Carving Buddha statues

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
avatamsaka3

Carving Buddha statues

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Has anyone here learned how to carve Buddha statues in stone or wood? If you have, how long did it take you to learn? And how long would it take me to learn without any sculpting experience? Are there any upasakas out there who dedicate themselves to this kind of thing?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Carving Buddha statues

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Look up Enkū , the “carver of 100,000 Buddhas”. Do an image search and look at his work.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Sounds good... I'd like to learn how to make statues myself.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

When I was really ill a few years ago, I hung out with a stone carver who was trying to get me to channel my energy into something productive. It was really challenging, and I only made a very amateurish looking face, but it was fun and worthwhile. He, on the other hand, was making incredibly skillful work.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Anyone know a stone/wood carver that makes Buddha statues?
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I'll ask a friend.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

My friend wanted to ask where are you located?

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Samsara for now.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I know someone who is a stone sculptor. Her name is Francis Jansen; she is quite good. Here is her website: www.graceinstone.com. If you're really serious, I believe I can connect you with her. She might also be able to connect you with someone who makes Buddha statues. I used to meet with her every week. I talked to two friends and they both said if you're trying to sculpt you need to gain some experience before going for serious training.

avatamsaka3

Carving Buddha statues

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Thanks to CJ for the introduction.

Does anyone know of primary sources (available on the internet) that contain the details of the proper proportions for Buddha statues?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Not quite on point, but have you seen this?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

No translation for most of it, but they show methods:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:53 am Thanks to CJ for the introduction.

Does anyone know of primary sources (available on the internet) that contain the details of the proper proportions for Buddha statues?
What about this? http://www.buddhanet.net/budart.htm
Maybe you can find some more sources by searching for "Proportions, Buddha"
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Are there schools/traditions like there are for Tibetan calligraphy?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

No translation for most of it, but they show methods:
Not quite on point, but have you seen this?
Thanks.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Are there schools/traditions like there are for Tibetan calligraphy?
Yes, Japan and Tibet are two examples. Theravada countries have statue making traditions too. But it seems the details of the craft are (understandably) not shared with the outside world.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Lama Rangbar has carved His own Buddha statues. May be He'd be able to share with you some tips.

https://www.facebook.com/lama.rangbarnyimaiozer

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Lama Rangbar has carved His own Buddha statues. May be He'd be able to share with you some tips.
:twothumbsup: Many thanks.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

If you feel inclined, I'd love to hear any updates on this matter. I love the intersection of Buddhism and art.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Shrine Room”