Daniel P Brown - Pointing Out Way?

KAZMAN

Re: Daniel P Brown - Pointing Out Way?

Post by KAZMAN »

Up front full disclosure - I am on the Board of the Pointing Out the Great Way Foundation.

I just ran across this post and thought I might add a comment or two.

From personal experience I can attest that Dan Brown is a very good meditation teacher.

He brings an extensive background in meditation and psychology. You can check out both his psychology and meditation credentials at drdanielpbrown.com. From a mediation perspective he has studied under numerous Indo/Tibetan and Burmese teachers representing a variety of lineages.

I do not know the particulars but Pointing Out refers both to a teaching style as well as the very direct introduction of the natural state of the mind based on Pointing Out Instructions. This is an accelerator and perhaps not everyone has the capacity or karmic inclination to be open to/by it. From my personal experience in my Level One retreat there were roughly 40 participants with various levels of prior meditation practice. I would say all participants greatly increased there concentration and in turn abiding calm/zhine/nepa abilities and roughly a third of the participants had very dramatic experiences associated with the pointing out the nature of the mind. There was no, or perhaps an inverse, correlation between prior level of meditation practice and the degree to which the pointing out instructions lead to dramatic experience. Given that there were individuals who had 20 and 30 year meditation practices and also had dramatic experiences I felt very fortunate to have apparently randomly crossed paths with Dan and attended that retreat.

I am sure Dan is well aware that this introduction is just a beginning but he offers it with little advance preparation so that false and rigid conceptualization does not block the experience and or realization.

I have not discussed the subject with Dan but think he would agree with the following comment by the Mahamudra and Dzogchen Master Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche

"I think that it is of far greater importance than the experience of dramatic instantaneous pointing out that people be taught mahamudra as a full system of instruction that they can implement on their own gradually through diligent application using any one of the three texts by the Ninth Gyalwang Karmapa - An Ocean of the Ultimate Meaning, Eliminating the Darkness of Ignorance, or Pointing Out the Dharmakaya - or one of the two texts by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal - Moonbeams of Mahamudra or Clarifyng the Natural State."

I offer this just to let you know that the pointing out teach style and instructions are recognized and utilized by other linneages and I think if you were to read Dan's book "Pointing Out the Great Way: The Stages of Meditation in the Mahamudra Tradition" you would agree that he is well versed in the works cited by Thrangu Rinpoche. He also would not encourage you to read that book until you were well established in the view as the conceptual focus would perhaps provide more hindrance than benefit. For the advanced practitioner I can highly recommend that book, as has Robert Thurman.

Dan has studied with a variety of linneages and is very respectful of each. As a Rime practitioner and teacher he is providing a map to western students that can lead to the Great Completion. At the request and under the guidance of the Bon linneage holder His Holiness the 33 rd Menri Trizin, Dan and Geshe Sonam have and will complete the English translation of a collection of Sacred Bon Texts including the Akhrid and Kusum Rangshar Bon Great Completion texts. These texts are currently available to and should be studied by students who are on the Great Completion path and are studying with a qualified teacher. I believe these texts will benefit the many western students that do not develop a fluency in written Tibetan and will be utilized by many qualified teachers that currently hold the transmission but do not have texts to facilitate their teaching to western students.
If you are one that holds the transmission and are authorized to teach I would highly recommend you review the translations for use with your students.

In essence, if one is inclined to attend a retreat with Dan Brown I would suspect good outcomes. I hope in the future that he and others will be able to offer more students teachings on Akhrid and Kusum Rangshar and that the teachings will continue to spread far and wide for the benefit of all.

-
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

DKR says in "the guru drinks bourbon" that a teacher with no realization at all can still be the guru of a student who attains complete Buddhahood, if I understood correctly, which I probably didn't...

I don't remember whether or not DKR stated if that applies to false teachers without legit credentials. :shrug:
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

monktastic wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:29 pm Thought I'd ping this thread to see if there are any more folks with experiences to share. I have a family member who's interested.
Just wanted to say that my family member attended his most recent retreat. Said relative has been on a couple vipassana retreats as well as other spiritual expeditions but definitively recognized something on this retreat that previously eluded him. Gives the strongest possible recommendation.
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Yo, this thread is about a specific teacher. If people want to talk about him specifically, including any controversies, great as long as it's within the ToS.

On the other hand, it's not really the place for general talk about what makes a legitimate Guru etc. and such conversations should probably have their own thread.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

An addendum:

If people want to post about the "legitimacy" of lack thereof of public figures and teachers, you need to come correct.

Meaning that you should actually have some substantiation for any claims made, and not make vague claims about legitimacy based on personal disposition or opinions.

This is only reasonable, given that this is a relatively widely read Buddhist forum, and people are openly discussing various teachers. The standards should be high.

-Khunu Lama
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

I just found this gem of an interview with Daniel Brown from last year:

When I say "gem," I mean it. I've never heard such a complete and detailed breakdown of the path anywhere. Some may even find it offensive how much detail he goes into about esoteric practices. But apparently HH Menri Trizin is not only on board with his approach, but is proactively encouraging it, for fear of the tradition dying out without some torch-bearers in the West.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my brother-in-law's progression from Dan's Level 1 retreat has been nothing short of miraculous. I am immensely grateful for whatever is transpiring to make this whole thing possible.
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
fckw

Post by fckw »

Just to mention for whoever might be interested: Mr. Brown's health is not the best. It is uncertain how long he will be able to continue to teach. So, if anyone is inclined to show up at his retreats, better to do so sooner rather than later.
heart

Post by heart »

monktastic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 pm I just found this gem of an interview with Daniel Brown from last year:

When I say "gem," I mean it. I've never heard such a complete and detailed breakdown of the path anywhere. Some may even find it offensive how much detail he goes into about esoteric practices. But apparently HH Menri Trizin is not only on board with his approach, but is proactively encouraging it, for fear of the tradition dying out without some torch-bearers in the West.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my brother-in-law's progression from Dan's Level 1 retreat has been nothing short of miraculous. I am immensely grateful for whatever is transpiring to make this whole thing possible.
It is quite interesting. Even if I don't agree with everything he says it is in no way "offensive".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

heart wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm It is quite interesting. Even if I don't agree with everything he says it is in no way "offensive".

/magnus
Glad to hear it. "Offensive" is the wrong word. People may not appreciate him describing esoteric practices in some detail so publicly.
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
heart

Post by heart »

monktastic wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:36 pm
heart wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm It is quite interesting. Even if I don't agree with everything he says it is in no way "offensive".

/magnus
Glad to hear it. "Offensive" is the wrong word. People may not appreciate him describing esoteric practices in some detail so publicly.
Actually, I don't think he did that. He was kind of mapping up the path according to his understanding, no real harm in that. It is good that people know how deep the rabbit hole goes.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pero

Post by Pero »

Watched the video yesterday, thanks for sharing Monktastic! I found his point on silent retreats/sensory deprivation interesting (and other stuff he said too), on looking back I can see that somewhat in my own limited experience. Still don't agree about not doing silent retreats at all though.

Anyone know where I could get his Pointing Out The Great Way book? The only option available now seems to be Wisdom, and I'd rather not pay $95 for it ($55 is shipping which is nuts and then I have to add local taxes which would probably be another $20-$30) if there's a cheaper alternative. There's Kindle version but for stuff like this I prefer paperback.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
PSM

Post by PSM »

monktastic wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 pm I just found this gem of an interview with Daniel Brown from last year:

Great, great interview. His point about people not taking their meditation seriously enough - including keeping in mind the goal is total buddhahood, not just more mindfulness - is so important.
Pero

Post by Pero »

PSM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm Great, great interview. His point about people not taking their meditation seriously enough - including keeping in mind the goal is total buddhahood, not just more mindfulness - is so important.
His reply to someone asking what to do if they have 10 minutes a day to practice was great and sobering.

BTW, not sure if this is intentional or not but your PM receiving is turned off.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
PSM

Post by PSM »

Pero wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 pm
PSM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm Great, great interview. His point about people not taking their meditation seriously enough - including keeping in mind the goal is total buddhahood, not just more mindfulness - is so important.
His reply to someone asking what to do if they have 10 minutes a day to practice was great and sobering.
Yes, that was also a great and honest answer.
BTW, not sure if this is intentional or not but your PM receiving is turned off.
They're back on.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I really like his style.

-Khunu Lama
Pero

Post by Pero »

PSM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm They're back on.
They're not. :smile:
- Shabkar
PSM

Post by PSM »

Pero wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:58 pm
PSM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm They're back on.
They're not. :smile:
Should be now...
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Hey!!

I am also interested in the Mahamudra practices and teachings. :bow:
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

My wife, her brother, and I just returned from a retreat given by Dan-la. He asks his students not to advertise, so I will refrain from doing so. That said, if you have found yourself considering it, stop wondering and just go. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Is the meditation.

--Gampopa
Danny

Post by Danny »

KAZMAN wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm diligent application using any one of the three texts by the Ninth Gyalwang Karmapa - An Ocean of the Ultimate Meaning,

-
If memory serves, and kagyupas can confirm, I believe that text is restricted.

Regards

Return to “Mahamudra”