Treatment of scriptures and sacred objects in Chinese Buddhism

KiwiNFLFan

Treatment of scriptures and sacred objects in Chinese Buddhism

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

In my quest for an English chanting book, I came across this book by Lu Jun Hong. I've read other threads about him and I know that he is controversial.

On the second page of the book, he has a list of rules for treating Buddhist scriptures, including not carrying them below the waist, not placing them on a bed and not taking them into the restroom.

Are these rules pretty normal for Chinese Buddhism? They would not sound out of place in Tibetan Buddhism, but I have little knowledge of Chinese Buddhism.

I have a couple of wrist malas, as well as a small statue of Guan Yin in a wooden case with the Heart Sutra written on it. I bought it in Japan, where objects like these, known as omamori, are carried by people in their daily life. Before I bought it, I asked the lady in the shop (in Japanese) whether it was permissible to take it into the bathroom. She said it was. But what would be the Chinese view on this (especially since they don't have omamori in their culture)? Would it be permissible to take it into the bathroom? What about the wrist malas (if you roll them up your sleeve when using the toilet)?

Also, would these rules apply to Buddhist scriptures on an iPad or other tablet? I have a lot of Buddhist books on my tablet, and I like to read on my tablet in bed.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Treatment of scriptures and sacred objects in Chinese Buddhism

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It means don't take them into a dirty place.

These days, in the west, many people's bathrooms are spotless and cleaned with disinfectants, etc.
Maybe cleaner than where they meditate!

Do what you feel comfortable with. If you are wearing a wrist mala,
be mindful to keep it the wrist of whatever hand you aren't using for bathroom business.

Reading online texts, same thing.

Buddhist rules aren't "thou shalt not..." laws from a god. It's n ot like you are going to get punishment.
The universe isn't going to strike you down.
They exist as means of developing wisdom and compassion. They are tools to help discipline the mind.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Chan”