Dharma name

KiwiNFLFan

Dharma name

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Hi, what is the process of getting a Dharma name in the Chinese Chan tradition (I think my local temple is in the Linji lineage)? Is it simply through taking the Five Precepts (which I already took when I took refuge in my local Thai temple)? And does it involve placing a burning incense stick on the arm like the Korean ceremony?
FromTheEarth

Re: Dharma name

Post by FromTheEarth »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:50 am Hi, what is the process of getting a Dharma name in the Chinese Chan tradition (I think my local temple is in the Linji lineage)? Is it simply through taking the Five Precepts (which I already took when I took refuge in my local Thai temple)? And does it involve placing a burning incense stick on the arm like the Korean ceremony?
Dharma names are normally given during the refuge transmission. Since nowadays it is common to hold the refuge transmission and precept transmission altogether, so kinda "yes" to your second question.

Regarding the incense burning procedure, to my knowledge it is not practiced in any Chinese Buddhist communities today.
nowmindful

Re: Dharma name

Post by nowmindful »

I gave myself my own dharma name as no dharma name name was given to me when I took refuge long time ago. No need be so formal for me as don't need to register the name. And it is just a "title".

Return to “Chan”