Colds

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
avatamsaka3

Colds

Post by avatamsaka3 »

So what are some good remedies for the common cold? I'm not talking about obvious ones I'd already know about. How to reduce the soreness and stuffiness? (Not currently sick, just wondering.)
Punya

Re: Colds

Post by Punya »

Not cheap, but I have used these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2255437675
https://www.youngliving.com/en_AU/produ ... ential-oil

They are similar essential oil products, so you are likely to find other variations of them in other parts of the world.

The advice I received was two drops on the tongue every hour at the first sign of cold or flu symptoms. I tend to use them a bit less frequently. I generally recover within a day or two. Not so useful if the infection takes hold and continues beyond Day 2.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Thanks for these ideas. But the second one says:
Cautions: ... For external use only. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Interesting. I first tried Young Living's 'Thieves' more than 10 years ago on the advice of a naturopath. When my local health food shop changed hands, they switched to stocking DoTerra OnGuard (presumably because it's cheaper). It seems DoTerra was established by former executives from Young Living.

In these times, there is an obvious need to be extra cautious about making claims that a product, not produced by the pharmaceutical industry, assists in treating colds and flu. I've not had any reason to look before, but it seems there are various views about these products online. I can only tell you my own experience has been positive.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Ginger lemon tea! (can put in honey to make it sweeter)

Also steaming is good for stuffiness. And neti pot even better. I use something called nasal rinse from neil med. It's basically neti but a squirt bottle you fill with warm water and salt. It works wonders. For people with sinus issues, it makes quality of life so much better.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

https://upyournosedrops.com/

This is one of the most effective products I've ever used for sinus issues. It hurts, but it works crazily well. It's more relevant I think to secondary bacterial sinus issues, but IME that is often a big part of the misery of colds. These at the very least prevent me from getting any kind of bacterial infection and provide sinus relief, especially when put in a neti pot along with the normal saline solution.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I know many good remedies against upcoming colds.

One of my family's secret remedies against a starting infection in the throat is to gargle with alcohol-free mouth rinse. It works against bacteria and viruses as well.
It's also a first aid against starting herpes bubbles on the skin.

Another main remedy against cold in any state is inhaling salty water steam: put your face over a bowl with hot salted water, a cloth on the head for keeping the steam directed to your face. Three times a day can be a great relief.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all....does anyone use 3 garlic pearls to dry the sinus (no, do not put them up your nose)...and water...lots ( you can pour the amount for the day and make sure it disappears ) and wash your dishes by hand...if you are protecting a manicure and use household gloves, you may not be doing yourself a favor...runny nose pretty fingernails :thinking:

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”