“Equivalent” of sādhana in Chinese Buddhism?

KiwiNFLFan

“Equivalent” of sādhana in Chinese Buddhism?

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Does Chinese Buddhism have devotional texts to particular Buddhas or Bodhisattvas, like the Tibetan sādhanas? Some prayers, mantra recitation, etc to that Buddha/Bodhisattva?

I know Japanese Jōdo Shū has a service called “otsutome” in praise of Amitābha Buddha. But are there similar services for say, Avalokiteśvara or Kshitigarbha?
humble.student

Re: “Equivalent” of sādhana in Chinese Buddhism?

Post by humble.student »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm Does Chinese Buddhism have devotional texts to particular Buddhas or Bodhisattvas, like the Tibetan sādhanas? Some prayers, mantra recitation, etc to that Buddha/Bodhisattva?

I know Japanese Jōdo Shū has a service called “otsutome” in praise of Amitābha Buddha. But are there similar services for say, Avalokiteśvara or Kshitigarbha?
Yes, there are many indeed.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Any links?
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:51 pm Any links?
Well what did you want to know exactly? I mean, when I said there were loads, I meant just that. In English though, not so much, although you'll find a good few Guanyin practices translated. Offhand, the main ones would be Guanyin, Amitabha, Kshitigarbha, Akashagarbha, Cundi, Medicine Buddha and so on. Many of the dharani sutras list sadhanas of one type or another, and there are many repentance ceremonies based on a particular bodhisattva and their vows as well. Being sutra, they don't require some sort of transmission, and so are popular. I'll see if I can find a few for you.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

There are plenty of tantric sādhana in the Chinese canons. Some examples can be found in the Chinese translations of the Māyājālamahātantra or Vairocanābhisambodhi.

As for general exoteric Dharma services with emphasis on one or another buddha or bodhisattva, generally I think what you would find is a text associated with that figure being recited in between framing rituals, such as 1. Incense praise, 2. sutra opening verse, 3. Universal Door Chapter (in relation to Avalokiteśvara), 4. continual recitation of Avalokiteśvara's name, 5. refuge, 6. dedication of merit.

As humble.student stated, there are hundreds of such things, so if you are looking for something in particular it would be best to be more specific.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

humble.student wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
Well what did you want to know exactly? I mean, when I said there were loads, I meant just that. In English though, not so much, although you'll find a good few Guanyin practices translated. Offhand, the main ones would be Guanyin, Amitabha, Kshitigarbha, Akashagarbha, Cundi, Medicine Buddha and so on. Many of the dharani sutras list sadhanas of one type or another, and there are many repentance ceremonies based on a particular bodhisattva and their vows as well. Being sutra, they don't require some sort of transmission, and so are popular. I'll see if I can find a few for you.
I’m looking for Guanyin and Ksitigarbha practices. Doesn’t matter if they are in Chinese - I studied it at university.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:01 am
humble.student wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
I’m looking for Guanyin and Ksitigarbha practices. Doesn’t matter if they are in Chinese - I studied it at university.
Here's one: https://www.ifreesite.com/scriptures/dabeichan.pdf
and here's another: http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/sut ... 0n1158.pdf

If you search for [name of Bodhisattva in Chinese] + [something like 法門 or 儀軌] you'll find the kind of results you're after.

Return to “Chan”