Buddhist Theory of Momentariness - Sources for Studying

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Svalaksana

Buddhist Theory of Momentariness - Sources for Studying

Post by Svalaksana »

I've been interested in the concept of Time for a long time now, and the interest has been reinforced after first acquainting myself with Western Philosophy, way before I came to find Buddhism. Texts such as Augustine's Confessions and Husserl's On the Phenomenology of the Consciousness of Internal Time provided much food for thought, but at some point later I came across the Buddhist theory of momentariness, though the information regarding it on the internet is meagre.

I was wondering what authors in the Buddhist philosophical traditional gave a particularly extensive or novel account of this theory, and in which written works and translations would I find this matter explored and discussed, including more recent recensions and commentary. I know of a few translations of Ratnakirti, though they're either too expensive, too hard to find or just plain in simply sold-out or out of print. Any help would be welcomed, so thanks in advance.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Dhammanando

Re: Buddhist Theory of Momentariness - Sources for Studying

Post by Dhammanando »

I suggest that you start with Alexander von Rospatt's study, The Buddhist Doctrine of Momentariness, and then proceed to anything in its bibliography that interests you.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:36 pm I suggest that you start with Alexander von Rospatt's study, The Buddhist Doctrine of Momentariness, and then proceed to anything in its bibliography that interests you.
Thanks. Have you read it yourself? Any particular Buddhist scholars and authors that you could recommend, related to this subject?

Also, would you happen to know where I might be able to find this book for sale? I have found the PDF online, but reading long texts on a screen bothers my eyes fairly soon, even with glasses, never got used to it. I still much prefer to resort to books and written publications whevener possible.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I am curious about the status of this doctrine in Mahayana, so if anyone has any references for that, that would be great.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Manjushri wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 am I've been interested in the concept of Time
In Abhidharma, the basic unit of time the duration of a thought. That is the basis for calculating time in Buddhadharma in the Indian tradition. Not sure about the Theravadin tradition.

See my blog post here:

http://www.bhaisajya.net/2008/10/time-i ... icine.html

So basically, there are 75 moments in one second. That is the smallest unit of time in the Indian Buddhist tradition.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Manjushri wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm Thanks. Have you read it yourself? Any particular Buddhist scholars and authors that you could recommend, related to this subject?
After Rospatt, if your interest in momentarism remains intact, then cut out the middlemen and go straight to the primary sources, starting with the Abhidharmakosabhasya for the Sarvastivada and the Abhidhammatthasangaha for the Theravada.

As for modern studies, in my opinion Rospatt's book relegates all preceding English-language expositions of momentarism (e.g., the works of Mukherjee, Conze, Stcherbatsky, etc.) to the status of mere period pieces. As for what's been published in the quarter century since his book came out, I'm afraid I haven't been keeping an eye on things, but other posters here may know of something.
Manjushri wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm Also, would you happen to know where I might be able to find this book for sale?
I'm afraid I don't.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:35 pm
Manjushri wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 am I've been interested in the concept of Time
In Abhidharma, the basic unit of time the duration of a thought. That is the basis for calculating time in Buddhadharma in the Indian tradition. Not sure about the Theravadin tradition.

See my blog post here:

http://www.bhaisajya.net/2008/10/time-i ... icine.html

So basically, there are 75 moments in one second. That is the smallest unit of time in the Indian Buddhist tradition.
Thanks for the info. Are there scriptures or sutras that get into that specific matter that you could recommend?
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Dhammanando wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm After Rospatt, if your interest in momentarism remains intact, then cut out the middlemen and go straight to the primary sources, starting with the Abhidharmakosabhasya for the Sarvastivada and the Abhidhammatthasangaha for the Theravada.

As for modern studies, in my opinion Rospatt's book relegates all preceding English-language expositions of momentarism (e.g., the works of Mukherjee, Conze, Stcherbatsky, etc.) to the status of mere period pieces. As for what's been published in the quarter century since his book came out, I'm afraid I haven't been keeping an eye on things, but other posters here may know of something.
Thanks a lot for the info, I will try to get my hands and eyes on Rospatt's work. I'm currently treading slowly through Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasya, so I'm guessing that eventually the matter will come into sight in there too.

Return to “Academic Discussion”