Largest Buddha statues in the world (top 10)

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Aemilius

Re: Largest Buddha statues in the world (top 10)

Post by Aemilius »

There are some Guan Yin and Kannon statues that would belong to thist list, but author seems to be a theravadin who doesn't accept bodhisattva statues.

The Guanyin of Nanshan (simplified Chinese: 南山海上观音圣像; traditional Chinese: 南山海上觀音聖像) is a 108-metre (354 ft) statue of the bodhisattva Guanyin, sited on the south coast of China's island province Hainan near the Nanshan Temple of Sanya.

Sendai Daikannon (仙台大観音), officially known as the Sendai Tendou Byakue Daikannon (仙台天道白衣大観音), is a large statue of Byakue Kannon (白衣観音) bearing a gem in her hand located in Sendai, Japan.
It is among the tallest statues in the world, and is the tallest statue of a goddess in Japan. As of 2018, it is the fifth tallest statue in the world at 100 metres (330 ft)
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

The Guishan Guanyin of the Thousand Hands and Eyes is located in Ningxiang, Hunan province, and is the fourth-tallest statue in China, and the sixth-tallest in the world. It is a gilded bronze monument depicting a manifestation of the Bodhisattva Guanyin known as Shiyimian Qianshou Guanyin (Traditional Chinese: 十一面千手觀音, Simplified Chinese: 十一面千手观音), meaning the "Eleven-headed Thousand-armed Guanyin", which stands at 99 m (325 ft) tall. The Ningshan County Government, with the help of local business and religious organizations, invested 260 million yuan to complete its construction in 2009
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

48 meters high Samantabhadra on Mount Emei Shan in Sichuan province China.
svaha
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Not the biggest but my favorite - the Leshan Big Buddha. The dude abides.
leshandafo.jpg
leshandafo.jpg (743.44 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

My personal favorite:

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

If I were an artistic fancy-fancy whom people pay to create statues, I would select an open field far away from any cities and build three sculptures in a line. The first would be a naturalistic depiction of Gautama Buddha engaged in fasting austerities before his awakening, seated on the ground in meditation. On the other side, perhaps some three acres away in the distance, I would have a large standing saṃbhogakāya buddharūpa built, with 32 major marks and 80 minor marks, sculpted with the appropriate mathematical dimensions on a large scale. Between these two, in the centre, I would have a sculpture of a nondescript plain empty chair, perhaps even a fold-up chair like one that you might take out for a barbecue. That's my idea of some good pretentious Buddhist art, not that any of the actual Buddhist art presented in this thread is pretentious.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Caoimhghín wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:36 pmBetween these two, in the centre, I would have a sculpture of a nondescript plain empty chair, perhaps even a fold-up chair like one that you might take out for a barbecue. That's my idea of some good pretentious Buddhist art, not that any of the actual Buddhist art presented in this thread is pretentious.
That will only work if you also have a statue of Clint Eastwood debating with it.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I had the good fortune of seeing one of these in DC (I think it was). Nothing is bigger than television.

Return to “Shrine Room”