How to Cook Your Life

clyde

How to Cook Your Life

Post by clyde »

The NY Zen Center is offering “HOW TO COOK YOUR LIFE: A 90-DAY ONLINE COMMIT TO SIT PRACTICE PERIOD” with Zen teachers from Japan and the US beginning Wednesday, January 12th, using the commentary by Uchiyama Roshi of Dogen’s classic Instructions to the Cook.

https://zencare.org/event/how-to-cook-y ... it-to-sit/
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
KeithA

Re: How to Cook Your Life

Post by KeithA »

clyde wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm The NY Zen Center is offering “HOW TO COOK YOUR LIFE: A 90-DAY ONLINE COMMIT TO SIT PRACTICE PERIOD” with Zen teachers from Japan and the US beginning Wednesday, January 12th, using the commentary by Uchiyama Roshi of Dogen’s classic Instructions to the Cook.

https://zencare.org/event/how-to-cook-y ... it-to-sit/
Looks like a great program. Thanks for sharing Clyde.
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

In a way, thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the book.

Event Registration: The standard cost of this program is $54. Supporter and Benefactor Level pricing is available for those who wish to increase their support of NYZC and our work to make the dharma accessible to all.
It doesn't look too annoying, but I don't want to pay for it. The book looks cheap enough to gamble on trying something new. I prefer to read Theravada books and I don't have a strong Zen background. There used to be a really good Zen group where I live, but the best people in it left and it fell apart. When I first went there, I'd go in for a day of sitting and I'd feel wonderful afterward. It seemed like I had been in a powerful stream and I was able to do things I couldn't do on my own. The quiet, clarity, and power I felt in my mind were amazing. The best meditators left and then the sits became shorter and fewer. The focus switched over to chores and donations.
clyde

Post by clyde »

You might also look up the movie, How to Cook Your Life, with Edward Espe Brown, a Soto Zen priest in the Suzuki Roshi lineage. I’ve sat with him on occasion and attended a few one-day retreats. He’s mellowed since the film was made (2007). In any case, here’s a link to one of my favorite Dharma talks:

https://sr.dharmaseed.org/teacher/63/talk/3036/
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

Return to “Soto”