Improve sleep

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
yinyangkoi

Improve sleep

Post by yinyangkoi »

Any tips on improving sleep?

Here is what I do already: Use bed only for sleeping (and sex), practice metta during the period of laying in bed and falling asleep.
Should I try sleeping on the floor? I have a really comfy bed right now.
Svalaksana

Re: Improve sleep

Post by Svalaksana »

Oftentimes I have trouble falling asleep, when I get to bed my head is usually all over the place, not to mention that I regularly suffer from tinitus and insomnia. Nevertheless I have found more recently that mentally going through, as if internally chanting, songs of realization, gitas and dohas, particularly from Saraha and from the mahamudra tradition, as well as Zen songs like Shitou's Song of the Grass Roof Hermitage or Sengcan's Trust in Mind, work incredibly well in dispelling the intellectual hubbub brought from everyday life and are quite efficient in putting me to sleep.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I know only the important (not explicitly buddhist) remedy to minimize or cancel screen time before sleep and to increase nature time.
Leave the phone at home and walk into the park, woods, beach or whatever on a daily base.

Exhaust yourself physically as a counterbalance to mental exhaustion.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I'm sensitive when it comes to sleep. Here are some things that help me:

Not going to bed on an empty stomach. And not eating within a couple hours before bed.

Taking a shower before bed. You don't want to bring all the emotions from the day into your bed. Relax and wash it off, be clean.

Good exercise during the day (not before bed) can go a long way.

And a Shamatha practice does wonders.
(Not in bed, sitting practice)

Body scan from top down (not the other way around) can help. Insomnia is a result of energies rising up (to the head). Body scan can help to bring them down again, your body can then relax and fall asleep...

Stretching in a relaxed way... massaging your legs and feet.

You can also use the power of your intention to influence your biological clock. Just be aware throughout the day that "I'm going to sleep at 9pm, wake up in the morning at 5pm." (or whatever the time will be) After a few days of this, you should see a bit of change. If your mind is strong, you might even wake up at the time you set in your mind, despite going to sleep later than you had planned.

Being aware of the time of nature also helps. Being aware of the time of day out the window... how much light? Is the morning just starting? What's the color and feeling of light in nature? (outside)

A routine/schedule also helps. Eg. Having school or a full time job.
If you have a reason to wake up at a certain time, your body may make it happen. If you have to get a few things done beforehand, by merely being aware of this, your body might wake up to make time for it. (You just have to get your ass out of bed)

And try to keep your phone and computer out of the bedroom. An analog clock (alarm clock) helps.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

When I quit drinking, I started having way more energy.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Rick

Post by Rick »

yinyangkoi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 am Any tips on improving sleep?
Have you tried 4-7-8 breathing?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I'd suggest not practicing anything too hard when trying to fall asleep. I mostly try to make my intention as virtuous as possible but in a very relaxed manner.

Otherwise you ought to work with your life in general. Can you be regular when it comes to your sleep schedule? IT really helps. Also going out and having some fresh air and some sun exposure is really good for you and your sleep rythm. Also the rythm of food, not eating too late, etc. It all plays part. So my advice would be to see it in a holistic way. Eat heavier foods. avoid stimulants, be regular.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

yinyangkoi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 am Any tips on improving sleep?

Here is what I do already: Use bed only for sleeping (and sex), practice metta during the period of laying in bed and falling asleep.
Should I try sleeping on the floor? I have a really comfy bed right now.
Exercise such as cardio for 20-30 min a day and/or difficult resistant training for 30-60 min (depending on the program). Preferably this is done before one's lunch time and definitely before dinner so one has plenty of time to shift back into a relaxed state. A carb heavy meal is known to promote good sleep as well, so either at dinner or light carb snacks before bed, but not too close to bed, each person is different with this food timing and digestive comfort before sleep. Then as you lay down to sleep take Refuge and practice shamatha without an object. If you use alcohol or pot these can disrupt sleep cycles, especially excessive alcohol. So consider moderation or abstinence if that's an issue.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”