Russell Brand Free Course

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
cjdevries

Russell Brand Free Course

Post by cjdevries »

Russell Brand is offering a 12-day transformational course for free. It looks really interesting. It applies to all areas of life and anyone can benefit from it. It is designed to help to heal our relationships to work, family, relationships, vices, etc: https://www.onecommune.com/recovery-rus ... nd-sign-up
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Simon E.

Re: Russell Brand Free Course

Post by Simon E. »

I don’t know your nationality cjdevries, but the Brits among the members will probably know why I find the idea of Russell Brand giving relationship advice pretty hilarious.. :lol:

This is after all the man who phoned an 80-something grandfather and described the sexual relationship he was having with the other mans granddaughter in detail, live on air, as part of a radio show....For fun.

Still, I must curb my cynicism. People do change sometimes.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Looks interesting, thanks!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Simon E, If you've seen the guy lately, he seems to have changed.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

cjdevries wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 pm Simon E, If you've seen the guy lately, he seems to have changed.
I’m glad to hear it.. :smile:

DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Reputations and shame register a lot less nowadays.

Nowadays , if you're not pressing all the right buttons it's: 'not a good look'.

That said the small minds and people and appearances thing DOES press the wrong buttons.

So, if great minds discuss great ideas lets hear it. If I'm really sick I don't care who it is, just help plz. :tantrum:
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Russell Brand was fortunate to have spent some time with a great Dzogchen practitioner, or more likely Master, the Dalai Lama.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Not “spent”, but ‘had some time’ I should say.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Brand has always fancied himself as a guru.
He babbles lots of platitudes, peppered with a few long words he repeats again and again in the hope that people will forget that he has nothing original to teach.
He appeals to those who found Corbynsky magical.... mainly airhead student saviour seekers.
In fact, stick a beret on Brand and he would pass for a Wolfie Smith with added 'personal developmental spiritual' ketchup.
You've got it. I find him a vacuous creepy character and predict his implosion will recur.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I hope we are both wrong Mantrik. But I suspect we are not.
Of course this side of the Atlantic we have the dubious pleasure of having seen him over the years in his various “incarnations“ and then moving on to the latest attention seeking mode. He is addicted to it. 8-)
But Brand the Guru is a good one. I didn’t see that coming.

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Brand knows he's not a guru. In fact he's openly very self-deprecating and literally makes humour in knowing and openly admiting how narcissistic is. He knows exactly what spiritual materialism is and admits to that too..If he's teaching, he's doing it in the spirit of a joint learning initiative or to fulfil his admission of his own messiah complex ( he literally did a show with that title and theme) like i said, he's painfully self aware and takes the piss out of himself because of it all.

Lots of new age gurus and even practitioners of all kinds do the same yet take themselves far too seriously and won't admit to others their faults, let alone themselves. He knows how to laugh at the world and himself which is a pretty useful skill on all of the serious spiritual and dharma trips we can all go off on.

He's a comedian and not blind to his own hypocrisies. He knows he has a massive ego but is also interested in transcending that so I don't think he deserves all the stick. Most people don't care about acknowledging the ego let alone working with it.

And then there's his work focussed on addiction that has no doubt helped many addicts. Then there's all of the regular people he may have served as a gateway for philosophy, spirituality or meditation. Sure maybe it's not the best type in our opinion but others becoming more virtuous is still worth rejoicing.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I’m not convinced that he actually IS aware of his own egocentricity. I have seen no signs of any real insight into himself to date. I hope I’m wrong. We’ll see.

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I've watched a hand full of his YouTube episodes. A lot of his self deprecating, narcissist, ego confessions are on there.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, he doesn't seem to pretend anything.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Ayu wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:28 pm Yes, he doesn't seem to pretend anything.

Haha.. perspective is very different here. Many Brits think he is ALL pretence and await his next self-promoting flummery.

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

''many Brits' doesn't mean much. 'Many brits' also quite like him.

I'm from Britain too and I think he's alright for what he does. Nothing more, nothing less. He shot himself in the foot by becoming pseudo-political and now uses his platform as a celebrity to try and help others and at least attempt to have some more meaningful conversations beyond the persona he packages it in. Sure he probably makes money from it but that's celebrity culture for you. He's got kids now I believe so he's probably levelled out a fair bit.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It seems only yesterday ( and in reality it wasn’t long ago) that he was giving interviews voicing his concern for the poor from the steps of his multi million pound house in Islington.
Part of the problem was the period when you couldn’t turn on the TV or open a newspaper without his toothy grin flashing at you.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm It seems only yesterday ( and in reality it wasn’t long ago) that he was giving interviews voicing his concern for the poor from the steps of his multi million pound house in Islington.
Sounds familiar - Corbsky does the same.
So he really IS Corbyn's love child. lol :)

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Vasana wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:01 am Brand knows he's not a guru. In fact he's openly very self-deprecating and literally makes humour in knowing and openly admiting how narcissistic is. He knows exactly what spiritual materialism is and admits to that too..If he's teaching, he's doing it in the spirit of a joint learning initiative or to fulfil his admission of his own messiah complex ( he literally did a show with that title and theme) like i said, he's painfully self aware and takes the piss out of himself because of it all.

Lots of new age gurus and even practitioners of all kinds do the same yet take themselves far too seriously and won't admit to others their faults, let alone themselves. He knows how to laugh at the world and himself which is a pretty useful skill on all of the serious spiritual and dharma trips we can all go off on.

He's a comedian and not blind to his own hypocrisies. He knows he has a massive ego but is also interested in transcending that so I don't think he deserves all the stick. Most people don't care about acknowledging the ego let alone working with it.

And then there's his work focussed on addiction that has no doubt helped many addicts. Then there's all of the regular people he may have served as a gateway for philosophy, spirituality or meditation. Sure maybe it's not the best type in our opinion but others becoming more virtuous is still worth rejoicing.
I agree. He has self awareness about his ego and has done enough meditation/spiritual work to actually be able to approach his ego from a healthy place. It seems pretty clear that he's matured a lot as a person over the years. And it's great that he's able to pass on what he's learned that has benefitted him and can benefit others. He's genuine about helping others, that's what matters.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”