Tips on clearing nasal breathing

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
well wisher

Tips on clearing nasal breathing

Post by well wisher »

Consulting https://www.healthline.com/health/stuff ... edications,
seems like the general requirement are warmth, water, and adequate nutrition.

Speaking about personal experience, what I found works for me to keep nasal breathing clear are:water, staying warm at least near the head / nasal area, and remaining calm.
For example, drinking decent / moderate amount of water to not feel thirsty, then lying down in bed and hiding entire body and head under warm blanket.
Another alternative to covering under blanket, is using face mask. Of course, take it off when feeling thirsty.

It appears the human narrow nasal passages with big sinus holes that appears to be designed specially for steaming effect. Imagining monkeys in the humid jungle.

Code: Select all

Sample Image source: https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/community/images/sinusitis.jpg 
sinusitis.jpg
sinusitis.jpg (16.07 KiB) Viewed 2092 times

Sample tips to remain calm: Talk over any anxiety / worries with sympathetic family members friends really do help, and of course thanking each other afterwards. Also do not plan or overthink things too much. Also: calmness breathing-focused meditation. There are also many other ways ;)

See also: viewtopic.php?t=27914
Soen Yu, breathing exercises taught by Zen Master Dae Bong

Feel free to share your breathing tips too!
Wish all sentient beings well and healthy ~
:namaste:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Tips on clearing nasal breathing

Post by Kim O'Hara »

well wisher wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am Consulting https://www.healthline.com/health/stuff ... edications,

Speaking about personal experience, what I found works for me to keep nasal breathing clear are:water, staying warm at least near the head / nasal area, and remaining calm.
As one who suffered continual sinusitis/colds/bronchitis for years I can say you're on the right track.
Cold air constricts the nasal passages and can give you a runny nose even without any infection, so avoid it - especially since the extra moisture can give infections a perfect home, and the irritation of the mucous membranes can trigger an allergy-like response. I used to reckon I was "allergic to sneezing" because that's what it felt like. Cold tablets containing antihistamines can stop that sequence in its tracks - usually.

Water - yes, sure.

Staying calm? It probably helps, but mainly because it's just generally good for you.

One thing you left off your list is "clean air". There's often not much you can do to avoid smoky/polluted air, unfortunately, but it does make respiratory problems worse. (They reckon it's one reason the COVID-19 fatality rate was so bad in Wuhan.)

Another thing you left off is "appropriate exercise."

I called myself "one who suffered ... for years" (past tense) because I'm now largely free of the problems.
How?
• I gave up smoking. Yes :rolleye: of course. :smile:
• I moved from a big city with endless cool drizzly winters to a smaller one with no winter to speak of.
• I started getting regular exercise. Some sport, i.e., general fitness, but also some activities which specifically aid respiratory fitness. In my case they were musical, especially singing, but you may find others, e.g. some forms of yoga.

Kim
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 am
well wisher wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am Consulting https://www.healthline.com/health/stuff ... edications,

As one who suffered continual sinusitis/colds/bronchitis for years I can say you're on the right track.
Cold air constricts the nasal passages and can give you a runny nose even without any infection, so avoid it - especially since the extra moisture can give infections a perfect home, and the irritation of the mucous membranes can trigger an allergy-like response. I used to reckon I was "allergic to sneezing" because that's what it felt like. Cold tablets containing antihistamines can stop that sequence in its tracks - usually.

Water - yes, sure.

Staying calm? It probably helps, but mainly because it's just generally good for you.

One thing you left off your list is "clean air". There's often not much you can do to avoid smoky/polluted air, unfortunately, but it does make respiratory problems worse. (They reckon it's one reason the COVID-19 fatality rate was so bad in Wuhan.)

Another thing you left off is "appropriate exercise."

I called myself "one who suffered ... for years" (past tense) because I'm now largely free of the problems.
How?
• I gave up smoking. Yes :rolleye: of course. :smile:
• I moved from a big city with endless cool drizzly winters to a smaller one with no winter to speak of.
• I started getting regular exercise. Some sport, i.e., general fitness, but also some activities which specifically aid respiratory fitness. In my case they were musical, especially singing, but you may find others, e.g. some forms of yoga.

Kim
Great tips, Kim, thanks for sharing :namaste:
For exercises I enjoy jogging / walking / bicycling , keep up the cardio.

Also in regards to keeping calm, I find it very helpful to stay away from animosity thoughts (like be aware of it then focus on something else), and more beneficial focus on compassionate empathy & friendly thoughts instead.

In regards to moving to a smaller town with cleaner air, I have been thinking about it as well, but for now the things stopping me are my lack of funds and stable income (my Karmic punishment for being too stingy) and affordable properties near me, and also commitment to taking care of my elderly parents living in city apartment.. Guess I just to be patient a bit further until the time is right

At least the isolation quarantines so far keeps cleaner in terms of fewer cars in the streets..Really hoping much more greener techies (especially to replace the green engines), hopefully more affordable too.

Recalling my previous computer office work experience, I believe being under too much work pressure to rush to get things done, and too much intoxicating too-strong perfumes, had made me constantly made my nasal clogged. Neck posture seems to be important too, to align the sinus cavities.
If too desperate, I just rinse my entire nasal area with warm water by the tap, then clean it afterwards. I heard that adding some salt to the water before rising helps too.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

well wisher wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am Feel free to share your breathing tips too!
The seven main pranayamas are very helpful. If you can't do all seven, the two main pranayamas can be done - kapalbhati and analom vilom pranayamas. But certain strict rules are in place for these, for example, you cannot practice on a full stomach, so it is good to do in the morning before breakfast.

Ramdev teaches them here, along with some asanas, etc.

Back in 2008 I was doing all these pranayamas every day for about 6 months and it helped my meditation and opened the left and right nostrils, balancing the flow.

Virgo
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

its worth learning to really use a neti pot well, it keeps my chronic sinusitis in check. There are three different methods I know of for it, each affecting different sinus cavities. There are also some nose drop products containing Irish Moss and some other stuff that seemed to have helped me alot.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

On topic, here is a slightly humorous video talking about biological flaws in human body design (compared to other animals),
including about the flaws of human sinuses. This seem to imply: human bodies are built/evolved for variety of DESIRES, and TOO MUCH DESIRES makes it wonky & too difficult to hold up! Aw, the dangers of desires....

Hopefully this helps build more sympathy/ compassion for all fellow sinus stuffy-nose sufferers! ;)

Code: Select all

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmf1znpMjbI&t=248 
Evolution FAILS in the Human Body
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Buteyko Breathing Method - I consider that as helpful and beneficial.
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”