Sattvic/Yogic Diet Challenge

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Sattvic/Yogic Diet Challenge

Post by Grigoris »

Raw milk is dangerous. It is best to boil it before drinking unless you want to risk tuberculosis, diphtheria, typhoid, and/or streptococcal infections.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Sunrise,

Ayurveda says that the right quality milk can even replenish Ojas.

Have you checked to see if there is any grass-fed raw milk sold in your area?

Honey seems fine to mix with milk; you just have to be careful to not heat honey, because according to Ayurveda heated honey does not digest properly and can even block small channels in the body. Essentially meaning to only put honey in milk, not when it’s piping hot, but when the milk is just barely warm enough to melt the honey.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 pm Raw milk is dangerous. It is best to boil it before drinking unless you want to risk tuberculosis, diphtheria, typhoid, and/or streptococcal infections.

I’ve drunken gallons of raw milk, and I never got remotely sick. I’ve even clabbered it for five days (let it sit at room temperature to ferment), and was fine. Heated milk will spoil if you do this, but raw milk will simply ferment. Although I think heated milk can be left to ferment for a day or so if you add cultures to it.

Maybe there is some risk with raw milk, but serious affects seem rare. A null point anyway, considering everything I posted on the previous page of this thread about what Ayurveda says about bringing milk to a boil.

The point is, is that yes you want to bring milk to a boil; but it should be milk that has not been already pasteurized or heated before in any way.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Pasteurisation does not destroy any of the nutritional content of milk.

Ultra Heat Treatment on the other hand...

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Perhaps not; or, maybe not in and of it’s self necessarily.

The point I’m trying to drive here is that milk should only be heated once; and that is reason enough to buy it raw, meaning that when you go to heat it, that will be its first time of ever having been heated.

I’m quite sure that Ayurveda says to not reheat milk, nor any other food for that matter.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:35 pm
Ultra Heat Treatment on the other hand...

Right....

When it comes to a boil, take it off the burner immediately.

I’ve even heard that you want to bring milk to a boil three times, but in each instance remove it from the burner as soon as it starts to boil. Boil, remove from burner for some seconds; boil, repeat until brought to a boil three times total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 pm Raw milk is dangerous. It is best to boil it before drinking unless you want to risk tuberculosis, diphtheria, typhoid, and/or streptococcal infections.
Maybe in In a developing nation, but not where I live. I was raised on it. And would never hesitate to drink it in New England.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 pm Perhaps not; or, maybe not in and of it’s self necessarily.

The point I’m trying to drive here is that milk should only be heated once; and that is reason enough to buy it raw, meaning that when you go to heat it, that will be its first time of ever having been heated.

I’m quite sure that Ayurveda says to not reheat milk, nor any other food for that matter.
In general, leftovers are considered tamasic. But as I said, a little tamas is not a bad thing.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 am
Maybe in In a developing nation, but not where I live. I was raised on it. And would never hesitate to drink it in New England.
You are vaccinated. ;)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:04 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:02 am
You are vaccinated. ;)
Well, no, that’s not it. I just know the farmers and the farms where it can be procured.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

While we're on the subject of milk, here's a recipe for Golden Milk! It makes a soothing drink to unwind with.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Tomorrow I'm starting my Sattvic diet challenge for the month of May. :woohoo: Anyone is welcome to join!

Here's what I'm planning to make:
1. Kitchari
2. Carrot burfi for dessert (it has sugar, but that could be replaced with honey or jaggery)

Here's some recipe videos:

Enjoy!
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Sunrise wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:25 pm While we're on the subject of milk, here's a recipe for Golden Milk! It makes a soothing drink to unwind with.

add a few sprinkles of nutmeg and it's even more relaxing. But it can be a little drying on the throat. I usually add a little but of coconut oil to counter act that.
Sunrise wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:50 pm Tomorrow I'm starting my Sattvic diet challenge for the month of May. :woohoo: Anyone is welcome to join!

Here's what I'm planning to make:
1. Kitchari
2. Carrot burfi for dessert (it has sugar, but that could be replaced with honey or jaggery)
Enjoy!
Mmm Burfi looks interesting and easy to make. May give it a try.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Vasana wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 pm add a few sprinkles of nutmeg and it's even more relaxing. But it can be a little drying on the throat. I usually add a little but of coconut oil to counter act that.
Nutmeg sounds delicious!
tobes

Post by tobes »

I would like to be persuaded on some of these issues. I eat pretty well, which basically means moderately, lots of veg etc. But I'm kind of dogmatically resistant to any kind of specific diet, kind of as a means of resisting the intense obsessions so many seem to have around this issue, and the lack of good evidence which underpin the said obsessions.

I don't have a good understanding of ayurveda, but I intuitively trust this system more than most, and suspect some good knowledge would be very beneficial - esp for mitigating some chronic inflammation type ailments I live with (i.e. allergies etc).

What are the go to sources for good knowledge here? Or do you need to find practitioners so they 'get' your context?
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

tobes wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:35 am
I don't have a good understanding of ayurveda, but I intuitively trust this system more than most, and suspect some good knowledge would be very beneficial - esp for mitigating some chronic inflammation type ailments I live with (i.e. allergies etc).

What are the go to sources for good knowledge here? Or do you need to find practitioners so they 'get' your context?
If you want a plan to treat a specific aliment, going to an Ayurvedic practitioner may be best. They can tailor make a plan for you.

In general, have you noticed if consuming certain foods tends to worsen your inflammation? This isn't Ayurveda, but elimination diets can sometimes be helpful to see if there's a connection between a specific food and an ailment. A friend of mine with a chronic auto-immune disorder has had some success with this approach. I too, have found the elimination of certain foods to help manage a chronic condition. There are also helpful foods that can reduce inflammation. Of course, it's best to talk with a health care practitioner, though.

Best of luck!
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I think it might be helpful to distinguish between Sattvic(Yogic) diet and Ayurvedic approach. Of course, there's a lot of overlap. Yoga and Aryuveda are sister sciences, but the emphasis is a little different. Ayurveda is more custom fit to an individual to help correct imbalances, whereas Sattvic diet originated in Yogic philosophy as a support for meditators on the spiritual path. Of course, you could combine approaches from both, for example starting with a basic Sattvic diet and customizing it to balance your individual constitution.

Here's a little article that highlights some of the differences.
https://www.doyou.com/yogic-diet-vs-ayu ... you-16511/

Here's are a couple of videos that can make the difference more obvious.

Hermetic

Post by Hermetic »

I love Yogic Diet. I became a vegetarian about 1-2 weeks ago. 2-3 days ago I learned Yogic Diet from Swami Sivananda's book and started to apply. Whether it is done or not, one can calm down, but I personally find it useful to use willpower. I think it's a good way to get away from the pleasurable things to discover our lean self.
Natan

Post by Natan »

This sounds interesting, but keep in mind Buddhism is oftem a wanderers path. We do not often get to choose what we eat.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Hermetic wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 am I love Yogic Diet. I became a vegetarian about 1-2 weeks ago. 2-3 days ago I learned Yogic Diet from Swami Sivananda's book and started to apply.
I think it's a great way of eating too! I first learned about Yogic diet from a book called "Yoga Mind & Body" by the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center. Maybe it's the same Sivananda in your book?

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”