all Buddhist and Shamanistic rites and practices here in Korea. An interesting practice ( Buddhist Ancestor Rites ) that occurs twice a year ( In April and in October ) here in Korea is called Gijesa , Charye, and Seongmyo it involves praying to and paying respect to the deceased head of the Korean family unit. It can be a Great Grand Father, a Grand father, or in the case of my wife's family their Father. On specific days during the months I noted above my wife's entire family assembles at the oldest sons house. ( My wife has 5 brothers and a sister ) They travel form different parts of Korea to the city of Seosan where her oldest brother lives, and where her father is buried. The Gijesa Buddhist Ceremony, celebrated on the day before the death of the elder who is the subject of the Ceremony, not on the actual day of the person death.

The ceremony is unusually held at 10pm normally, but it must be held before midnight. To begin this Ceremony all doors within and leading out of the home must be opened, and this also includes any gates that are part of wall that surround the property. Then Shinwi or memorial tablet on which a portrait of large photograph of the deceased is place to symbolizes the spiritual presence of the ancestor, is placed at the center rear of the table. These rites are always perform by a male member of the family, and again the Oldest Son or the next in line will act as the master of the ceremony. Next the family of the eldest son prepare many kinds of food such as, taro soup, beef, fish, three different colored vegetables, many kinds of fruits, and rice cake or songpyon, along with a bottle of rice wine or other alcohol is placed on the table keeping in mind what was particularly favored by the deceased.

Then the wives of the male family members set up the shrine, a paper standup screen facing north behind the ceremonial table is first set in place and then food is laid out on the lacquer table as follows: rice, meat, and white fruits on the west, soup, fish, and red fruits on the east, with fruits on the first row, meat and fish on the second, vegetables on the third, and cooked rice and soup on the last. The rice bowls and individual offerings to the male ancestors are placed to the west, and those of female ancestors are set to the east . Two candles are also laid on both ends of the table, and an incense holder is placed in the middle. Once this is accomplished the ceremony will begin, the oldest son will begin the ceremony.

He will stand in front of the ceremonial table and bow 3 times, next he will kneel down and prostate himself in front of the table, then stand back up and repeat this 3 times, during the time on is prostrated he will pray to the ancestor and ask for guidance. Next he will approach the table and pick up a single pair of Chopsticks ( Metal ) and tap them on the table 3 times. Next he will make the offering, this is done by picking up two food items and placing them in a empty bowl that is provide on the table. Once this is complete he will pour Rice Wine from a bottle on the table into a small ceramic cup and tap the cup on the table 3 times and then pour the contents into the same bowl where the food offering was placed. This same ritual is carried out by all family members present, once everyone has completed this ceremony, there are two final things that are done.

Since my wife's father was a smoker, my wife's brother will light a cigarette that is sitting in an ashtray that was also placed on the table during the initial set up of offerings. Last the ashes and the cigarette butt are emptied into the same bowl that the Wine and offering were place in, and the contents are taken outside of the family compound and emptied on the ground, and one last time each family member present when this occurs will stand and bow 3 times. The next day before noon, the next part of this Buddhist ceremony is carried out at the grave site where the Ancestor is buried. This Buddhist Ceremony is called Seongmyo and it is the same Buddhist Rite that is carried out at home the night before, but now will be carried out at the Grave.

The only major differences that are at my wife fathers grave site there is a Large Marble Table that was placed at her fathers grave site when he passed away that is used for this ceremony, and the chosen food items that are given as an offering are not placed in a bowl on the table they are placed directly upon the mound that her father is buried beneath, and the Rice Wine is poured directly on the mound also.

I must ask, are you familiar with Shamanism and do you understand how it is blended into Buddhism in Asian Cultures?

Here is another Korean Buddhist Chant that we use frequently, it is called the Yeombul Chant ( Korean ), I think you will like the imagery of this Video! :smile:

Heart Sutra ( Korean )
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

karmanyingpo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:40 pm
Manwon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:41 pm Good morning my friend, I have heard the heart Sutra used, however, I am not as familiar with it as the others. At this point in time I am trying to completely memorize the others I have listed.

It is a sublime scripture, both to chant and to study. :) A SparkNotes version of the prajna paramita sutras.

3 is common among different types of Buddhism. For example, we have the Triple Gem, as well as the 3 kayas, and the levels of outer, inner, and secret in Tibetan Vajrayana. I am sure there are other things that come in 3s as well.

I have another thread you may be interested in, it pertains directed to my last post to you concerning Buddhist Ancestor Rites. The other thread concerns the Buddhist techniques of Grave Construction and the significand's of Korean Graves being designed with a Central Mound that is centered in a berm that surrounds the mound and protrudes approximately 4 ft on either side of the Mound. By looking at this, you will have a complete understanding of Buddhist Ancestor Rites and Buddhist burial site construction in addition to what the ritual meaning of this is and how it all tie's together.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=35305

I hope I am not bothering you with all this information?

Take care my friend!! :anjali: :yinyang:

Return to “Shrine Room”