Has anyone read On Realizing There is Only the Virtual Nature of Consciousness

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Leo Rivers

Has anyone read On Realizing There is Only the Virtual Nature of Consciousness

Post by Leo Rivers »

On Realizing There is Only the Virtual Nature of Consciousness Paperback – June 18, 2019
by Peter Lunde Johnson
https://www.amazon.com/Realizing-There- ... ks&sr=1-33
A translation of the definitive discourse on the nature of the mind and its spiritual restoration by Xuanzang in accordance with the teachings of the Buddhist School on Engaged Meditation (Yogacara). Translated into clear English and organized in an outline form to make it approachable by anyone, this unique work also provides key terms in Sanskrit and Chinese.
Image :reading:
Svalaksana

Re: Has anyone read On Realizing There is Only the Virtual Nature of Consciousness

Post by Svalaksana »

Anyone managed to get their hands and eyes on this that could offer some feedback?

Given the text's grand reputation and influence in Zen tradition, there's a huge interest in getting acquainted with it. However, it seems it has been published in a short time period by An Lac Publications, Lulu.com and "Creatspace Independent", so it would be nice if someone could shed some light on this issue and the editions themselves.

By the way, are there other translations of this text from, say, Shambhala, Wisdom, or some other Buddhist publishers? Seems odd to have such an influential text being published under these circumstances.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Has anyone read On Realizing There is Only the Virtual Nature of Consciousness

Post by Astus »

Manjushri wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:53 pm By the way, are there other translations of this text from, say, Shambhala, Wisdom, or some other Buddhist publishers?
There's a good translation by Wei Tat, and one by Francis Cook published by BDK.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Academic Discussion”