I am here to find a teacher

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
CSROME

I am here to find a teacher

Post by CSROME »

Hello, and thank you for being here.

I would like to be as candid as possible with my intentions here. And I appreciate those of you who do still take time to read through the introductions. Mine will be brief. I am here to find a teacher. I have traversed the landscape of a handful of awakenings, each less vigorous than the one preceding it. I had arrived at a juncture when I was introduced to Buddhism by a counselor when I managed an ongoing practice. Now, I have gotten to a point where I would very much like some input. For reasons beyond my control, I am residing in a mental health asylum in Redwood City, California called Cordilleras. I have been here for about eight months. I would like to reiterate that I am hoping that you, whoever reads this, can point me in the direction of, or put me in contact with, someone who can be a Guru or Teacher to me. I would be highly appreciative. Thank you very much,

Cameron
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: I am here to find a teacher

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to DW, Cameron.

Because your question hopefully will attract many answers, I took the liberty to split your post from "Brief members bios - please contribute!" to an own thread.

I hope, you'll receive helpful answers. :namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

CSROME

Post by CSROME »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am Welcome to DW, Cameron.

Because your question hopefully will attract many answers, I took the liberty to split your post from "Brief members bios - please contribute!" to an own thread.

I hope, you'll receive helpful answers. :namaste:
Thank you, Ayu. I hope so, too. Namaste

Cameron
CSROME

Post by CSROME »

DNS wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 pm Welcome to DW!

Thank you!

Cameron
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
reiun

Post by reiun »

Just up the road from you would be the zen master and brilliant therapist Dr. Marsha Linehan, creator of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, in San Francisco:

https://www.emptycloudsangha.org/

As a plus, she has definitive institutional experience. This is her autobiography:

I wish you the very best.
CSROME

Post by CSROME »

reiun wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 pm Just up the road from you would be the zen master and brilliant therapist Dr. Marsha Linehan, creator of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, in San Francisco:

As a plus, she has definitive institutional experience. This is her autobiography:

Great. Thank you so much,

Cameron
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

reiun wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 pm Just up the road from you would be the zen master and brilliant therapist Dr. Marsha Linehan, creator of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, in San Francisco:

As an aside here, is Linehan no longer Catholic? From the brief description on the site it's hard to discern.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it's worth considering that whatever she is teaching (her therapeutic work is brilliant, btw, DBT is fantastic stuff) might not be Buddhadharma, but something fairly different in both tone and content. All good if that's what is being sought, but worth being aware of if one is examining her as a prospective teacher.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 pm

As an aside here, is Linehan no longer Catholic? From the brief description on the site it's hard to discern.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it's worth considering that whatever she is teaching (her therapeutic work is brilliant, btw, DBT is fantastic stuff) might not be Buddhadharma in the classic sense, but something fairly different in tone and content. All good if that's what is being sought, but worth being aware of if one is examining her as a teacher.
IIRC Linehan got her start with the Benedictine contemplatives who studied Zen in the 60s and 70s. I've honestly never been sure what to make of that movement. If Catholic contemplatives find that embracing certain Zen practices helps them feel closer to God, I've got nothing against that--but, like you said, I'm not sure it's the Dharma.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Genjo Conan wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:35 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it's worth considering that whatever she is teaching (her therapeutic work is brilliant, btw, DBT is fantastic stuff) might not be Buddhadharma in the classic sense, but something fairly different in tone and content. All good if that's what is being sought, but worth being aware of if one is examining her as a teacher.
IIRC Linehan got her start with the Benedictine contemplatives who studied Zen in the 60s and 70s. I've honestly never been sure what to make of that movement. If Catholic contemplatives find that embracing certain Zen practices helps them feel closer to God, I've got nothing against that--but, like you said, I'm not sure it's the Dharma.
Exactly. If the OP is interested in this, no problem, if they are looking for someone teaching Buddhadharma proper it might not be the best place. I only know about her religious history from learning/reading about DBT professionally. My impression is that she is a pretty devout Catholic outside of the Zen stuff.

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 pm I only know about her religious history from learning/reading about DBT professionally. My impression is that she is a pretty devout Catholic outside of the Zen stuff.
"Throughout her extraordinary scientific career, Linehan remained a woman of deep spirituality, eventually leaving the Catholic Church for the Eastern practice of Zen, and becoming a Zen master. Her powerful and moving story is one of faith and perseverance. Marsha Linehan is living proof that the principles of DBT really work–and that, using her life skills and techniques, people can build a life worth living."

https://depts.washington.edu/uwbrtc/new ... arly-2020/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

reiun wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:48 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 pm I only know about her religious history from learning/reading about DBT professionally. My impression is that she is a pretty devout Catholic outside of the Zen stuff.
"Throughout her extraordinary scientific career, Linehan remained a woman of deep spirituality, eventually leaving the Catholic Church for the Eastern practice of Zen, and becoming a Zen master. Her powerful and moving story is one of faith and perseverance. Marsha Linehan is living proof that the principles of DBT really work–and that, using her life skills and techniques, people can build a life worth living."

https://depts.washington.edu/uwbrtc/new ... arly-2020/
Ah, that explains it, thanks.

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 pm Ah, that explains it, thanks.
You're welcome.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Hello and welcome to Dharma Wheel!

One of the few silver linings of the Corona era is that many many teachers are now making their teachings and contact information available online.

Is there a particular type (school, lineage, etc.) of Buddhism you feel drawn to?
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Budai

Post by Budai »

https://garchen.net is the website of the Garchen Institute, here is some information, and also about how to take Refuge and Bodhisattva Vows Online from afar, any time, Spiritually.

H.E. Garchen Rinpoche.

Liberation on Sight Mantra, Sanskrit.

About the the Spiritual Director, His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche:
His Eminence Garchen Rinpoche is one of the foremost Buddhist masters and accomplished Tibetan Lamas alive in this world today. His compassion, love, wisdom, and spiritual accomplishments are legendary. He is one of the highest Lamas of the Drikung Kagyu Lineage of Tibetan Buddhism and is revered and respected by all the different lineages of Buddhism, and beloved in numerous countries across various continents all over the world. His disciples number in the tens of thousands and his dharma activities pervade everywhere. He is truly a living example of an authentic enlightened being and a great Bodhisattva. Famous throughout the world for his vast realization and great kindness, Rinpoche is truly a wish fulfilling gem, and one of the greatest authentic spiritual masters in the world.

Garchen Rinpoche was born in Eastern Tibet in 1936 and recognized at a very young age as the 8th incarnation of Garchen Rinpoche. From that time, he entered into monastic life and studied and practiced the dharma under many of the highest lamas of the Drikung lineage until the age of 19. Garchen Rinpoche then entered into a traditional three year retreat, which was interrupted after two and a half years due to the Cultural Revolution in China. At that time, after fighting in war to defend Tibet and preserve the Buddha Dharma, Garchen Rinpoche was captured and imprisoned. Garchen Rinpoche spent the next 20 years in prison and labor camps in Communist China. While in prison, Garchen Rinpoche met his root Guru, the great Nyingma master Khenpo Munsel, who gave him many essential teachings and pith instructions. Enduring unfathomable hardships, Rinpoche practiced secretly in prison until he attained great profound realization and merged his mind with his Guru.

Since his release from prison in 1979, Garchen Rinpoche has worked tirelessly to restore, preserve, and spread the teachings and blessings of the Buddha Dharma across Tibet, and later, throughout the entire world. In 1997, Garchen Rinpoche came to America for the first time. He has established his main center, the Garchen Buddhist Institute, in Arizona as well as numerous other centers throughout North America, Europe, Asia and South America. With his immeasurable compassion, vast realization and authentic blessings Rinpoche has inspired and guided thousands of Dharma students and practitioners to cultivate love, bodhichitta, and melt the ice block of self-grasping through dharma practice. He is an eminent master of the practices of Mahamudra and Dzogchen, Tummo, the Six Yogas of Naropa, the 37 Bodhisattva Practices, and many others.
Refuge Tree.
The Lineage:
KAGYU
The lineage of the Kagyu emphasizes the continuity of oral instructions passed on from master to student. This emphasis is reflected in the literal meaning of “Kagyu.” The first syllable “Ka” refers to the scriptures of the Buddha and the oral instructions of the guru. “Ka” has the sense both of the enlightened meaning conveyed by the words of the teacher, as well as the force which such words of insight carries. The second syllable “gyu” means lineage or tradition. Together, these syllables mean “the lineage of the oral instructions.”

DRIKUNG KAGYU
Vajradhara, Tilopa, Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa, Gampopa, Phagmo Drukpa, and Lord Drikungpa. This is the line of the precious golden rosary lineage of the incomparable Drikung Kagyupas. This line is continued unbroken by a stream of realized masters to this very day.

Moderator note: I removed the information regarding vows as it is unsolicited advice that may be inappropriate for a new practitioner. - Hazel.

Also, https://garchen.net contains a lot of useful information, from Empowerments to images to texts, so it is a wonderful resource one can explore, when one is determined.

Om Mani Padme Hum!

Return to “Introductions”