Self introduction

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Dan66

Self introduction

Post by Dan66 »

Hi all,

So, I'm not entirely new to Buddhism, I looked into it when I was much younger, and didn't really get it. In the meantime I spent a lot of time around martial arts; Aikido, Tai chi (Yang style), took an interest in Taoism, the occult, even joined a few western occult orders and moved through the ranks there before hitting a dead end. Too much infighting, politics and the rest little more than cosplay. All the while a hankering after Zen lurked in the background. I even addressed the Christianity of my upbringing, but in the end couldn't bring myself to believe in it, it simply made no sense. All that remains is Zen, and the Buddhism that gives it form. I feel now is the time to embrace that more fully, which is why I'm here.

I am religious by temperament, but also highly analytical, a scientist by profession. I ask questions and don't stop until I get answers. This brings me back to Buddhism. Currently I am in Japan, until next month anyway, but a very rural area and there are no zendo open to foreigners in my area and due to the pandemic non open to new members within a reasonable distance. I find that the Soto Sect of Buddhism really speaks to me, I won't claim I understand it, but it doesn't insult my intelligence by asking me to believe ridiculous things, in fact it doesn't ask my to believe anything, but has more of a 'try it and see' attitude. I like the simplicity of practice. Just sitting. But there are the optional extras; sutra reading, incense and robes, the usual paraphernalia. So I figured I'd go back to the source; Dogen's writings, the sutras, in particular the heart sutra and the rest.

So I registered here in the hope of finding a Sangha of sorts. I'm about to move back to Europe (well, Scandinavia), for work, and would love to get to know other Zen folks with a view to formal affiliation and possibly even ordination in time, if it takes root, if I can find a teacher. But for now, I'll just sit.

So much for a self introduction, it's good to be here, I look forward to further correspondence.
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Self introduction

Post by Hazel »

Welcome!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Hi, I'm new here too, welcome!
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Welcome, Dan.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
DNS
Site Admin