Kwan Um/Seung Sahn Reading Suggestions

Dharmalight889

Kwan Um/Seung Sahn Reading Suggestions

Post by Dharmalight889 »

On the Kwan Um website there are lots of suggested reading, although I wanted to see if anyone here has suggestions on which book to start with to learn more about Seung Sahn's teachings and what is unique to the Kwan Um school of Zen.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Kwan Um/Seung Sahn Reading Suggestions

Post by narhwal90 »

The Compass of Zen is a good start. Our group worked through it last year, I found it approachable and productive.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Dharmalight889 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 am On the Kwan Um website there are lots of suggested reading, although I wanted to see if anyone here has suggestions on which book to start with to learn more about Seung Sahn's teachings and what is unique to the Kwan Um school of Zen.
Dropping Ashes On The Buddha is the place to start.

What is unique about our tradition is that Seung Sahn did not bring his tradition (Jogye Order Buddhism) from Korea and expect Western folks to follow it. He very much wanted a new tradition to develop, based on the sensibilities of the students he encountered, who were not, for the most part, Asian. So, Kwan Um is Western Zen, with Korean roots.

🙏
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

KeithA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 am
Dharmalight889 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 am On the Kwan Um website there are lots of suggested reading, although I wanted to see if anyone here has suggestions on which book to start with to learn more about Seung Sahn's teachings and what is unique to the Kwan Um school of Zen.

What is unique about our tradition is that Seung Sahn did not bring his tradition (Jogye Order Buddhism) from Korea and expect Western folks to follow it. He very much wanted a new tradition to develop, based on the sensibilities of the students he encountered, who were not, for the most part, Asian. So, Kwan Um is Western Zen, with Korean roots.

🙏
Keith
I know this is a bit of an old post but could you elaborate on what is different between the Jogye order and the Kwan Um school? I'm assuming some differences between monastic focus and lay focus but are there other differences? I saw it mentioned on the Kwan Um website when reading an article but have never been sure.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:07 am
KeithA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 am

🙏
Keith
I know this is a bit of an old post but could you elaborate on what is different between the Jogye order and the Kwan Um school? I'm assuming some differences between monastic focus and lay focus but are there other differences? I saw it mentioned on the Kwan Um website when reading an article but have never been sure.
Hi Nicholas,

Kwan Um is Western Zen, with Korean roots. Chogye is Korean Seon (Zen). They are really two different things. Our founder was a Chogye order monastic, but chose not to have Western practitioners copy Asian style traditions. Instead, he provided a framework of.practice based loosely on his tradition, but let it develop in it's own way. H wasn't perfect, but this decision.was genius, and why the tradition is still strong even after his passing some years ago.

🙏

New Haven Zen Center
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

Happy birthday Keith!

🙏
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

master of puppets wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 am Happy birthday Keith!

🙏
Haha! Thanks so much, MOP!

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Seon”