LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

WHAT IS THIS PLEASE?

A goblet or vase atop a bowl atop a plate. Clearly for offerings or ritual celebrations of some kind. It is huge (and a bit wonky) at 18 inches high and 16 across. It is like a very Serkyem and reminds me of stacking up offerings for Tsog/Ganapuja.

Image
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Malcolm
Posts: 33486
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm WHAT IS THIS PLEASE?

A goblet or vase atop a bowl atop a plate. Clearly for offerings or ritual celebrations of some kind. It is huge (and a bit wonky) at 18 inches high and 16 across. It is like a very Serkyem and reminds me of stacking up offerings for Tsog/Ganapuja.

Image
Where is you find this? It is clearly not Tibetan.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm WHAT IS THIS PLEASE?

A goblet or vase atop a bowl atop a plate. Clearly for offerings or ritual celebrations of some kind. It is huge (and a bit wonky) at 18 inches high and 16 across. It is like a very Serkyem and reminds me of stacking up offerings for Tsog/Ganapuja.

Image
Where is you find this? It is clearly not Tibetan.
It was from a local flea market. I think it is possibly Islamic or used for a form of Hindu practice.
The seller didn't know - he bought it in Thailand.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

Solved. It is a Persian Qajar Candle Holder. The Middle part is upside down. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm Solved. It is a Persian Qajar Candle Holder. The Middle part is upside down. :)

Wow...how cool ! I thought it looked Persian...

Look at this for $5,000 :

http://armsandantiques.com/fine-19th-c- ... icks-ii486
User avatar
cyril
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by cyril »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm Solved. It is a Persian Qajar Candle Holder. The Middle part is upside down. :)

Wow...how cool ! I thought it looked Persian...

Look at this for $5,000 :

http://armsandantiques.com/fine-19th-c- ... icks-ii486
But wouldn't that be a pity, spending $5k on a couple of candle-holders? When you could just add $1k more and become recognized as a living female budha?

https://www.generosity.com/faith-religi ... ter-buddha

Sorry, KL, couldn't resist... :jumping:
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

cyril wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:32 pm Sorry, KL, couldn't resist...
:jumping:


Yeah...and you'd probably have to renew it every year :lol:
User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by TharpaChodron »

I thought it was an ancient chocolate fountain.
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:40 am I thought it was an ancient chocolate fountain.

Well, it's an idea which may yet come to fruition! lol :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm
Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm Solved. It is a Persian Qajar Candle Holder. The Middle part is upside down. :)

Wow...how cool ! I thought it looked Persian...

Look at this for $5,000 :

http://armsandantiques.com/fine-19th-c- ... icks-ii486
Cost me £60. Late birthday present to myself. Fantastic little market in Bath - you never know what will turn up. The same guy is also selling North Vietnamese textiles. :shrug: :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 21590
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Grigoris »

cyril wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:32 pmBut wouldn't that be a pity, spending $5k on a couple of candle-holders? When you could just add $1k more and become recognized as a living female budha?

https://www.generosity.com/faith-religi ... ter-buddha

Sorry, KL, couldn't resist... :jumping:
The saddest part is that 52 idiots gave their hard earned cash...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 am The saddest part is that 52 idiots gave their hard earned cash...
My teacher always gave money to the people on the streets....you know, the ones holding up cardboard signs, asking for donations....i told him they'll just spend it on alcohol...he said something to the effect : It's their happiness....
Also don't you create good merits for yourself by giving to others...from your heart...even though you don't know exactly what they will be doing with the money you give. It's the giving from your heart that counts as merit. Maybe that's one way the Bodhisattva's disguise themselves....as vagabonds, or scam artists...to see how much heart you really have....
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Mantrik »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 am The saddest part is that 52 idiots gave their hard earned cash...
My teacher always gave money to the people on the streets....you know, the ones holding up cardboard signs, asking for donations....i told him they'll just spend it on alcohol...he said something to the effect : It's their happiness....
Also don't you create good merits for yourself by giving to others...from your heart...even though you don't know exactly what they will be doing with the money you give. It's the giving from your heart that counts as merit. Maybe that's one way the Bodhisattva's disguise themselves....as vagabonds, or scam artists...to see how much heart you really have....
A good intention, money given, drugs taken and death results. That's a rubbish approach to karma.

You give food, clothes, a voucher for the night shelter, feed their dog etc. You never ever give money.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm You give food,
They could also choke on the food and die ....
User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 21590
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: LARGE BRONZE OFFERING THINGY

Post by Grigoris »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 am The saddest part is that 52 idiots gave their hard earned cash...
My teacher always gave money to the people on the streets....you know, the ones holding up cardboard signs, asking for donations....i told him they'll just spend it on alcohol...he said something to the effect : It's their happiness....
Also don't you create good merits for yourself by giving to others...from your heart...even though you don't know exactly what they will be doing with the money you give. It's the giving from your heart that counts as merit. Maybe that's one way the Bodhisattva's disguise themselves....as vagabonds, or scam artists...to see how much heart you really have....
Well I sincerely hope they use the money to further their Dharma training and practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Post Reply

Return to “Shrine Room”