What is the function of meditation?

desert_woodworker

Re: What is the function of meditation?

Post by desert_woodworker »

Meditation functions as sitting.

Brain-scientists tell us things about it, too.

Dogen-specific Soto people may not like to hear what the brain scientists say, because it seems that changes occur as a result of sufficient and correct "meditation" practice, and other practices. This makes it seem as if awakening is not quite practice (zazen), as Dogen teaches, but that awakening (if it should occur) is a result of that practice, not a mere manifestation of it WHILE PRACTICING.

But that may be another fine (too fine?) discussion.

I'd agree that "it's-good-psychology" to minimally emphasize striving, effort, exertion. But, if you're a Linji or Rinzai person, "never mind" this, but keep close to your teacher. Each school has its own logic and wonderful progression. Don't mix!

In his video, I really honor my master Sheng Yen's young heir, Guo-Jun Shih, saying that meditation makes you "tolerant". Guo-Jun is eloquent and, I feel, correct. In his teaching... from experience.

--Joe

p.s. I'd mention physical changes which enable and support the awakened state, but, maybe another time, sometime.
desert_woodworker

Re: What is the function of meditation?

Post by desert_woodworker »

And here is the 10-min video concerning Sheng Yen's young(est) heir, Guo-Jun, in which he mentions that one of the functions of meditation is in making a practitioner more "tolerant". Nicely observed, I'd say.

Do (does) HTML work, here? Newbie, myself, I'll find out, sorry, if no-go. Looking for the "YouTube"-wrapper on this board, don't see it.

--Joe

Return to “Chan”