Chants to say when bowing to Buddha

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Alternatehistory95

Chants to say when bowing to Buddha

Post by Alternatehistory95 »

When I set up my shrine, what would be a good chant to say when bowing down before the Buddha?

One idea is the Amitabha chant; Would the Amitabha chant be a good chant to say?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Chants to say when bowing to Buddha

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

It really depends on which tradition you would like to follow. However, praying to Amitabha and wishing for yourself (and all beings) to be reborn in his pure land is always a good idea. Also if you want a little movement making prostrations infront of an image (or statue) of a buddha and taking refuge for the benefit of you and other beings is always a good idea. It can be very easily done in english, tibetan, japanese, korean, chinese, whatever language really (your native one or language of your tradition, if you know the meaning). That also counts as taking rafuge btw (in some tradition, plus if a living sangha is not near). Also just bowing is good.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Alternatehistory95

Miroku wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm It really depends on which tradition you would like to follow. However, praying to Amitabha and wishing for yourself (and all beings) to be reborn in his pure land is always a good idea. Also if you want a little movement making prostrations infront of an image (or statue) of a buddha and taking refuge for the benefit of you and other beings is always a good idea. It can be very easily done in english, tibetan, japanese, korean, chinese, whatever language really (your native one or language of your tradition, if you know the meaning). That also counts as taking rafuge btw (in some tradition, plus if a living sangha is not near). Also just bowing is good.
So, if I preferred it, I could just bow and say Namo Amituofo/Amitabha?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Alternatehistory95 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 pm So, if I preferred it, I could just bow and say Namo Amituofo/Amitabha?
Yes, definetly. If you feel affinity to pure land buddhism at the moment definetly go for it.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Alternatehistory95

Miroku wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 pm
Alternatehistory95 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 pm So, if I preferred it, I could just bow and say Namo Amituofo/Amitabha?
Yes, definetly. If you feel affinity to pure land buddhism at the moment definetly go for it.
Thanks! I'll do that then.
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

~ Namo Amitahbha Buddha ~
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Namo Shakyamunaye
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Om mani padme hum is what I typically use.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Alternatehistory95 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 pm When I set up my shrine, what would be a good chant to say when bowing down before the Buddha?

One idea is the Amitabha chant; Would the Amitabha chant be a good chant to say?
I find the quote I am using for my own signature particularly moving (I guess thats why I decided to use it), but I don't personally use it because I'm not a Tendai priest. I'm not sure if they even use it, its just something I found in a text associated with that school.

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.
(T2397.1.470c5-8)
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Namo Amida Butsu. :meditate:

Return to “Shrine Room”