indian food

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Jesse

indian food

Post by Jesse »

Some of my favorite indian dishes. Wish I could eat this well every
Samosa chaat

Butter chicken with rice and naan

Galub jamon
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Jesse

Re: indian food

Post by Jesse »

Oops. Sorry for the terrible images, I only had my cell phone and was away for the weekend. Here are some better pictures.

Samosa Chaat (Chick-pea curry ontop of a potato samosa.)

Butter Chicken, Naan and rice.

Gulab jamun
emaho

Post by emaho »

Looks great. These Gulab Jamun thingies are very easy to make, btw. There are lots of recipes on Youtube. I only don't make them myself because I know what's going to happen when I'm alone with a dozen of them...
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:Looks great. These Gulab Jamun thingies are very easy to make, btw. There are lots of recipes on Youtube. I only don't make them myself because I know what's going to happen when I'm alone with a dozen of them...
Haha yea I would prob eat all of them. I tried making them once and it turned out terrible. I've never been good at making deserts though.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I :heart: Indian food, even before I was Buddhist. Curry makes everything taste good.
rory

Post by rory »

My favourite region is South India: Kerala and Tamil Nadu, I cook a lot from there..for years now. If you haven't had a dosa you haven't lived.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I suggest that anyone who is near or visiting near Berkeley check out Vik's Chaat. It's really different from the Indian food I've usually found at Indian restaurants because it's Indian street food. Really something different and delicious!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

We were in Tamil Nadu and had arranged a trip to Arunachala and the Ramanashram.
We started early and our driver asked if he could come off road a little way so he could get breakfast at his favourite dosa and idli stall..
We had already eaten so we waited while he loaded up on idlis and dosas..he wanted to take us to meet his folks in the next village but I wanted to get on, I could see that otherwise we would still be there at noon..
Dosas are fine, but I think you have to be a Tamil to appreciate idlis..If you ARE a Tamil then you eat many, many, of them every morning. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

If you're in the northern virginia / DC area, here a few places I love:

http://www.punjabibynature.in/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rangolirestaurant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.yelp.com/biz/punjabi-junctio ... ndian+Food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All three are delicious, Punjabi by nature also has a desert shop.. they carry at least 40+ traditional indian deserts.. most of them are amazing haha.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Mkoll wrote:I suggest that anyone who is near or visiting near Berkeley check out Vik's Chaat. It's really different from the Indian food I've usually found at Indian restaurants because it's Indian street food. Really something different and delicious!
Vik's Chaat is wonderful! It's the only place that I go to when I'm in Berkeley. I'm about an hour away. It's changed tho, they have a shiny new location. I've never been to India so I Imagine the old location was a lot like being in India, wonderful long lines and tables, rubbing elbows with ppl.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Nothing like Bengali sweets for a delightful dose of insulin shock! :)
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

M.G. wrote:Nothing like Bengali sweets for a delightful dose of insulin shock! :)
Ohh thanks, I had no idea what these desserts were called. Everytime I google for them I find different stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bengali ... 20&bih=922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All these thing's are amazing ha. They are way different than American sweets, very strange textures and flavors. Many are spongy and filled with flavored syrups.. something everyone should try though.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Are the sweets that sweet in India or is that an American thing? When visiting Thailand I noticed the local cuisine was similar to what Americans get in Thai restaurants but everything was less sweet: here Thai iced tea is like a milkshake but over there it's just milky and refreshing.
rory

Post by rory »

Simon E. I adore idlis and I'm not Tamil at all, they're wonderful and I can get them here in 2 different restaurants. With sambar and coconut and mint chutney. I've tried to make them myself, but the uttapam is easier....so nourishing made from rice and lentils! It's genius....India has regional cuisines. Food from Bengal isn't like food from Punjabe and neither is close to the bliss of Southern food from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

M.G. wrote:Are the sweets that sweet in India or is that an American thing? When visiting Thailand I noticed the local cuisine was similar to what Americans get in Thai restaurants but everything was less sweet: here Thai iced tea is like a milkshake but over there it's just milky and refreshing.
I'm not completely sure about India but what you say about Thailand is true and applies to the rest of SE Asia.
America's sugar habit may be unique.
In 1822, the average American ate the amount of sugar found in one of today’s 12-ounce sodas every 5 days. Now, we eat that much every 7 hours.
That comes from http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chart ... ion-2012-2 which has a chart showing the increase ... pretty scary.
:soapbox:
We would all be better off - healthier, in this case - if we tried to follow world's best practice on each issue instead of blindly following the US.
/ :soapbox: :focus:

:namaste:
Kim
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Nobody in the West does authentic Indian vegetarian better than the Hare Krishnas, IMO:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

rory wrote:Simon E. I adore idlis and I'm not Tamil at all, they're wonderful and I can get them here in 2 different restaurants. With sambar and coconut and mint chutney. I've tried to make them myself, but the uttapam is easier....so nourishing made from rice and lentils! It's genius....India has regional cuisines. Food from Bengal isn't like food from Punjabe and neither is close to the bliss of Southern food from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
gassho
Rory

Each to their own rory. :namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

I am still upset at myself for ruining my curry after leaving it out overnight. Darn. I will eat it anyway to punish myself :).
It’s eye blinking.
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

M.G. wrote:Are the sweets that sweet in India or is that an American thing? When visiting Thailand I noticed the local cuisine was similar to what Americans get in Thai restaurants but everything was less sweet: here Thai iced tea is like a milkshake but over there it's just milky and refreshing.
Many of the more traditional sweets (from regions other than Bengal at least) are less sweet, or at least used to be less sweet, because they are/were traditionally made with jaggery or non-refined sugar. These sweeeteners give a much richer flavour, however I think the use of refined sugar is increasing... and my guess is American makers must use refined sugar as jaggery is much more expensive?
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

I really love Keralan food. If you have a halfway decent Indian grocery nearby it's surprisingly easy to replicate the flavours at home. Unfortunately my better half loathes curry leaves but I've found that lemon balm (melissa) makes a very good substitute. The one thing I didn't really get when we were in Kerala was drumstick. Stringy and tasteless.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”