It's not you. It's not me. It's not personal.

clyde

It's not you. It's not me. It's not personal.

Post by clyde »

This was posted recently on Norman Fischer’s Facebook page:
"The essence of mindfulness is that you stop taking your life so personally. That’s the essence of what we are discovering here. My life is not really my personal possession, and that is exactly my problem, that I take my life so personally. That’s why I am getting into so much trouble.

"The more I get close to this breath, the more I realize that this is the same breath that the person next to me is breathing. The whole planet is breathing. When I really watch my breath, and merge with my breath, I realize that it is not so personal. It is the universal breath that we are all breathing.”

~ Zoketsu Norman Fischer
Zoketsu Norman Fischer.jpg
Zoketsu Norman Fischer.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Norman is a Zen teacher in the Suzuki Roshi lineage of Soto Zen. I’ve had the good fortune to sit with him on occasion and have listened to many of his Dharma talks on the Everyday Zen website.

I think when he says, “mindfulness” that he’s referring to zazen.

In any case, it’s a good reminder.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

Return to “Soto”