Dating

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Trik444

Dating

Post by Trik444 »

I recently made an incredible connection with a woman, and we practice at the same Temple. (Yeah I know 2 Buddhist with a connection who would have thought). So I guess technically we are dating. Problem is she feels a little concern about our Master seeing right through her, like we are doing something wrong. Especially when she drops her son off for a weekend of instruction from master, and we spend time together. I tried reassuring her that it's not like a one-night stand and nothing to feel guilty about. Pretty sure no one at Temple knows what's going on (no PDA), so any outside advice is appreciated.
Thank you
muni

Re: Dating

Post by muni »

Hello Sir,

There can be relationships without grasping for selfish purpose. Many Masters are married as well. The welfare of each other and all around is priority, supporting each other, encouraging each other, inspiring each other.

Talk about together with the Master, please. He/She can provide you what is appropriate in this case, to bring clarity and guide.

All the best.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Trik444 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:50 am I recently made an incredible connection with a woman, and we practice at the same Temple. (Yeah I know 2 Buddhist with a connection who would have thought). So I guess technically we are dating. Problem is she feels a little concern about our Master seeing right through her, like we are doing something wrong. Especially when she drops her son off for a weekend of instruction from master, and we spend time together. I tried reassuring her that it's not like a one-night stand and nothing to feel guilty about. Pretty sure no one at Temple knows what's going on (no PDA), so any outside advice is appreciated.
Thank you
I suspect that either you or she or both are carrying the conditioning of another religion and projecting it onto your teacher.
Hard to say without knowing more about your lineage.
Why not ask him?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Berry

Post by Berry »

Trik444 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:50 am Problem is she feels a little concern about our Master seeing right through her, like we are doing something wrong. Especially when she drops her son off for a weekend of instruction from master, and we spend time together.
Can I ask the age of your girlfriend's son, please ?
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
Trik444

Post by Trik444 »

Son is 15
Berry

Post by Berry »

I don't understand why your girlfriend would want to deceive her teacher and others at the temple, or leave her 15 yr old son there while she's with you.

I would therefore suggest that you have some calm, sensible discussions about the situation with both your girlfriend and your teacher.
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

You are lay, she is lay, no problem. There is no need, reason or obligation for your kind of relationship to be clandestine.

man if you harm no one, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The other thing to add is that what if they break up? I have seen it where couples break up and then one will not go to temple anymore. It's one thing if it was one person making the other one go, but if they were both going there before they got together and then they break up, it can cause some type of issue. I have seen these things happen before.

Alot of companies don't like their employees to date because the boss thinks that if they break up he will probably lose one of his employees.
The same thing might be at play here.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The comment before this one also brings to mind that all situations arise from conditions. This is important to keep in mind. You both have some things in common. But aside from the Dharma, what else do you really share? Maybe a lot, maybe not. None of my business either way, but definitely your business. Buddhist practice has a very magnetizing effect on people. If you are both very devoted to your Buddhist practice, that can artificially be experienced as feeling devotion to each other. All I’m suggesting is to take a deep look into that. But best wishes.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

The OP has not returned to DW since January so this thread is locked. Discussion of dating is welcome to continue but please start a new thread.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”