Allergies

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
User avatar
LastLegend
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Allergies

Post by LastLegend »

You mean because we are new to the US considering US is 400 /500 years old, and because they don’t have these trees elsewhere in the world? Maybe.
It’s eye blinking.
User avatar
tkp67
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 5:42 am

Re: Allergies

Post by tkp67 »

LastLegend wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:29 am You mean because we are new to the US considering US is 400 /500 years old, and because they don’t have these trees elsewhere in the world? Maybe.
It really is more complex.

For example, air pollution effects development of humans from conception to death. Air pollution is a byproduct of industrialization. The environmental imbalances do differ of course.

Diesel exhaust for example

[Environmental pollution and allergy: immunological mechanisms]
Abstract

Airborne pollutants, both particulate and gaseous, represent a major environmental factor promoting allergic sensitization and disease expression. These adverse effects of particulate matter are highly dependent upon the nature and size of the particles, their content of chemicals and metals, and the subject's genetic makeup. Diesel exhaust and gases, in particular ozone, have been shown to exacerbate cellular inflammation and to act as mucosal adjuvants to skew the immune response to inhaled antigens toward a Th2-like phenotype. Growing evidence suggests that mechanisms of pollutant-induced amplification of the allergic reaction depend on oxidative stress that is under the control of susceptibility genes, as well as epigenetic mechanisms.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23333049/
User avatar
LastLegend
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Allergies

Post by LastLegend »

I see your point.
It’s eye blinking.
avatamsaka3
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Allergies

Post by avatamsaka3 »

So, if anyone is experiencing allergies, please consult your doctor and/or an allergist for advice tailored to your situation. Please don't use anything mentioned in this thread without 1) thoroughly researching the product first and then 2) speaking with a medical professional about its use in your case.

With that said, I can share a bit about my own journey with allergies with anyone who is interested in how it's been going:

1) I did an allergy blood test. The results indicated that I'm at least somewhat allergic to all common allergens. The pros want me to verify these results using a scratch test. I'll have to see what gets verified and what doesn't.

2) With respect to using honey, it's well established in the medical literature that's it's useful for wound healing. It's also quite likely that it's useful for lots of other things. See here:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2017/1259510/
The present review focused on the potential health benefits of bee products such as honey, propolis, and royal jelly. These products are highly rich in active components such as flavonoids, phenolic acid, phenolic compounds, terpenes, and enzymes, which have biological functions in preventing some diseases and promoting good health. Honey, propolis, and royal jelly have distinct efficacies with significant nutritional properties and functional values. Thus, these bee products can be developed into potent apitherapeutic agents. However, some precautions need to be taken in case of allergens associated with bee products and in finding the right intake dosage. Hence, it is necessary to conduct further studies to determine the critical mechanisms related to the pharmacological activities of these bee products and the appropriate amounts that can be taken in order to obtain promising health benefits.
3) On the question of why allergies exist in modern societies, here's an overview of the science to date:

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fu ... all%3Dtrue
Last edited by avatamsaka3 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Allergies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

IME you also will often get different recommendations from allergists vs. ENT's, much less if you go the naturopathic route. Caveat emptor.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttadinesso
avatamsaka3
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Allergies

Post by avatamsaka3 »

if you go the naturopathic route
Have you found any naturopathic remedies to be effective?
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Allergies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 pm
if you go the naturopathic route
Have you found any naturopathic remedies to be effective?
Well, “naturopathy” means a lot of things but yes, a neti pot for instance Is an effective remedy for sinus inflammation generally. I posted the nose drops I use in mine sometimes earlier in the thread. I still take allergy meds too though, when my symptoms are severe enough.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/allergy/ ... rgies.aspx

Just make sure you use water that's sterile, don't use water right out of the tap. My doctors also say to use about 1.5 times the standard amount of saline, so I use 1.5 of the Neilmed saline packets when i use it.

It's borne about by studies btw, not just some alternative treatment, plenty of "standard" ENT's will recommend them. So, if your allergies are primarily effecting your sinuses, there's no reason not to do it IMO. It's a pretty simple concept in this case, just washing allergens out of your sinuses.

A lot of people won't do it just because they think it's gross or whatever, and there is a bit of a technique to learn. Also when you first start it actually seems to inflame your sinuses at first, it takes a week or two before you really notice the difference, but I do. YMMV.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttadinesso
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Allergies

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

From the Buddhist perspective, does an allergy exist if there is no contact with the allergen?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
User avatar
Hazel
Global Moderator
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm
Location: Outer space

Re: Allergies

Post by Hazel »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 am From the Buddhist perspective, does an allergy exist if there is no contact with the allergen?
I think it's called the immune system :tongue:
Want to teach? Help a teacher. Want to learn? Help a teacher.
User avatar
Könchok Chödrak
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: ༀ ∞ Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ∞ ༀ

Re: Allergies

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 am From the Buddhist perspective, does an allergy exist if there is no contact with the allergen?
That certainly is a possibility.
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Allergies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 am From the Buddhist perspective, does an allergy exist if there is no contact with the allergen?
Only as potential;)
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttadinesso
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Allergies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Oh, I've also been prescribed one of those Flonase inhalers by ENT's, they do work, but I opted for the neti pot instead because the flonase always makes me feel weird. It's a steroid, while I think it probably has mild effect on mood, it's enough to annoy me.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttadinesso
avatamsaka3
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Allergies

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Everyone's experience can be different, and we can support each other.
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Allergies

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:04 am Everyone's experience can be different, and we can support each other.
Not only can it be, it often is!

Anyway it’s good you are handling it. I’m really seeing some of the bad effects of ignoring ‘little’ things like allergies and regret not paying more attention.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttadinesso
User avatar
Nemo
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: Allergies

Post by Nemo »

I have seasonal allergies some years. One simple ways to skip them is to fly to the other half of the world where you aren't allergic to anything. I can rely on exercise, eating healthier and some HEPA air cleaners lately. I find staying away from mold is also very helpful.

Chlorine pools and showers in chlorinated water can cause the lining of your lungs to become porous allowing allergens direct access to your bloodstream. This may play a significant role in developing allergies. I have a family member allergic to chlorine so I installed a shower chlorine filter and an inline carbon block for drinking water. It helped.

Change the cabin air filter in your car if it's old.
When I had the snot torrents quercetin seemed to help if I took it prophylactically.
If you are having a bad allergy attack you are covered with allergens. Wash your clothes and take a shower when you get home. Like germs they are physical particles.
I recently discovered allergy eye drops. They are quite soothing.

Hope you have a nice summer.
SilenceMonkey
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Allergies

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I have sinus issues, they just get stuffed and it makes it hard to sleep sometimes. I had been using a modern form of neti pot called NeilMed Sinus Rinse, which is really good. These days I found maybe an even better one called Xlear nasal spray (decongestant), which clears up my sinuses in seconds. It's really amazing!

And of course there are pills. 180 mg Allegra (fexofenadine for generic). I used tibetan medicine for a while when I was in Dharamsala (super cheap and very effective), but I had to take them three times a day 5-10 mins after every meal. It was a pain to always think about whether I had hot water to let the pills soak in, which would soften them up so i could chew them. And also a a bit of a pain to have to eat three times a day, because sometimes I just forget about eating.
avatamsaka3
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 am

Re: Allergies

Post by avatamsaka3 »

May everyone find relief from their allergies.
Post Reply

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”