Is there a systematized course of study in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?

ElenaTheo

Is there a systematized course of study in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?

Post by ElenaTheo »

Aloha everyone!
Here is my fist post on this forum.

Is there a systematized course of study that one can follow in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?
Does it follow the three turnings of the Dharma wheel?

I would like to study Buddhist scriptures in a systematized fashion.
I am currently reading Abhidharma commentaries and Tibetan Yoga of Sleep (I have a lucid dreaming practice).
I have always been drawn to Zen Buddhism (Soto) but started looking into Tibetan Buddhism as well after I had found about its Yoga of Sleep practices.
As of right now, I am planning to go deeper on Zen Buddhism but possibly will incorporate/move toward Tibetan Buddhism in the future.

Thank you! Much health to you and your loved ones. And clarity:)
PS Ideally, I would like to meet a dharma teacher who could guide me on the path.
Matylda

Re: Is there a systematized course of study in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?

Post by Matylda »

ElenaTheo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:32 am Aloha everyone!
Here is my fist post on this forum.

Is there a systematized course of study that one can follow in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?
Does it follow the three turnings of the Dharma wheel?

I would like to study Buddhist scriptures in a systematized fashion.
I am currently reading Abhidharma commentaries and Tibetan Yoga of Sleep (I have a lucid dreaming practice).
I have always been drawn to Zen Buddhism (Soto) but started looking into Tibetan Buddhism as well after I had found about its Yoga of Sleep practices.
As of right now, I am planning to go deeper on Zen Buddhism but possibly will incorporate/move toward Tibetan Buddhism in the future.

Thank you! Much health to you and your loved ones. And clarity:)
PS Ideally, I would like to meet a dharma teacher who could guide me on the path.
Regular study is only conducted by Komadai a soto school uni.
I think that it depends on every soto center in the West.

But as far as soto is thought of one should remember that the basic teaching and text to recitation and study is Shushogi. There is English trans. however I have never seen any teachings or commentaries based on this text. We have to remember that it includes just all basic and advanced instructions.
In Japan there are many commentaries on Shushogi, but again I did not see any English one or trans from Japanese to English.

Harada's comment. divided 5 parts of Shushogi into 5 ranks of Tozan, which is not only common 5 ranks but double 5 rank [ranks of realization/ranks of stages in practice]. There are also many other inner explanations etc.

Generally soto or any other teachings relate to the core of zen not only general mahayana like sutras, abhidharma etc.

Another set of teachings could be given to daily texts recited at the soto temples, heart sutra, Lotus 2 chapters, Hokyozammai, Sandokai, etc. Suzuki Shunryu Roshi's Sandokai is in English as far as I recall books which I have seen.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Check out https://zenstudiespodcast.com/ if you want to hear a great podcast from a soto zen priest. She organized the episodes in a logical fashion so if you start out at the beginning and work your way forward you get a good overview.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I'd suggest finding a soto center you like for some reason which has regular zoom or whatever sessions, start showing up and participate. By participate, follow along in whatever the study material is; read it, participate in the discussion. You don't have to stay or commit to practice until/unless you choose to. The soto sangha I've been spending time with goes in rotation thru several selected Zen texts; sutras and commentaries.

I spent a couple years reading on my own, which has its value wrt becoming familiar with related doctrine but that is not the same as practice. I found face-to-face discussion is profoundly more effective and transformative.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

ElenaTheo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:32 amIs there a systematized course of study that one can follow in Zen Buddhism (Soto)?
Not to my knowledge, apart from what they teach at Komazawa University. What you might do is to learn about East Asian Buddhism in general, and then about Soto Zen Buddhism.

For a general introduction to East Asian Buddhism:

The Core Teachings by Hsing Yun
Vimalakirti Sutra
Nagarjuna on the Six Perfections
Essays of Sengzhao
The Awakening of Faith in the Mahayana by Aśvaghoṣa
The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch

For introduction to Soto Zen:

Soto Zen: An Introduction to Zazen
Heart of Zen
Zazen-Yōjinki
Shobogenzo-zuimonki
Denkōroku

In book:

Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice by Kosho Uchiyama
Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo by Shohaku Okumura
Wholehearted Way: A Translation of Eihei Dogen's Bendowa, With Commentary by Kosho Uchiyama Roshi
Living by Vow: A Practical Introduction to Eight Essential Zen Chants and Texts by Shohaku Okumura
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Soto”