The Veggie Enthusiast Corner

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
seeker242

Re: The Veggie Enthusiast Corner

Post by seeker242 »

Paul2020 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm Thanks for the handy tip about B12 - I think that's the only thing missing right now. I found vegan drops you put on your food; was thinking of trying those. I guess there's no really easy way to check if your levels are low or not.
I find the easiest/most convenient to take is sublingual liquid. Lab test is the only real way to know your levels. But these days you can just order that online for like $35, go get your blood drawn and they email you the results. Pretty easy as long as you don't live out in the middle of nowhere. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Ok lets try xmas sprouts: you need to chop an apple, squeeze on orange juice and add on some of the remaining orangy chunks. Add some olive oil and a hint of sesame oil. Crush and toast some almonds. Boil the sprouts so they are par cooked on the outside. 2 mins tops. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.

Great for packed lunch. Even if it tastes terrible, (which isn't true_) you'll feel good afterwards. Thirty mins lunch vs 4-10 hours. That's kind of and 8:1 deal minimum!
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Bonus recipe :thinking: :heart:

Coat shallots and sprouts in olive oil. Sprinkle on ground cumin and coriander seeds. Now pop in oven maybe 180 for 20 + mins. (so long as they're not too crispy, it's fine).

You also need a yogurt so for vegans a coconut yogurt works and for veggies a dairy solution. Use some heated non offensive tasting chick peas for extra protein.

mIX the roasties the yogurt the beans/peas. voila!
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 pm Recently I found out that with using flax seed flour it is super easy to create thick sauces I would normally use potato/corn starch to make. Makes me super excited as flax seeds contain omega3's and also other useful things so it adds a nutritional value to my meals.
Unfortunately, cooking destroys the omega3 in flax seeds/oil. Definitely keep using them as a thickener. But, to get the omega3, you need to consume them raw. I put a tablespoon of flax oil on my porridge in the morning after it has been cooked.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

KathyLauren wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 pm Recently I found out that with using flax seed flour it is super easy to create thick sauces I would normally use potato/corn starch to make. Makes me super excited as flax seeds contain omega3's and also other useful things so it adds a nutritional value to my meals.
Unfortunately, cooking destroys the omega3 in flax seeds/oil. Definitely keep using them as a thickener. But, to get the omega3, you need to consume them raw. I put a tablespoon of flax oil on my porridge in the morning after it has been cooked.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Ah, thanks for the tip. I thought it would be the case. :twothumbsup:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
ewomack

Post by ewomack »

I make this extremely easy Lebanese recipe for Humus Msabah fairly often. It's basically softened chickpeas, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and olive oil. I really limit the amount of salt that the original recipe calls for and it still tastes fantastic.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”