Using a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your wallpaper?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
KiwiNFLFan

Using a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your wallpaper?

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I remember reading on the website of a certain "teacher" that one shouldn't use a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your computer wallpaper as it is disrespectful. However, I was later told by a monk that this "teacher" is not Buddhist.

So do you think it is ok to use a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your computer wallpaper?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Using a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your wallpaper?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:01 am I remember reading on the website of a certain "teacher" that one shouldn't use a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your computer wallpaper as it is disrespectful. However, I was later told by a monk that this "teacher" is not Buddhist.

So do you think it is ok to use a picture of a Buddha or Bodhisattva as your computer wallpaper?
Yes.
This doesn’t mean it is always done respectfully.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes. I think it is respectful as long as the image is being treated respectfully. I don't put any files on his face, e.g.

Also I read on Lama yeshe.com that those devices that contain Buddha images or Dharma scriptures should be treated as respectfully as Dharma books. Means: don't put the computer or the mobile on the ground or other places where you put your feet.

When I start my computer and first image I see is Buddha's this is a good reminder for me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I was once invited to a dinner party and the hostess had brought paper napkins with pictures of the Buddha on them in a bid to impress me. :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:33 am Yes. I think it is respectful as long as the image is being treated respectfully. I don't put any files on his face, e.g.
I feel the same way, but a lot of people have full-screen wallpaper which would make that rule hard to follow.
Solution: don't use a Buddha image as wallpaper but use it as a screensaver.
Or use other dharmic images for wallpaper. Mine come randomly from a folder which I refresh from time to time. They are landscapes, one or two inspirational memes, photos of temples, some of my own wildlife photos ...

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:06 am I was once invited to a dinner party and the hostess had brought paper napkins with pictures of the Buddha on them in a bid to impress me. :smile:
We're told that the intention is what matters, but ...

One fail which I've remembered for years is the upmarket Thai restaurant which placed a large Buddha in its little, well-kept garden area. So far, so good, but the pigeons' favourite perch was just above his head. :toilet:
I did speak to them about it but I don't know if anything came of it because I haven't been back in that city since then.

:coffee:
Kim
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Hi, I've attached two images.
One is an image I like to open when I use my computer, mostly for work.
It's the central Amida Buddha image at Chion-in Temple in Japan, the main Jodo Shu temple in Japan.

The other attachment shows where I place the output window for my work software.
When I see work as an offering to Amida Buddha, I do a better job and enjoy my job more.

I don't use Buddhist images as wallpapers, because they get covered with icons and windows very fast, like others said.

I think common sense and sincerity are your best bet here.
So maybe higher on the screen, no windows covering the face. Don't open it then forget about it. It can be the first thing you open and last thing you close, whatever seems to help you.

Master Shantao said contemplating the venerable images is equal to seeing the real Buddha.
Familiarity can lead to affection, and affection for the tathagatas is precious in a world like this.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (938.25 KiB) Viewed 6429 times
Chion-in Amida image.jpg
Chion-in Amida image.jpg (253.01 KiB) Viewed 6429 times
Namu Amida Butsu
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

You shouldn’t have a Buddha wallpaper on a computer
But it’s okay to have millions of tiny colored pixels
Arranged in such as way so that
Within your own mind they
Create the visualized thought of a buddha.

:jumping: :rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

I'm a impressed by it! Wow :yinyang:
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

// Namo Amida Butsu (Nembutsu)

Namo Amida Butsu (Nembutsu)

Namo Amida Butsu. / / (Nembutsu) . . . . CHANT!
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:59 am
Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:06 am I was once invited to a dinner party and the hostess had brought paper napkins with pictures of the Buddha on them in a bid to impress me. :smile:
We're told that the intention is what matters, but ...

One fail which I've remembered for years is the upmarket Thai restaurant which placed a large Buddha in its little, well-kept garden area. So far, so good, but the pigeons' favourite perch was just above his head. :toilet:
I did speak to them about it but I don't know if anything came of it because I haven't been back in that city since then.

:coffee:
Kim
Japan is pretty nice! :twothumbsup: But you have to fly to Japan buy Airliner Jet.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”