Regarding Livelihood

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Codexmaster985

Regarding Livelihood

Post by Codexmaster985 »

Hi can any one answer what if we live on by means of allowing one body to undertake harsh conditions of work that would do harm to the body would it be bad then?should one continue such work?
(Meaning for example a person has a skin disease eczema and is allergy to many types of environment factors like dust,dry air,sunny weather etc..) but having this condition have choose to continue to work but the work brings him harm to the body should one continues such work then?

Another question:what if one has no choice and have to undertake the work that does harm to the body inevitably?(for example:people that are in poorer countries or people that get force to work) what can be done?
Aemilius

Re: Regarding Livelihood

Post by Aemilius »

To the first question: It is impossible to make such general rules that you maybe have in mind. Each case and person has to be studied individually, the circumstances and persons vary greatly. This is a practical question, many people have faced it and have answered it by whatever they have decided to do.

There is a grammatical error in the second question: "or people that get force to work", what do you want to say?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Codexmaster985 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 am Hi can any one answer what if we live on by means of allowing one body to undertake harsh conditions of work that would do harm to the body would it be bad then?should one continue such work?
(Meaning for example a person has a skin disease eczema and is allergy to many types of environment factors like dust,dry air,sunny weather etc..) but having this condition have choose to continue to work but the work brings him harm to the body should one continues such work then?

Another question:what if one has no choice and have to undertake the work that does harm to the body inevitably?(for example:people that are in poorer countries or people that get force to work) what can be done?
I worked in a somewhat environmentally toxic workplace for decades, but no longer. I tried to retrain for other careers a couple of times but didn't succeed at it. My skin has healed, but I do have some skeletal/alignment issues to work through, i was lucky. What's this got to do with Dharma? Are you just seeking advice?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Codexmaster985

Post by Codexmaster985 »

Oh first of because working at such harsh conditions but to the extent where my body is being harm badly.This is why i am confused since health is a concerning issue and that if by working at such workplace would make it worst to some extent shld one continue such work?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

If you can get a different job that doesn't harm your health it seems like an obvious choice doesn't it? You could keep the current job until you find a new one if you can't leave right away due to finances or available opportunities.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha

Return to “Academic Discussion”