Question about Right Livelihood

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
KiwiNFLFan

Question about Right Livelihood

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I am a software developer currently looking for full-time work. While I would not work for any company whose business is considered wrong livelihood, such as the meat industry or the military (which is pretty small here), what about working for a company who has such businesses among its clients? Would it be wrong livelihood to work for a software company that has farms or meat processing plants among its clients (as well as other clients whose business is not wrong livelihood)?

Also, provided that working for such a company is not wrong livelihood, would it be required to mention in the interview that one is a Buddhist and objects to working on projects for companies in the meat industry (which may reduce the chance of getting hired), or would it be ok to keep quiet about that in the interview and mention it when one starts the job?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Question about Right Livelihood

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

In the United States, employers are prohibited from asking about an applicant’s religion. Bringing it up at a job interview is inappropriate. Actually, it is irrelevant: you can still hold the same ethical beliefs if you were an atheist. Formally following a religion doesn’t somehow make one’s beliefs more valid.

As far as right livelihood, everything is connected to some degree. You pay for highways on which meat is transported, for example.
Wrong livelihood would mean actually killing the animal.
Then, to a lesser degree, cutting and selling meat. Then, to an even lesser degree, maybe advertising it or something like that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SilenceMonkey

Re: Question about Right Livelihood

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Words of Buddha:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

I think “business” in this sutta would refer to buying and selling, specifically.

I found this thread on wrong livelihood on dhammawheel, and I think Kim’s answer is very good. (As is PVS’ response above.)
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5284

Return to “Ethical Conduct”