Claim: Buddha Shakyamuni was a student/emanation of Bon Buddha?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
gelukman

Claim: Buddha Shakyamuni was a student/emanation of Bon Buddha?

Post by gelukman »

Hello

Is this claim true? Where can we find evidence?
I told that this claim will just reap negativity and
wanted it to be removed. As this did not happen.
Maybe then we try to research into it?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonposo ... SEARCH_BOX
https://yungdrungbon.co.uk/shakyamuni-s ... g-rigdzin/
PeterC

Re: Claim: Buddha Shakyamuni was a student/emanation of Bon Buddha?

Post by PeterC »

I would not get too excited by this. The person making them (https://yungdrungbon.co.uk/dmitry-ermakov/) seems to be pursuing some sort of Grand Unified Theory of Buddhology, and he presents here an academic analysis. To use Malcolm's categorization, once you're talking about previous incarnations of Buddhas you're in the realm of myth, which can by definition neither be proven nor disproven. In any case, the Dzogchen lineage in the ZZNG originates with Kuntuzangpo.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ah, yes. I mean sure why not, but still pretty strange that most of Bön sutras are copied from Buddhists. It could as well be true, after all in one of the sutras there are mentions of monks and stupas from the time of Kasyapa still being around at the time of Buddha Shakyamuni. But really no way of verifying and since most of the texts that Bönpos will quote are probably impossible to track before the time Buddhadharma came to Tibet... one has to assume that their theory is just a political myth.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

This narrative is total nonsense. There are no old sources proving these assertions. These are just post-12th century developments. Even the ZZNG is post-dynastic and may not be earlier than the late 11th century.
To have an historical understanding of who Tonpa Shenrab was, one ought to read the documents from the dGa' thang bum pa stupa. The Bellezza paper on the subject is free online.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

mutsuk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 pm This narrative is total nonsense. There are no old sources proving these assertions. These are just post-12th century developments. Even the ZZNG is post-dynastic and may not be earlier than the late 11th century.
To have an historical understanding of who Tonpa Shenrab was, one ought to read the documents from the dGa' thang bum pa stupa. The Bellezza paper on the subject is free online.
Is there any identification of Tonpa Shenrab with Kashyapa?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

No, obviously not. Bon's narrative about its existence in pre-dynastic and dynastic Tibet is a fantasy elaborated backwards in order to compete (on historical, philosophical, and doctrinal grounds, etc.) with the Nyingma and the newer schools.

Belllezza's paper is here :
http://himalaya.socanth.cam.ac.uk/colle ... _29_07.pdf

See also on TBRC : https://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=W8LS66509 .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:17 pm No, obviously not. Bon's narrative about its existence in pre-dynastic and dynastic Tibet is a fantasy elaborated backwards in order to compete (on historical, philosophical, and doctrinal grounds, etc.) with the Nyingma and the newer schools.

Belllezza's paper is here :
http://himalaya.socanth.cam.ac.uk/colle ... _29_07.pdf

See also on TBRC : https://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=W8LS66509 .
On a whim, I recently purchased Ermakov's book. I was appalled at a) how poorly it was manufactured b) how messily organized it was, and c) how replete it was with discredited theories about an arctic ancestral homeland for Indo-Europeans, etc. I am amazed that he was ever given any credit in the academy at all.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

gelukman wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am Hello

Is this claim true? Where can we find evidence?
I told that this claim will just reap negativity and
wanted it to be removed. As this did not happen.
Maybe then we try to research into it?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bonposo ... SEARCH_BOX
https://yungdrungbon.co.uk/shakyamuni-s ... g-rigdzin/
No evidence for it, in fact there is a bunch of evidence to the contrary, that many Bonpo scriptures are taken directly from Buddhism. Of course there are parts of Vajrayana likely coming from the Bon tradition too.

But yeah, having actually dipped my tow into the Bon world a teeny bit, these sorts of ideas are taken seriously...I couldn't do it, which limited my participation, despite loving the teachings I was exposed to themselves.

As far as the forum, arguments based on such a claim are most appropriate in the Bon subforum, where they fit at least.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:47 pm I am amazed that he was ever given any credit in the academy at all.
Interesting. Who is giving him credit? I'm curious, as I try to read, to the best of my abilities, whatever academic work is published on Bon, and I've not seen Ermakov quoted anywhere by the "big names" (Karmay, Blondeau, Kvaerne, and al.) in Bon so far. His approach is outdated, looks like pre-1960s "oriental studies" and his lack of knowledge of classical tibetan is a big problem...not to mention that he does not read cursive (when 95% of Bon texts are in cursive...).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:17 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:47 pm I am amazed that he was ever given any credit in the academy at all.
Interesting. Who is giving him credit? I'm curious, as I try to read, to the best of my abilities, whatever academic work is published on Bon, and I've not seen Ermakov quoted anywhere by the "big names" (Karmay, Blondeau, Kvaerne, and al.) in Bon so far. His approach is outdated, looks like pre-1960s "oriental studies" and his lack of knowledge of classical tibetan is a big problem...not to mention that he does not read cursive (when 95% of Bon texts are in cursive...).
Supposedly he was mentored by Charles Ramble, according to his own account:
"I then went on to study Tibetan at Oxford University with Prof. Charles Ramble (2009-2010) becoming his research assiatant and, as well as having articles published in both English and Russian, has been invited to lecture in Oxford, London, St. Petersburg, Vilnius, Cagliari, Budapest etc. In 2011 I was invited to speak at 'Bon, Shangshung, and Early Tibet' conference where I delivered a paper 'Bön as a multifaceted phenomenon: looking beyond Tibet to the cultural and religious traditions of Eurasia' which since has been published as a multimedia presentation on Foundation for the Preservation of Yungdrung Bön's website and can also be watched in the Video section of this Author Page.

You have to read Ramble's blurb to believe it:
Many writers have sought to establish a link between the Bön religion of Tibet and the shamanic traditions of Siberia. These attempts are largely unsystematic and piecemeal, and the results have been unconvincing. This remarkable book is the most thorough attempt to date to explore these connections. On the basis of wide-ranging scholarship as well as a long and close association with the most eminent exponents of the traditions he explores, the author presents the richness of Tibetan Bön and Buryatian Bө Murgel, discerning beneath the distinctive features of these systems a matrix of beliefs and practices in which they have their origins. Written from an "emic" perspective of sympathy with the tenets of Bön and Bө Murgel, this fascinating and provocative book is sure to stimulate interest and debate concerning the religious heritage of Inner Asia.'
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

OK, thanks for that. It's really surprising to read Ramble's blurb as he is generally better informed (and imo quite good at what he does).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm OK, thanks for that. It's really surprising to read Ramble's blurb as he is generally better informed (and imo quite good at what he does).
On another note, I am sure you have read some of Daniel Bernousky's work. Really excellent, I have to say.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Yes, he is really good indeed.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

gelukman wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am Is this claim true?
No.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood East Asian Buddhist
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I think Ramble was just being provocative or polite with his blurb, or both. Ermakov's magnum opus (now about 20 years old) has a lot of interesting and valuable information on Siberian shamans that he gained first-hand, but the work as a whole is not very scholarly and is never cited by Tibet scholars. Still, as an exercise in showing how weak the received assumptions on Bon/Buddhist relationships are (the "authoritative" account that has been repeatedly relied on by Tibetan scholars is a tissue of falsehoods), the work is worth reading if you have a lot of time and take it with a shakerfull of salt.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

where this idea came from? it is supposed that the text is just author's research? this is yet another bonpo complex?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 pm where this idea came from? it is supposed that the text is just author's research? this is yet another bonpo complex?
The second one
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 pm where this idea came from? it is supposed that the text is just author's research? this is yet another bonpo complex?
I think It comes from so many years of religious competition between Vajrayana and Bon, basically. There are whole Bon philosophical works produced sort of "in response" to Buddhsim, so there are all kinds of "alternative history" ideas like this. Like I said, I found it nagging enough that I couldn't really devote myself to learning from Bon teachers the way I would Buddhist ones, some of the claims are just too out there.

I have no idea precisely where this particular idea comes from, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's some kind of direct claim from a Bonpo Terma, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tingdzin wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:09 am I think Ramble was just being provocative or polite with his blurb, or both. Ermakov's magnum opus (now about 20 years old) has a lot of interesting and valuable information on Siberian shamans that he gained first-hand, but the work as a whole is not very scholarly and is never cited by Tibet scholars. Still, as an exercise in showing how weak the received assumptions on Bon/Buddhist relationships are (the "authoritative" account that has been repeatedly relied on by Tibetan scholars is a tissue of falsehoods), the work is worth reading if you have a lot of time and take it with a shakerfull of salt.
Which one did you have in mind? Classical or modern?
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:20 pm Which one did you have in mind? Classical or modern?
Sorry, which one what? If you're talking about "authoritative account" of Bon history, I had in mind the one that was promulgated by Drigung Paldzin long ago, and more recently taken up by Sumpa Khenpo, which was still taken as gospel in many quarters of Tibet up to 1950, and I think it was Helmut Hoffmann's main source for his account of Bon (not sure of that, though). A lot of scholars such as Samten Karmay and Dan Martin have devoted some attention to unravelling this account.

Return to “Academic Discussion”