Lama Tsongkhapa statue with 3rd eye?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Lama Tsongkhapa statue with 3rd eye?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I have found a small tiny statue I presume to be one of Lama Tsongkhapa but the third eye thing kind of throws me off. Can you guys give me your expertise if it is really him? Also there is a small hole in the statue under his legs, do you think it is kosher to be used or can I use some metal to fill it in?
Attachments
f1b0f81b-11c4-46dc-85ce-3ac117a6bc5f.jpeg
f1b0f81b-11c4-46dc-85ce-3ac117a6bc5f.jpeg (139.25 KiB) Viewed 7658 times
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Lama Tsongkhapa statue with 3rd eye?

Post by Ayu »

Because we cannot see the color of the hat, it could be Atisha as well, I believe.
And the spot on the forehead doesn't really look like an eye, I think. It could be a kind of mark as well.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Ayu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:30 pm Because we cannot see the color of the hat, it could be Atisha as well, I believe.
And the spot on the forehead doesn't really look like an eye, I think. It could be a kind of mark as well.

https://up.picr.de/42256385ff.jpeg
Thank you Ayu. Yeah that might be it. Hm okay either Atisha or Lama Tsongkhapa. Shame I cannot ask in the shop as the lady didn't know either.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Is there any way for it to be decided whether it is Lama Tsongkhapa or Atisha outside of the colour of the hat which is lacking?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Hm honestly I'd say it is Lama Tsongkhapa based on the fact he is more ofthen depicted with the two flowers behind him than Atisha is.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:40 pm Hm honestly I'd say it is Lama Tsongkhapa based on the fact he is more ofthen depicted with the two flowers behind him than Atisha is.
Typically, the flanking flower garlands support a text on his left and sword on right.

Shaun :namaste:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

zerwe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:40 pm Hm honestly I'd say it is Lama Tsongkhapa based on the fact he is more ofthen depicted with the two flowers behind him than Atisha is.
Typically, the flanking flower garlands support a text on his left and sword on right.

Shaun :namaste:
Yeah I noticed too but not sure such detail is even possible. :lol: I mean it is really small. But just by the flowers being there it ought to be him I guess.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima, Jigme Phuntsok, Sakya Pandita, Kathok Situ Chokyi Gyamtso....
and many, many more are depicted like Tsongkhapa
Lost In Transmission
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

lelopa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 am Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima, Jigme Phuntsok, Sakya Pandita, Kathok Situ Chokyi Gyamtso....
Gosh darn it. :rolling: Well I guess in this case the statue is what you make it.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 am
lelopa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 am Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima, Jigme Phuntsok, Sakya Pandita, Kathok Situ Chokyi Gyamtso....
Gosh darn it. :rolling: Well I guess in this case the statue is what you make it.
I think Tsongkhapa was much taller than that statue.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Hazel wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:51 am
I think Tsongkhapa was much taller than that statue.
:lol:

No, he just fits between my fingers without my hand getting bigger and he getting smaller! 8-)

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

Sakya Pendita has a rather different hat and, with a slightly different hat, it could have been Ngorchen Künga Zangpo, but no
it all boils down tho the attributes on the two lotuses, not really clear due to the size of the object

He can be as well:
Butön Rinchen Drub
Longchen Rabjampa
Bodong Choglé Namgyel
Jamgön Kongtrül Lodrö Thayé
far from exhaustive
please note that for many teachers there is nowadays a usual or accepted standard representation but it often varied through the times /areas ...
Is it consecrated? if no, if you think Tsongkhapa, have some relevant blessings put inside (well, little place for long dharanis) and ask a lama to bless it as such

Where did you find it?
"Me and the sky don't hold views - Me and the river have no fixed practice
Me and the madman don't have a guide- Me and the rainbow have no experiences
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

nyonchung wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Sakya Pendita has a rather different hat and, with a slightly different hat, it could have been Ngorchen Künga Zangpo, but no
it all boils down tho the attributes on the two lotuses, not really clear due to the size of the object

He can be as well:
Butön Rinchen Drub
Longchen Rabjampa
Bodong Choglé Namgyel
Jamgön Kongtrül Lodrö Thayé
far from exhaustive
please note that for many teachers there is nowadays a usual or accepted standard representation but it often varied through the times /areas ...
Is it consecrated? if no, if you think Tsongkhapa, have some relevant blessings put inside (well, little place for long dharanis) and ask a lama to bless it as such

Where did you find it?
There isn't really any space for any blessing substances it is fully metal without a hole. So I guess just a blessing without filling. And I found it in my local "Tibet shop". That place is strange as they have some amazing statues that can be quite hard to find for example I have a small iron statue of Achi Chokyi Drolma and now I am saving up for Mahakala from Drikung tradition as well. IT is a lovely shop and the lady is just sweet.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

So much for me regarding the space, I should have think twice before mentioning it! :tongue:
Seeing the small size of this statue, obviously ther can't be any ...

Maybe you can start a thread "the smallest Buddha statue"? :rolling:

Such small statues are often casted in large series:
- to be blessed by teachers, who will give them to students and sponsors
- to insert in stupas or larger statues

this is nice to have a decent Himalayan art shop around, and with decent prices

All the best
smyon chung
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

nyonchung wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 pm So much for me regarding the space, I should have think twice before mentioning it! :tongue:
Seeing the small size of this statue, obviously ther can't be any ...

Maybe you can start a thread "the smallest Buddha statue"? :rolling:

Such small statues are often casted in large series:
- to be blessed by teachers, who will give them to students and sponsors
- to insert in stupas or larger statues

this is nice to have a decent Himalayan art shop around, and with decent prices

All the best
smyon chung
Hehe yeah you should have. :lol:

You are kidding but I could actually start such thread as I have another statue from probably the same workshop that is a similar size and it is a Yellow Dzambhala, who I thought was black Dzambhala as it is really almost too small to discern. That is what happens whem poor people want statues. :broke:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:58 pm
You are kidding but I could actually start such thread as I have another statue from probably the same workshop that is a similar size and it is a Yellow Dzambhala, who I thought was black Dzambhala as it is really almost too small to discern. That is what happens whem poor people want statues. :brok
They're quite different, no?
here a nice one:
https://www.himalayanart.org/items/65158
rarely found or at absurd prices in websites

as for small Yellow Jambhalas, they're often used in water-washing rituals (didn't practice) or to be installed in nor bum (vase of riches)
did you had it consecrated?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

nyonchung wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:21 pm They're quite different, no?
here a nice one:
https://www.himalayanart.org/items/65158
rarely found or at absurd prices in websites

as for small Yellow Jambhalas, they're often used in water-washing rituals (didn't practice) or to be installed in nor bum (vase of riches)
did you had it consecrated?
They are, however due to the size of it I thought he stood, however it was the half sitting position he makes.

Yeah, they are hard to get ones hands on. I wanted him for a black Dzambhala water offering practice.

Unfortunately not as my lama is quite far away and the pandemic prohibits us from meeting.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Shrine Room”