American practitioner now staying in Nepal

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Humanic

American practitioner now staying in Nepal

Post by Humanic »

Hello, just a brief introduction.
I'm an American citizen now staying in Nepal, exploring various monasteries etc.
We are still in semi lockdown, so many of the monasteries are closed to public.
Anyway, I am new to forums and don't know much about how to navigate, but I hope to learn as I go.
Thanks for providing this learning place.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: American practitioner now staying in Nepal

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to DW. :namaste:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Oh lucky you! I hope you use your time in Nepal well or at least as well as the circumstances allow. Welcome!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Hi and welcome aboard!

By chance, have you been able to visit Lumbini?

Just curious too (as an American who resided in Asia for many years), are you an expat? Traveling?

Wish you the best!
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Welcome! How fortunate. I have spent some time there myself and hope to return soon.

Shaun :namaste:
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

I have spent the better part of the last 10 years living in India and Nepal. Most of that time teaching English in various monasteries.
Was back in the US when covid hit, but returned to Nepal in February.
Have not been to lumbini yet, but I will make sure to get there eventually 😊
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Humanic wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:29 am I have spent the better part of the last 10 years living in India and Nepal. Most of that time teaching English in various monasteries.
Was back in the US when covid hit, but returned to Nepal in February.
Have not been to lumbini yet, but I will make sure to get there eventually 😊
And monasteries want monks to learn English? Having previously stayed in various monasteries in SE Asia (all Theravada) I found that while some of the younger monks seemed keen on learning English, the abbots and teachers seemed to frown on it as a distraction from Sutra studies and meditation practice, and offers to teach English (for free) we're met with less than enthusiastic responses. Especially in forest and training monasteries. Though of course what monks do in their "free time" Is entirely up to them, bar breaking precepts hihi. I'm an ESL teacher by profession btw.
How's the visa situation in Nepal, as I recall for tourists 6 months per calendar year... Doing visa runs 6 and 6 to India? Can long term visas for your stay be arranged by monasteries?
How hard is the Nepalí language?
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Yes, the older monks are, in general, not very keen on the idea of English classes at the monastery.
Last edited by Humanic on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Now only 5 months per calendar year is allowed.
Longer term Visas are an option but you have to jump through many hoops and pay lots of money
I am not a trained ESL teacher, but I do fairly well teaching basic English. I have learned over the years what works and what doesn't. I enjoy it and it is a nice way to experience monastery life up close.
Last edited by Humanic on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Humanic wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:09 pm Now only 5 months per calendar year is allowed.
Longer term Visas are an option but you have to jump through many hoops and pay lots of money
I am not a trained ESL teacher, but I do fairly well teaching basic English. I have learned over the years what works and what doesn't. I enjoy it and it is a nice way to experience monastery life up close.
Thanks for the info, I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher, may your kindness and generosity be rewarded. I know your students appreciate it.
In Cambodia and other poor countries in SE Asia, families send their children to ordain as novices because they wouldn't otherwise be able to care for and educate them, orphans also. Young adults ordain for this reason as well, they can attend university and study whatever they want to, but usually they're expected to get 5 years of Buddhist education first. In Theravada one can (and people frequently do) ordain temporarily, be it days or years.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.

Return to “Introductions”