Carving Buddha statues

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
avatamsaka3

Carving Buddha statues

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Has anyone here learned how to carve Buddha statues in stone or wood? If you have, how long did it take you to learn? And how long would it take me to learn without any sculpting experience? Are there any upasakas out there who dedicate themselves to this kind of thing?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Carving Buddha statues

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Look up Enkū , the “carver of 100,000 Buddhas”. Do an image search and look at his work.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Sounds good... I'd like to learn how to make statues myself.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

When I was really ill a few years ago, I hung out with a stone carver who was trying to get me to channel my energy into something productive. It was really challenging, and I only made a very amateurish looking face, but it was fun and worthwhile. He, on the other hand, was making incredibly skillful work.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Anyone know a stone/wood carver that makes Buddha statues?
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I'll ask a friend.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

My friend wanted to ask where are you located?

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Samsara for now.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I know someone who is a stone sculptor. Her name is Francis Jansen; she is quite good. Here is her website: www.graceinstone.com. If you're really serious, I believe I can connect you with her. She might also be able to connect you with someone who makes Buddha statues. I used to meet with her every week. I talked to two friends and they both said if you're trying to sculpt you need to gain some experience before going for serious training.

Return to “Shrine Room”