Soto zen and problem of satori

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Soto zen and problem of satori

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

kusulu wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:44 am
Oh, there is plenty of debate on that topic. You used the word "functionally" which is important i think. The argument runs like, shikantaza is objectless, not focus (and a few other things, pointing to it's superiority).
Shamatha is done with or without focus, not having an object of focus does not make something not shamatha.

Similarly I think "the union of Shamatha and Vipaysana" does not just mean shamatha and vipaysana being performed together, and does not reference learning them as separate practices per se...I think it connotes a genuine glimpse of reality, or whatever term you want to use..the natural state, etc. That can be arrived at through gradual paths or through direct introduction or pointing out from a teacher. I am not convinced there is any difference beyond praxis there. Some teachers seem to make use of shamatha as a vehicle for this kind of glimpse, others go straight to the point.

AFAIK that is also true in Soto, at least somewhat; though I admit my experience is scattered enough to not have a great historical picture.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Soto”