How are you staying active during the pandemic?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
shoe

How are you staying active during the pandemic?

Post by shoe »

Hey guys,
It's been a while, how are you staying active during the pandemic? Tips are appreciated!
FiveSkandhas

Re: How are you staying active during the pandemic?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Riding on my bicycle through the city forest or small empty streets - with earphones listening to relaxing music.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, pushups, planks, bicycle crunches, jumping jacks.
Nerd Fitness is a site with good information (although a lot) for working out at home.
Exercise circuits instead of doing one exercise over and over have been better for me also.

I also find my exercises need to remind me of the Dharma or I grow to dislike them.
Squats for instance can be a funny kind of bow to the Three Jewels.
10 pushups can be 10 precepts.
Visualize during a plank as preparation for practicing under physical duress.
It's been fun to explore.

Also regularity. When it becomes ordinary, it's easy to keep up over time.

Good luck!
Namu Amida Butsu
shoe

Post by shoe »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:34 pm Bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, pushups, planks, bicycle crunches, jumping jacks.
Nerd Fitness is a site with good information (although a lot) for working out at home.
Exercise circuits instead of doing one exercise over and over have been better for me also.

I also find my exercises need to remind me of the Dharma or I grow to dislike them.
Squats for instance can be a funny kind of bow to the Three Jewels.
10 pushups can be 10 precepts.
Visualize during a plank as preparation for practicing under physical duress.
It's been fun to explore.

Also regularity. When it becomes ordinary, it's easy to keep up over time.

Good luck!
Just checked out the NerdFitness. Thanks! My gym closed.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

My local boxing gym is open for now, it’s able to meet the state safety requirements due to its size. Been doing it for 4 or 5 months now, best shape I’ve ever been in.

I also have a home gym, had lots of equipment for a while, but didn’t set it all up until lockdown.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Lots of my yoga friends adopted online classes during our lockdown, and some of them liked the convenience so much that they haven't yet made it back to the studio.

:coffee:
Kim
shoe

Post by shoe »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 am My local boxing gym is open for now, it’s able to meet the state safety requirements due to its size. Been doing it for 4 or 5 months now, best shape I’ve ever been in.

I also have a home gym, had lots of equipment for a while, but didn’t set it all up until lockdown.
Yeah, equipment is difficult to get a hold of after lockdown. Good thing you had it beforehand.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

shoe wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:52 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 am My local boxing gym is open for now, it’s able to meet the state safety requirements due to its size. Been doing it for 4 or 5 months now, best shape I’ve ever been in.

Yeah, equipment is difficult to get a hold of after lockdown. Good thing you had it beforehand.
IDK, I had trouble right after the lockdown here (US, WA state). Since then nothing has been terribly hard to come by. I've bought a TRX, some punching bags, lots of different boxing equipment, rowing machine.

The rowing machine btw is pretty cool as far as exercise equipment goes. It's not really my bag, it was my wife's deal, It's surprisingly effective full-body exercise though, a lot more than I expected.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DrWho

Post by DrWho »

Got a new dog. Was going for 3-5 mile walks with him about 5-6 times per week. After each walk, I would take him swimming with me for 30mins to an hour.

After all that I was done, but the dog could prob keep going all day long.

Unfourtantly it's winter now, and I don't feel much like leaving the house, the dog isn't very happy with that.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DrWho wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 pm Got a new dog. Was going for 3-5 mile walks with him about 5-6 times per week. After each walk, I would take him swimming with me for 30mins to an hour.

After all that I was done, but the dog could prob keep going all day long.

Unfourtantly it's winter now, and I don't feel much like leaving the house, the dog isn't very happy with that.
You have to go out with a dog. This is their advantage. You'll become immune against weather. There is no bad weather, there is only wrong clothing.
DrWho

Post by DrWho »

Ayu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm You have to go out with a dog. This is their advantage. You'll become immune against weather. There is no bad weather, there is only wrong clothing.
Yeah, I know. Winter is a terrible season for me. I suffer from seasonal sadness. It's hard to work up the energy but I really should continue walking with him. He goes crazy when I don't.

He is an EXTREMELY energetic breed of dog. He is a coonhound.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american ... coonhound/
American English Coonhounds are mellow when off duty but tenacious and stubborn in pursuit of their ring-tailed prey. Their work drive and energy, the patience it takes to train them for things other than coon hunting, and their loud, ringing bark can make the breed a bad fit as house pets for novice owners. Some passionate fans of American English Coonhounds feel that without a sporting outlet for this breed’s houndy virtues, you’re simply wasting a good dog.
This rings VERY VERY true for him. He has more energy than any dog I have ever taken care of. He needs 24/7 engagement, and honestly, I believe his energy requirements to be about 10 miles per day of walking (BARE MINIMUM.) Anything under that and he turns his energy into destruction.

During a three week period where I couldn't walk him, he completely ATE a large 3 seater couch. This was not a small couch, it was extremely heavy, and covered with super-large heavy pillows.

He ate the wood legs off all 4 sides, and then ate the wooden arm wrests, stripped the cloth off, and then he ripped the fabric to shreds.. Then he gutted the pillows, the backrest of the couch, and then the entire bottom of the couch. He left a MOUNTAIN of cotton stuffing. When I came home, he just looked at me like: "Well that was fun, what are we doing next? -- His Tail still wagging, and excited as usual."

:crying:

The dog was purchased by a family member, and when they found out how difficult he is to take care of they wanted to have him put down. I refused, so I am now his unofficial owner. It's been really difficult. In general i don't believe in owning pets, but I had no choice with this guy, he would of otherwise gotten put down. It really angers me that people will buy pets just because they think getting one will make them happy, and then when it doesn't work out they think they can just discard the animal like it's a piece of furnature, or a non living thing. :(

I will likely try to begin a walking regimine for the winter, even if it's way less than my summer walks. Even a 1 mile walk per day should help him some..
Last edited by DrWho on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

DrWho wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Ayu wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm You have to go out with a dog. This is their advantage. You'll become immune against weather. There is no bad weather, there is only wrong clothing.
Yeah, I know. Winter is a terrible season for me. I suffer from seasonal sadness. It's hard to work up the energy but I really should continue walking with him. He goes crazy when I don't.

He is an EXTREMELY energetic breed of dog. He is a coonhound.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american ... coonhound/
American English Coonhounds are mellow when off duty but tenacious and stubborn in pursuit of their ring-tailed prey. Their work drive and energy, the patience it takes to train them for things other than coon hunting, and their loud, ringing bark can make the breed a bad fit as house pets for novice owners. Some passionate fans of American English Coonhounds feel that without a sporting outlet for this breed’s houndy virtues, you’re simply wasting a good dog.
This rings VERY VERY true for him. He has more energy than any dog I have ever taken care of. He needs 24/7 engagement, and honestly, I believe his energy requirements to be about 10 miles per day of walking (BARE MINIMUM.) Anything under that and he turns his energy into destruction.

During a three week period where I couldn't walk him, he completely ATE a large 3 seater couch. This was not a small couch, it was extremely heavy, and covered with super-large heavy pillows.

He ate the wood legs off all 4 sides, and then ate the wooden arm wrests, stripped the cloth off, and then he ripped the fabric to shreds.. Then he gutted the pillows, the backrest of the couch, and then the entire bottom of the couch. He left a MOUNTAIN of cotton stuffing. When I came home, he just looked at me like: "Well that was fun, what are we doing next? -- His Tail still wagging, and excited as usual."

:crying:

The dog was purchased by a family member, and when they found out how difficult he is to take care of they wanted to have him put down. I refused, so I am now his unofficial owner. It's been really difficult. In general i don't believe in owning pets, but I had no choice with this guy, he would of otherwise gotten put down. It really angers me that people will buy pets just because they think getting one will make them happy, and then when it doesn't work out they think they can just discard the animal like it's a piece of furnature, or a non living thing. :(

I will likely try to begin a walking regimine for the winter, even if it's way less than my summer walks. Even a 1 mile walk per day should help him some..
My neighbors had such a strong active dog and although they were a four people family to share the workload they were too stubborn to take appropriate walks with him. When the dog was one year old they realized they cannot take care of him. But then it was nearly too late. It was the most nervous dog I ever saw. It was panting and whining the whole time when it had to stay in the house. Listening to this dog's nervousness could provoke heart attacks, really.

A friend of mine took care of that dog then and she went out with it for at least two hours every day. Then after two YEARS of this treatment, the dog became calm. It was a happy strong dog then.
And it was karma as well. That friend was also a very, very nervous person. She always spoke very loudly and created dramas wherever she could. So, the dog's therapy was her therapy as well.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I tested positive three weeks ago, so i isolated myself at home for two weeks with very little movement except inside my small apartment. After the quarantine period my body was really stiff, but gradually, and after getting back to work, it is getting better.

We have a total curfew every Friday, so today i am stuck at home again. I am planning to go tomorrow to pay some bills and take my mother out to do some shopping as a natural way of exercising for both of us.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Buddha holding the world, and boy who is apparently part apple or pear, wearing masks and washing hands
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”