covid experiences

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.

Which of the following have you experienced?

I have covid now or had in the past and recovered.
6%
I know family and friends who have had covid and recovered.
29%
I know some family and friends who have died from covid.
6%
I have never had covid, afaik.
43%
None of my family and friends have had covid, afaik.
17%

Total votes: 35

DNS
Site Admin

covid experiences

Post by DNS »

Just curious what members here have experienced with the covid pandemic. You can select up to 3 choices.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: covid experiences

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

:shrug: I thought I had it myself, but tested negative so unsure. One family member died, one recovered but will probably never be the same. Another friend got it early - before they even knew what was going on very well, got a stroke (likely a result of the clotting stuff) and has mostly recovered, but again will likely never be quite the same.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Haven't had it, and get my second vaccine next week.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I don't think I have had it (afaik). There was a few day period about a year ago where I had a very bad headache, generally did not feel good, but no cough, no trouble breathing. I've been around some people who had it, but apparently never got it. I know a few people who have died from it, but none of my family or friends.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Australia has been lucky, as you may know, being (1) an island nation (2) a country with a first-world medical system and (3) a country with governments not afraid to risk unpopularity by enforcing lock-downs.
(Re #3, by the way, state governments which dealt with it effectively have been rewarded at the ballot box by being re-elected with increased majorities in those states which have held elections in the last year.)
My part of the country has been even luckier, being relatively remote and not tourism dependent. I've never had COVID, afaik, and neither have close family or friends. One friend overseas (France) has lost a close family member to it, while another not-very-close friend here picked it up in Europe and arrived home with it, and recovered.

:namaste:
Kim
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I can't vote. I have a young family member who is living in Stockholm. She survived a covid sickness months ago, but her sense of smell or taste is still numb.

If one doesn't consider what this really means, it sounds as if she was lucky. But she's a sensitive fragile young woman at the beginning of her life trying to find her position in this confusing world.
I think, not being able to smell for months, not tasting what food she is chewing, is a heavy inconvenience and a severe hindrance to a healthy psyche. And nobody can tell her, if or when those senses come back
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

And my very best friend since 40 years joined the group of covid-deniers.
She was a political interested person all her life. Just some months before the pandemy started, she moved to another city and had to begin from zero in building up new social contacts. She made friends with a political group in her neighborhood and as soon as the pandemy started, they all jumped on the track of "Covid is an exaggeration in order to make the pharma-industry rich!"
They don't see the problem in countless deaths worldwide.

We tried to keep contact avoiding the topic of covid. But the topic is too important and too present. Both of us are afraid of a genuine discussion about it. Therefore we had no conversation since months.
It's really sad.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 am Australia has been lucky, as you may know, being (1) an island nation (2) a country with a first-world medical system and (3) a country with governments not afraid to risk unpopularity by enforcing lock-downs.
(Re #3, by the way, state governments which dealt with it effectively have been rewarded at the ballot box by being re-elected with increased majorities in those states which have held elections in the last year.)
My part of the country has been even luckier, being relatively remote and not tourism dependent. I've never had COVID, afaik, and neither have close family or friends. One friend overseas (France) has lost a close family member to it, while another not-very-close friend here picked it up in Europe and arrived home with it, and recovered.

Kim
I too am in Australia and my experiences and thoughts are pretty much exactly like Kim's.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 am Australia has been lucky, as you may know, being (1) an island nation (2) a country with a first-world medical system and (3) a country with governments not afraid to risk unpopularity by enforcing lock-downs.

Kim
Nova Scotia is similar. They closed the border with other provinces early, in addition to the federally-mandated closure of the international border. Travel is still permitted, but there are strict rules on quarantine on one's return, which serve to limit discretionary travel. The quarantine rules are enforced, and mostly respected. Mask mandates and social distancing are mostly respected as well.

The result is that our infection rate is the envy of North America. Our daily new case load is typically in the low single digits, mostly travel-related, and mostly caught in quarantine. There is very little community spread.

The vaccine roll-out is disappointingly slow, but it is happening. My age group will be eligible to book our first shot next week.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”