Lotus pix

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Nicholas Weeks

Lotus pix

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Lotus pix

Post by Queequeg »

Hm. That teaching is cribbed from Zhiyi. That is Tiantai teaching.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 pm Hm. That teaching is cribbed from Zhiyi. That is Tiantai teaching.
Amazing insight Q. A Chinese Master using an ancient Chinese Master's teaching - where is his innovation, why did Master Hua not invent something brand new? :roll:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 pm
Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 pm Hm. That teaching is cribbed from Zhiyi. That is Tiantai teaching.
Amazing insight Q. A Chinese Master using an ancient Chinese Master's teaching - where is his innovation, why did Master Hua not invent something brand new? :roll:
:)

If it aint broke...

As I was reading, I was waiting for the departure from Tiantai. But when mention of "opening the provisional" came, there is no mistaking. That is one of Zhiyi's profoundest insights from the Lotus Sutra.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is Master Hua's commentary on the Lotus Sutra, how often his comments perfectly match Chih-i or not, I leave to those who care about such scholarly matters:

http://www.cttbusa.org/dfs/dfs_contents.asp
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm Here is Master Hua's commentary on the Lotus Sutra, how often his comments perfectly match Chih-i or not, I leave to those who care about such scholarly matters:

Just looked at the first few pages ... he explicitly refers to Zhiyi and Tiantai... I'll be interested to read more.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm Here is Master Hua's commentary on the Lotus Sutra, how often his comments perfectly match Chih-i or not, I leave to those who care about such scholarly matters:

Just looked at the first few pages ... he explicitly refers to Zhiyi and Tiantai... I'll be interested to read more.
I think the printed books are still available at BTTS site.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

More Lotus pictures from CTTB:

http://www.cttbusa.org/lotuses2019/cttb.asp

Return to “Shrine Room”