Spiders/Arachnophobia

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
doublerepukken

Spiders/Arachnophobia

Post by doublerepukken »

Hey all,

Occasionally I'll see quite a big spider in my house, I live in the Philippines. I am a big arachnophobic, unfortunately as a child I had a horrible experience with spiders, I cannot even get near them. My method as of now is just throwing something in their general direction to get them to at least be out of sight, but I sometimes can't sleep unless I see one and know it's dead, however I feel just awful doing it and I know spiders are beneficial creatures to have around. Poor guy can't help that he looks creepy. Any advice is much appreciated.

Ethan
南無阿弥陀仏
なむ あみだ ぶつ
Namu Amida Butsu
jet.urgyen

Re: Spiders/Arachnophobia

Post by jet.urgyen »

doublerepukken wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm Hey all,

Occasionally I'll see quite a big spider in my house, I live in the Philippines. I am a big arachnophobic, unfortunately as a child I had a horrible experience with spiders, I cannot even get near them. My method as of now is just throwing something in their general direction to get them to at least be out of sight, but I sometimes can't sleep unless I see one and know it's dead, however I feel just awful doing it and I know spiders are beneficial creatures to have around. Poor guy can't help that he looks creepy. Any advice is much appreciated.

Ethan
hi, any chance to get a repelent? maybe that can do. so you don't kill and feel more secure. some insects are repelled with garlic scented water, so there might be a more natural way.

arachnophobia can be cured, anyone knows?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Arachnophobia can be cured. So can most other phobias, in most people, with patience and commitment.
The process is basically to take small steps, and get used to the idea that *this* is okay (whatever step it is) so the next step might be okay too.

One Australian science writer decided to tackle her fear in this way and ended up writing a book about it. From watching small spiders at safe distances, she worked up to letting a tarantula walk on her hand.
When hordes of giant spiders invaded Lynne Kelly's dreams, she decided it was time to overcome her arachnophobia by getting to know the creature intimately. This extensive introduction answers every basic question about spiders, including articles on web-building, the most venomous and dangerous species, and, of course, arachnid romance. An illustrated guide to identifying webs, a list of useful spider-watching equipment, observations sheets, and dozens of photographs of common species are also provided. Along the way, Lynne explains how she overcame her own arachnophobia, and provides tips and hints on how any arachnophobe can do the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Spiders-Learning ... t_ep_dpi_5
She has now flipped completely, wearing spider-themed jewellery and blogging about the spidery friends in her garden.

Very few spiders, even in the tropics, are actually dangerous to us and they do play a useful part in the food-chain. It's better for yourself and for them if you can get over your fears than if you continue to be fearful and continue to kill harmless creatures.

:namaste:
Kim
reiun

Post by reiun »

Ethan
Sorry about that! My daughter (30) doesn't care for spiders either. Around here, I use the following method on the occasional indoor visit by lizards, (whom I love and commune with on the patio while enjoying coffee each morning), to usher them outside, which you might consider, if safe: Using a bowl and its lid, if thin enough, or a piece of cardboard, trap the non-poisonous spider with the bowl, slide the cardboard under it to safely trap the spider, then show it the door. Wear gloves and a long sleeved shirt to be safer. If your area is known to have poisonous spiders, I would absolutely stay away and just take a picture if possible, so you can identify it and get professional help.

I am not a therapist (retired), so I can only provide a comment as a non-professional. In the DSM, you can find information about Specific Phobia under 300.29. There is a specific subtype, "Animal Type". Sometimes Cognitive Behavior Therapy is used to treat it, with techniques like exposure therapy (desensitization). And sometimes the condition exists alongside of another diagnosis (comorbid), so that possibility can be the subject of therapy as well. You should consult a professional, who may be able to help you overcome or manage this fear.

Best wishes to you.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm Very few spiders, even in the tropics, are actually dangerous to us
But it's a good idea to find out which ones are. And better not go to Australia.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tingdzin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 am
Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm Very few spiders, even in the tropics, are actually dangerous to us
But it's a good idea to find out which ones are.
Yes, if possible.
And better not go to Australia.
Why not?
We have lots of spiders, true, but very few spiders, even in Australia, are actually dangerous to us.
And - even better - the really dangerous ones live underground and are very timid.

If you want to see the most dangerous species on the planet, look in the mirror.
Seriously.

:namaste:
Kim
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I was just making a joke about funnel webs, which make me a bit uneasy when I see them on nature shows (and I live in the tropics). I'm sure there are countless Aussie spiders I wouldn't mind shaking hands with.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tingdzin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:09 am I was just making a joke about funnel webs, which make me a bit uneasy when I see them on nature shows (and I live in the tropics). I'm sure there are countless Aussie spiders I wouldn't mind shaking hands with.
That's okay, then, but jokes don't travel well over the internet. It's usually best to use a few more words, or smileys, to make sure your intentions are clear.

:coffee:
Kim

:focus:
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Ethan
Any phobia can be cured. I used to have cynophobia and still have Entomophobia (I'm afraid of buzzing insects). Since we have a dog and I got to know it, then my cynophobia disappeared. Generally knowing more informations about the things your're afraid of helps to ease the fear. My fear of buzzing insects hasn't been so intense since I understood how the buzzing sound is made. Just contemplate about it. You're on the right direction.
Memento mori
Remember that you die
reiun

Post by reiun »

Pop culture article on why spiders (or spikers!) might be beneficial:

https://metro.co.uk/2015/11/27/9-reason ... y-5529432/
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

doublerepukken wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm but I sometimes can't sleep unless I see one and know it's dead, however I feel just awful doing it and I know spiders are beneficial creatures to have around. Poor guy can't help that he looks creepy. Any advice is much appreciated.
clear plastic cup and a thick piece of paper

Return to “Ethical Conduct”