Great Vegan Debate

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Sādhaka

Re: Great Vegan Debate

Post by Sādhaka »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:26 am
:reading: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/is-almond ... o-make-it/

There is, of course, a petition for you to sign and share if you're willing. :thanks:

But I'm just as concerned with generalising the issue this campaign illustrates: that veganism (or vegetarianism) is not necessarily good for the environment, especially when it has been hijacked by the capitalists as yet another marketing opportunity.

:namaste:
Kim

Bees are great.

‘Sadhguru’ pushes the veg agenda more or less, but something interesting he said is that raw honey is very similar to blood plasma and is therefore very healthy.

The vegan vs carnivore debate is kind of an red-herring (no pun intended) until we get rid of factory-farming & monsanto-esque corporations.

Carnivores and vegans should unite against bee-killing factory-farming, and THEN battle it out after factory-farming/monsanto is an thing of the past.
Roro

Meat and veganism

Post by Roro »

Hello 👋,
Hello 👋,
I visited Greendale Farm Shop. I tried not to look, but I happened to see (through some glass) some animal carcasses hanging. It was horrible. It is so morally abhorrent.
How can anyone claim to love animals and eat meat?
Meat is not just food, it’s violence. You may think it tastes good, but taste is not justification for such abhorrent violence.
There is no excuse for eating meat!

https://theminimalistvegan.com/excuses/

Please, please watch. Please, please don’t just ignore.
Pigs are more intelligent than dogs. In fact, pigs are as intelligent, if not more intelligent than a three-year old child.
Cows have best friends and have been known to bellow for days after having their calves taken away from them.
Chickens are also intelligent, having the same numeracy and basic skills as a human toddler.
Fish also feel. There is good evidence that fish feel pain.
Wild turkeys can fly, but the poor domesticated ones can’t because of their weight, because we humans have bred them that way.
Eating lamb means that you are eating what used to be a cute, fluffy lamb frolicking in a field.
For Buddhists, animals have the five skandhas, are sentient beings, possess buddha-nature and play an important role in Buddhism. The Buddha may, or may not, have eaten meat, but he also taught compassion, love, metta and nonviolence towards all beings, not just human beings. Animals class as sentient beings. https://nottinghambuddhistcentre.org/bu ... d-veganism
Please go vegan. Do it for yourself, the animals and the planet!
Thank you 😊.
AvaLily

Post by AvaLily »

namste friends :namaste: i am vegan and i have an eating disorder i did have a binge eating disorder but now i have Anorexia due to the fact i can now control my eating and that is because am vegan before i was vegan i ate junk food all the time but since then i have more control of it my eating disorder is 500 calories for 2 days then fasting for 3 and back to 500 calories and then fasting again for 3 days i have a liquid fast and am able to control myself i have binge very much for a while now and i drink water or tea sometimes and favoured squash and smoothies and broth and thats it

the reason i became vegan wasnt because of my eating disorder i didnt want animals being killed so i could eat i feel it wrong to eat dairy or meat
and i love animals too much to eat them . one of the best things av ever done is becoming vegan and staying vegan
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Meat and veganism

Post by Grigoris »

Roro wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:49 pm Hello 👋,
Hello 👋,
I visited Greendale Farm Shop. I tried not to look, but I happened to see (through some glass) some animal carcasses hanging.
Hello! Earth calling Roro! It is a farm shop. Farms have livestock. Over and out!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Agnikan

Post by Agnikan »

An easier way to go veggie: Vitamin B12 can be produced during dough fermentation
Grain-based materials fermented with Propionibacterium freudenreichii have enough vitamin B12 to be nutritionally significant. With the help of Lactobacillus brevis in the fermentation process, vegans can also be guaranteed a sufficient and safe B12 intake directly from grain-based food, without pills
Brahma

Post by Brahma »

I know a story of someone who is a very Enlightened Being who has a cattle farm. He only takes their milk with as much respect as possible, and when the animals pass away of old age he gives their bodies to those who treat them with respect in meat preparation. If the whole world of meat eaters were like this, it may not even be a sin. But today's brutal factory farms are one of the worst genocidal threats facing humanity. If one has the capacity to become vegan or vegetarian, I highly recommend it, it may be a start to a Great level of Spiritual Advancement with the Love of such powerful Ahimsa involved. I believe all of our actions must be based off of the principle of Ahimsa, for Buddhism is the cult of Ahimsa.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Brahma wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:11 am I know a story of someone who is a very Enlightened Being who has a cattle farm. He only takes their milk with as much respect as possible, and when the animals pass away of old age he gives their bodies to those who treat them with respect in meat preparation. If the whole world of meat eaters were like this, it may not even be a sin. But today's brutal factory farms are one of the worst genocidal threats facing humanity. If one has the capacity to become vegan or vegetarian, I highly recommend it, it may be a start to a Great level of Spiritual Advancement with the Love of such powerful Ahimsa involved. I believe all of our actions must be based off of the principle of Ahimsa, for Buddhism is the cult of Ahimsa.
The problem is not a respect or not giving the animals a free pass to gym. The murdering or any other exploitation is the problem.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Brahma

Post by Brahma »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Brahma wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:11 am I know a story of someone who is a very Enlightened Being who has a cattle farm. He only takes their milk with as much respect as possible, and when the animals pass away of old age he gives their bodies to those who treat them with respect in meat preparation. If the whole world of meat eaters were like this, it may not even be a sin. But today's brutal factory farms are one of the worst genocidal threats facing humanity. If one has the capacity to become vegan or vegetarian, I highly recommend it, it may be a start to a Great level of Spiritual Advancement with the Love of such powerful Ahimsa involved. I believe all of our actions must be based off of the principle of Ahimsa, for Buddhism is the cult of Ahimsa.
The problem is not a respect or not giving the animals a free pass to gym. The murdering or any other exploitation is the problem.
I agree that is the biggest problem, but we must also respect all life. That is the Ahimsa Buddha taught. Imagine this, Buddha as a prince had a horse, Kanthaka. If He did not take it upon Himself to take care of the horse someone else may have used it with less respect. But still, the horse was kept in a stable and not set free because Buddha as a prince did not yet give up horseback riding as He did as an aesthetic, because of His princely duties. He obviously never exploited Kanthaka, and Kanthaka Loved Him. Yet, all the way up to Kanthaka's death, Kanthaka was exploited by circumstance being forced to live in a stable and having to wear reigns. This was not the Buddha's fault, Buddha only made Kanthaka's life better and I'm sure He even imagined a world where all animals were as free as human beings. Kanthaka even died of longing because he stopped eating and drinking by refusal when Buddha left to become an aesthetic. Buddha loved animals the most anyone possibly can, He was even ready to get killed by a king instead of moving from the path of bulls being sent to a sacrifice, sitting there in meditation. The king although, recognized that it was Guatama in the Shakya clan, embraced Him, and proclaimed that no animal should be killed within his kingdom in his joy and understanding of seeing Him. He even later became a direct disciple of the Buddha, taking refuge in the Dharma, the Sanga, and the Buddha. The king was king Bimbisara, someone Buddha once promised to return to and teach Enlightenment once He achieved it.
Last edited by Brahma on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DharmaN00b

Re: Daily Laugh Thread

Post by DharmaN00b »

:mrgreen:

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”