Brand new to Buddhism and looking at the traditions

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
dwdanby

Brand new to Buddhism and looking at the traditions

Post by dwdanby »

I've been doing some reading about the three main traditions, but there is so much to read. Is there a difference among traditions as far as how focused they are on the Eightfold Noble Path? I ask because I find so much good material in it about how to live a good life, whereas I never did understand theology in any form. Do the traditions differ in emphasis? (crossposted to dhammawheel)
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Brand new to Buddhism and looking at the traditions

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I think a person can take a couple of different approaches to Buddhism, depending on what they are really searching for.

One is mostly about how to ethically and be happy in this lifetime. The Buddhist teachings cover this.
This sounds like what you are referring to, how to “live a good life”.

The other is about attaining a high level of realization so that one is no longer trapped in the cycle of rebirths. The teachings cover that too. This, you might call “theology”.

Both approaches, by the way, can be done together. They don’t contradict each other. Here, it’s more about the motivation of the person and not so much about what this or that tradition is about.

Then, there are all sorts of theoretical and philosophical aspects to the teachings,which push the intellect. At the same time, there are practices such as meditation, chanting, making prostrations, and so on, which have nothing to do with intellect. Some might even say they run against intellect…and that’s fine too. Emptying your head for a few minutes each day is a good thing to do.

All Buddhist traditions hold in common what are called the four seals. You can look that up (not to be confused with the Four Noble Truths).
All Buddhist traditions also uphold the four noble truths and the eightfold path, although how central those are to everyday practice may vary.

This doesn’t mean that some take it more seriously or literally while others do not. It just means that the Eightfold Path might be regarded as the basics. the starting point, everybody is on that same page, and after that, the various traditions go off in different directions
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

dwdanby wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 am I've been doing some reading about the three main traditions, but there is so much to read. Is there a difference among traditions as far as how focused they are on the Eightfold Noble Path? I ask because I find so much good material in it about how to live a good life, whereas I never did understand theology in any form. Do the traditions differ in emphasis? (crossposted to dhammawheel)
The Mahayana, particularly in the Vajrayana form (“Tibetan Buddhism”) has a much wider choice of techniques and practices. Because they are much wider and less based on everyday experience they require a teacher. That might point people in a certain direction. Some are not ready for a teacher..some would have difficulty in practical terms.
Last edited by Giovanni on Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Hi and welcome, I'm new here as well. Hope you find what you are seeking.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

dwdanby wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:09 am I've been doing some reading about the three main traditions, but there is so much to read. Is there a difference among traditions as far as how focused they are on the Eightfold Noble Path? I ask because I find so much good material in it about how to live a good life, whereas I never did understand theology in any form. Do the traditions differ in emphasis? (crossposted to dhammawheel)
The Mahayana teaches the Six Paramitas:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81ramit%C4%81

Generally speaking, they cover the same ground as the Eightfold Path, but could be argued to be a bit less prescriptive, and are related to the Bodhisattva path.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Welcome!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Introductions”