Are there any western lineages of Seon other than Kwan Um?

katz_in_the_hat

Are there any western lineages of Seon other than Kwan Um?

Post by katz_in_the_hat »

I'm just curious if there are other Seon lineages in the west that are comprised of mainly westerners, not immigrant communities.
seeker242

Re: Are there any western lineages of Seon other than Kwan Um?

Post by seeker242 »

Yes. Buddhist Society for Compassionate Wisdom. :smile:

https://www.zenbuddhisttemple.org/

World Zen Fellowship.

http://www.worldzen.org/
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Hanmaum Seon Center has one branch in Canada and 4 in the US (LA, NYC, DC and Chicago). I don't know if they are mostly Westerners or Korean immigrants. I visited their head temple in Anyang, near Seoul, to attend a Dharma talk given by an American monk, which he delivered in both English and Korean.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 am Hanmaum Seon Center has one branch in Canada and 4 in the US (LA, NYC, DC and Chicago). I don't know if they are mostly Westerners or Korean immigrants. I visited their head temple in Anyang, near Seoul, to attend a Dharma talk given by an American monk, which he delivered in both English and Korean.
That was probably Chonggo Sunim. He used to be active on the Fora and share some great posts. Miss him.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:17 am
KiwiNFLFan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 am Hanmaum Seon Center has one branch in Canada and 4 in the US (LA, NYC, DC and Chicago). I don't know if they are mostly Westerners or Korean immigrants. I visited their head temple in Anyang, near Seoul, to attend a Dharma talk given by an American monk, which he delivered in both English and Korean.
That was probably Chonggo Sunim. He used to be active on the Fora and share some great posts. Miss him.
Yes it was! I didn't know he used to be active here.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:17 am

He is on FB, if you are on there. He is a good follow. Very down to Earth. :)
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Seon”