Input on my altar/prayer space please

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
jamesL

Input on my altar/prayer space please

Post by jamesL »

https://ibb.co/XWTLMwm

Been reading and reading about do's and dont's, and theres a LOT of variation. Im trying to just get the basics/necessities down so as not to show disrespect. Small buddha statue at highest point, with 3 candles representing the 3 jewels, 7 small offering bowls, incense(behind bowls), and my malas to the left in a bag. Is the layout/placement correct/acceptable? I appreciate any input given. I want to get off on the right foot.

Thank you!
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Input on my altar/prayer space please

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

very nice. Not too complicated, not a lot of distractions!
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
jamesL

Post by jamesL »

Thank you for the kind reply. It seems theres endless variations. I just want to make sure I get the core layout correct.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

jamesL wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:08 am Thank you for the kind reply. It seems theres endless variations. I just want to make sure I get the core layout correct.
Whatever layout speaks to you is the correct layout.

If you have a master oyu might want to emulate a bit the layout of his altar or how altars are in that lineage. Etc.

To be honest with you, the space you have for the altar is incredible! Really perfect.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jamesL

Post by jamesL »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 am
jamesL wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:08 am Thank you for the kind reply. It seems theres endless variations. I just want to make sure I get the core layout correct.

If you have a master oyu might want to emulate a bit the layout of his altar or how altars are in that lineage. Etc.

To be honest with you, the space you have for the altar is incredible! Really perfect.

Thank you! I had read that certain things are supposed to be higher, or behind others, etc. Ill just keep things simple for now.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jamesL wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:40 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 am

Thank you! I had read that certain things are supposed to be higher, or behind others, etc. Ill just keep things simple for now.
The three thigns you are supposed to have on a shrine are representations of Buddha's body, speech, and mind. You only have body. You also need a book, a sutra like heart sutra, etc., and a small stupa, for speech and mind respectively.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:37 pm The three thigns you are supposed to have on a shrine are representations of Buddha's body, speech, and mind. You only have body. You also need a book, a sutra like heart sutra, etc., and a small stupa, for speech and mind respectively.
Alternately, objects representing Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. This was the instruction from my root Lama. Thus; a Buddha image, a text of some kind, and a picture of one’s teacher or HH Dalai Lama, Karmapa, etc.
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Do a web image search with the phrase:
“My Buddhist shrine”
...and you’ll be amazed at the variety. It seems very personal, at least in the west.

In the East, I’m not so sure how much variation there is, aside from style (traditional or modern) of the table or cabinet. Modern home shrines in Japan are very, well... modern.

Vajrayana shrines tend to be visually horizontal, but with levels like steps, with perhaps a cabinet behind it or on either side. Chinese Mahayana shrines, perhaps styled after Taoist shrines, tend to be vertical, with everything happening in sort of a boxed-in area.

Interestingly, Thai Buddhist shrines (maybe all Theravada?) are made of a collection of small tables stacked upon each other and next to each other.
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Shrine Room”