Tina, the Mani Mantra and Arrival of Presence

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Dean

Tina, the Mani Mantra and Arrival of Presence

Post by Dean »

Hello,

This is my first post. I thought I’d introduce myself and share what has brought me here.

Have you seen the Tina Turner documentary on HBO MAX? I was so amazed how she transformed extreme adversity into incredible success that I saw it several times. I wanted to know more about the spiritual side of her journey and discovered her latest book Happiness Becomes You. My takeaway from the book was that she transformed her life through positivity, tenacity and Buddhist chanting.

I’m not attracted to the culture of Tina’s form of Buddhism so I searched for a Sanskrit Buddhist chant and discovered Om Mani Padme Hum which felt like a good fit. Subsequently, I purchased a mala for counting. It took me a couple days to get the chant down. I was contemplating what “the jewel of the lotus” meant while chanting when I realized that it was call to the Greater Self. When I thought that, I felt “The Presence”… like my aura was subtly electrified. I’m still trying to figure out what “jewel” represents. There are various accounts online about what the mani mantra means. I almost think that its vague so that it’s up to individuals figure it out its mystery.

Anyways, I don’t have anyone in IRL to share my spiritual journey with so I’m sharing with you. Thank you for reading.

Om mani padme hum,
Dean
Shotenzenjin

Re: Tina, the Mani Mantra and Arrival of Presence

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Welcome to DW!
With the wisdom of threefold purity, dedicate all the virtue gained from having made such effort toward enlightenment. Dedicate it to clear away the suffering of infinite beings. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.
Gyalsé Ngulchu Tokmé (རྒྱལ་སྲས་དངུལ་ཆུ་ཐོགས་མེད་), The Thirty-Seven Practices of All the Bodhisattvas
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Dean wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm I almost think that its vague so that it’s up to individuals (to) figure it out its mystery.

Here's one explanation that's anything but vague:

https://buddhismnow.com/2017/01/21/the- ... alai-lama/

And a more simple one I've heard over the years: homage to the Buddha nature (jewel) which resides in our heart & mind (lotus)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Return to “Introductions”