Dharma name in Seon Buddhism

KiwiNFLFan

Dharma name in Seon Buddhism

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

How does one go about acquiring a Dharma name in Seon Buddhism (mainly Jogye but would also be interested to hear about Taego)? Is there a ceremony that you go through? If so, what is involved? Also, can you get a Dharma name if you already converted to a different form of Buddhism (my entry into Buddhism was in a Thai Theravada temple)?
NeonPhoenixNeko

Re: Dharma name in Seon Buddhism

Post by NeonPhoenixNeko »

At my local Seon temple, it seems you need to take the 3 refuges, bodhisattva vows and do 3000 prostrations (over a period of time), as well as having possibly having taken some preliminary training courses.

https://www.zenbuddhisttemple.org

You can contact them, they have locations across North America, they can fill you in. ^-^ I go to the Toronto location and the priestess is very friendly.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm How does one go about acquiring a Dharma name in Seon Buddhism (mainly Jogye but would also be interested to hear about Taego)? Is there a ceremony that you go through? If so, what is involved? Also, can you get a Dharma name if you already converted to a different form of Buddhism (my entry into Buddhism was in a Thai Theravada temple)?
This is a practice common across the Korean traditions, basically a Dharma name is given when you take the five precepts (and new names are given as you take higher precepts). But you can also receive a name simply by asking for one from a (usually prominent) monk. You can get a new name if you (for whatever reason) feel like changing it. Men's names are two characters, women's names are three characters. But dharma names are not really important, nor is there much use for them. Just so you know, the precept ceremonies in Korea include the practice of placing a burning incense stick (or three) on the arm.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

jmlee369 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:09 am
KiwiNFLFan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:49 pm How does one go about acquiring a Dharma name in Seon Buddhism (mainly Jogye but would also be interested to hear about Taego)? Is there a ceremony that you go through? If so, what is involved? Also, can you get a Dharma name if you already converted to a different form of Buddhism (my entry into Buddhism was in a Thai Theravada temple)?
This is a practice common across the Korean traditions, basically a Dharma name is given when you take the five precepts (and new names are given as you take higher precepts). But you can also receive a name simply by asking for one from a (usually prominent) monk. You can get a new name if you (for whatever reason) feel like changing it. Men's names are two characters, women's names are three characters. But dharma names are not really important, nor is there much use for them. Just so you know, the precept ceremonies in Korea include the practice of placing a burning incense stick (or three) on the arm.
Thanks. How would one approach a monk and ask for such a name (without taking the precepts ceremony, which I'm considering)? Is it a "Dharma name" in such a case or simply a Korean name?

In the precepts ceremony, how long is the incense stick placed on the arm? And does the Korean observance of the First Precept require vegetarianism?
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:00 am Thanks. How would one approach a monk and ask for such a name (without taking the precepts ceremony, which I'm considering)? Is it a "Dharma name" in such a case or simply a Korean name?

In the precepts ceremony, how long is the incense stick placed on the arm? And does the Korean observance of the First Precept require vegetarianism?
Normally the monk you approach would be one you have some sort of familiarity or relationship with. Just tell them you would like to receive a dharma name from them, and ask if they can give you one. It is still a dharma name with a dharma meaning.

The incense stick is placed for only a second or so. The first precept does not require vegetarianism.
NeonPhoenixNeko

Post by NeonPhoenixNeko »

I do not believe the incence marking is carried out in the West. I have a brochure and it says no such thing. I'm sure you could do it if you wanted though. :p

Just be sure you are ready to take Bodhisattva Vows, as the Five Precepts (although included) are generally first steps for Buddhists. I myself have taken the Three Refuges & Five Precepts with a Theravada monk (no charge!) I do not feel ready to become a Bodhisattva just yet. It is best to take such vows when you feel you have reached the Arhats' Nirvana. (Whatever that looks like to you on a personal level.) Although everyone is on a different paayh so it is up to you to decide if you are ready. My advice is not to rush it though! Are you ready to take on the task of saving all sentient beings, or are you more interested in recieving a Dharma name?

Return to “Seon”