To sit or not to sit?

clyde

To sit or not to sit?

Post by clyde »

From Issho Fujita’s collected essay, Zazen and Everyday Life:
  • All of the events in everyday life challenge us to choose between doing zazen or not. There is a mountain of excuses nearby for postponing or stopping zazen. Within this situation, it is necessary, in order to continue zazen, to have a vision with regard to your own zazen practice that is not borrowed from someone else. How will you foster that vision?
This seems painfully familiar to me. I’ve been examining why I sometimes feel like I’m avoiding zazen. I’ve never regretted sitting and often feel some sense of ease, sometimes even a sense of pleasure. But then, I want to read something, or listen to something, or distract myself with a game or hobby. I have it relatively easy as I’m retired. Lots of time and a pandemic outside, so nowhere to go.

Still, each time, to sit or not to sit?
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
jimmi

Re: To sit or not to sit?

Post by jimmi »

clyde wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 amBut then, I want to read something, or listen to something, or distract myself with a game or hobby. I have it relatively easy as I’m retired.

Still, each time, to sit or not to sit?
There are 24hours in a day, right? And I don’t think that you are suggesting sitting meditation in opposition to reading, distractions, etc. You can do both. So why the resistance to sitting despite the decision to sit daily, at a certain time, for a specific period (however you might set this up)? I think it is a point of conviction regarding the matter of zazen and perhaps courage in encountering oneself in the absence of distraction. Of course the conundrum of “to sit or not to sit” is already an expression of this encounter so in fact you are already there.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sit zazen for the benefit of all beings.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sometimes it is difficult to get motivated.

The remedy is to commit to a short period each day, and gradually expand the time.
But also, don’t forget to pay attention to your sitting, regardless whether your mind is quiet or distracted.

Just keep on schedule. Sometimes you start to sit zazen and then your mind gets very busy. Sometimes your mind goes very still. Sometimes you fall asleep! That’s okay now and then, but just keep on schedule. It’s like checking the mailbox. You check it and maybe there’s mail in it and maybe not, but check it every day anyhow. Don’t worry about results.

When I sit, I sometimes begin by saying out loud, “the next 20 breaths I devote completely to sitting meditation, without distraction!” And this mentally allows me to set aside all other preoccupations. Then, I just continue sitting after 20. Or maybe I repeat.

Sometimes it’s nice just to sit and enjoy doing absolutely nothing.
EMPTIFUL.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I insist that the practice produce results, meaning decreased grasping and reactionary tendency in my own head- not some kind of magic instant perfection but noticeable change over time not unlike consistent workouts to improve cardio. Accordingly I put in the effort into zazen and study, as well as the gym, and out in the shop working on whatever. I think desultory efforts aren't going to make it.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

In a sense. There are two aspects to zen meditation.

One is formal sitting, doing nothing else. Just sitting.
The other one (which has sort of become the basis for the popular interest in ‘mindfulness’) is applying unwavering attention to whatever one is doing.

I think that both are important, and as long as you are drawn to doing all sorts of other activities, you will have plenty of opportunities to apply the second aspect.

But there is also the importance of practicing ‘just sitting’ (particularly when beginning the day) if for no other reason than to return the mind to ‘square one’, to its original clear state. Less important is how long you sit, or how “deeply” your meditation goes.

As an analogy, it’s like when you cook and eat, you want to begin with clean dishes and utensils. Nobody wants to eat breakfast in a bowl that still has bits of last night’s dinner clinging to it. So, you want to return the condition of the dish to its original clean (empty) state.
The mind is the same way. But most of the time we just keep piling on more and more stuff, day after day. “I’m too busy to meditate” is like “I’m too busy to wash my bowl”

So, even if you sit for just a few minutes, take the time to return to square one.
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Soto”