What is sems tsam, 'i in Tibetan reference

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
thomaslaw

What is sems tsam, 'i in Tibetan reference

Post by thomaslaw »

Dear Dharma friends,

Could you explain what is sems tsam, 'i when referring to a Tibetan text in an article or book? Does it mean: leaf/folio, number?

Thanks
karmanyingpo

Re: What is sems tsam, 'i in Tibetan reference

Post by karmanyingpo »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:02 am Dear Dharma friends,

Could you explain what is sems tsam, 'i when referring to a Tibetan text in an article or book? Does it mean: leaf/folio, number?

Thanks
I thought sems meant mind

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:02 am Dear Dharma friends,

Thanks
It refers to the cittamatra section of the translations of Indian commentaries in the Tibetan canon.
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

Thanks.

It seems this is about a name of a text, which the full indication is: P 5540, sems tsam, 'i

P is Peking edition (Otani), followed by the text number 5540, and then the name of the text (sems tsam, 'i = cittamatra ?)

Is this correct?
Last edited by thomaslaw on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
ratna

Post by ratna »

thomaslaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 am Thanks.

It seems this is about a name of a text, which the full indication is: P 5540, sems tsam, 'i

P is Peking edition (Otani), followed by the text number 5540, and then the name of the text (sems tsam, 'i = cittamatra ?)

Is this correct?
"sems tsam" is the "Cittamatra" section of the bKa' 'gyur.
"'i" is the volume letter in the Tibetan alphabetic system of marking volumes in a multi-volume edition. In this case, it refers to volume 111 in the Peking edition of the bKa' 'gyur.
P 5540 is the reference number of the text in the Otani catalogue of the Peking edition of the bKa' 'gyur.

In this case, the reference is to རྣལ་འབྱོར་སྤྱོད་པའི་ས་ལས་གཞི་བསྡུ་, or yogācārabhūmau vastusaṁgrahaṇī: https://web1.otani.ac.jp/cri/twrpe/peki ... &re_num=-1
thomaslaw

Post by thomaslaw »

ratna wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:56 am
thomaslaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 am Thanks.

Is this correct?
"sems tsam" is the "Cittamatra" section of the bKa' 'gyur.
"'i" is the volume letter in the Tibetan alphabetic system of marking volumes in a multi-volume edition. In this case, it refers to volume 111 in the Peking edition of the bKa' 'gyur.
P 5540 is the reference number of the text in the Otani catalogue of the Peking edition of the bKa' 'gyur.

In this case, the reference is to རྣལ་འབྱོར་སྤྱོད་པའི་ས་ལས་གཞི་བསྡུ་, or yogācārabhūmau vastusaṁgrahaṇī: https://web1.otani.ac.jp/cri/twrpe/peki ... &re_num=-1
Thank you very much indeed, Ratna. :namaste:

Return to “Academic Discussion”