Seeking a Master

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
anushasundar

Seeking a Master

Post by anushasundar »

Dear all,

I'm a student of Buddhism seeking a master I can converse with openly about some personal experiences. I have a Lama I've reached out to online (have yet to meet in person), but there's a language barrier-I don't speak Tibetan and he doesn't speak English. Do you guys know any Lamas who speak English I can meet with in person and learn from?

Thank you.
Respectfully,

Anusha
Giovanni

Re: Seeking a Master

Post by Giovanni »

Where do you live?
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

What are you seeking from outside yourself that you don't already know? (This is a literal question, not a rhetorical one.)
anushasundar

Post by anushasundar »

Giovanni wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm Where do you live?
I live in California, willing to relocate anywhere in the world for the right teacher
anushasundar

Post by anushasundar »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:56 pm What are you seeking from outside yourself that you don't already know? (This is a literal question, not a rhetorical one.)
I am seeking a spiritual guide who understands me and can help me purify my mind and overcome selfishness
Budai

Post by Budai »

anushasundar wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 pm
avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:56 pm What are you seeking from outside yourself that you don't already know? (This is a literal question, not a rhetorical one.)
I am seeking a spiritual guide who understands me and can help me purify my mind and overcome selfishness
How do you feel about learning from Sutras, transcripts, books, and even online videos? You know you can go very far in Buddhism this way as well, before you interact face to face with the Teacher that is meant for you, or in fact achieve Enlightenment if you understand the Teachings of the Buddha by any medium they are presented in. For example I was introduced to Buddhism by the Path of the Lotus Sutra, and it has always been with me, until it opened up like a flower for me and I feel like I am more connected to my “clear mind” now, able to draw it forth any time I wish, with my consciousness as merely an Upaya. But this was only possible for me through the Salve of Love in my Spiritual Buddhist Vision, and I talked to many Teachers and relied heavily on the Teachings of the Buddhas in their writings as well, but the flower of inspiration that took me to my search for an Enlightenment within myself came from Buddha’s direct words, written down. I don’t feel my Path will be complete until all beings are liberated though, and that is what I call the direct and final Enlightenment, in the footsteps of Quan Yin.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

You can start by following some online teachings and once things open up try to meet some teachers IRL. There are plenty in your area. And nowadays almost every teacher has an online presence.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Ummm... What?

Sorry, but you can't get personal guidance, oral instructions, or ask questions to any of these.
Könchok Chödrak wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 pm How do you feel about learning from Sutras, transcripts, books, and even online videos? You know you can go very far in Buddhism this way as well, before you interact face to face with the Teacher that is meant for you, or in fact achieve Enlightenment if you understand the Teachings of the Buddha by any medium they are presented in.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
anushasundar

Post by anushasundar »

Arnoud wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 pm
You can start by following some online teachings and once things open up try to meet some teachers IRL. There are plenty in your area. And nowadays almost every teacher has an online presence.
[/quote

Do you have any specific Lamas you can recommend me? Thank you
Budai

Post by Budai »

Matt J wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 pm Ummm... What?

Sorry, but you can't get personal guidance, oral instructions, or ask questions to any of these.
Könchok Chödrak wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 pm How do you feel about learning from Sutras, transcripts, books, and even online videos? You know you can go very far in Buddhism this way as well, before you interact face to face with the Teacher that is meant for you, or in fact achieve Enlightenment if you understand the Teachings of the Buddha by any medium they are presented in.
Why can’t you get personal guidance from a book, instructions, or answers to questions from the Sutras and Suttas? This is what Buddhism is also founded on. The Dharma has such a powerful component to it that your Buddha-Nature can connect to the Buddha’s or Teacher’s words in a book, as if they are personally present. It is much like reading a letter. How much more important are the Sutras!

You have the right idea that we need interaction and personal association with fellow practitioners and Teachers, but there is merit to Teachings in all of their forms. Even to your own silent meditation or mantra recitation. Do not think those parts of Buddhism can’t bring one to Enlightenment. You know there are Teachings on this.

:bow:
Last edited by Budai on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Omg dude!
It’s eye blinking.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

anushasundar wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:53 pm [quo

Do you have any specific Lamas you can recommend me? Thank you
There are a couple of Western lama’s on here who are good. I would recommend looking into Dzogchen teachers. But honestly, it would be best to know a little more about your background. You can learn a lot from books and videos but for true understanding you need a live teacher so I am glad you seem to realize that. Some people who push against the idea of a teacher just delay their progress for an unknown time.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

anushasundar wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 pm
Giovanni wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm Where do you live?
I live in California, willing to relocate anywhere in the world for the right teacher
Moving should not be necessary! You live in an area where Buddhist teachers of all kinds are to be found although caution is needed, they are not all reliable.
There are Buddhist schools which do not insist of a human teacher, but most Mahayana schools think a teacher is desirable, and some like thecVajrayana say that a teacher is absolutely essential and that we can’t even begin Vajrayana until we have taken Refuge with a genuine teacher. So your instincts is good.
Books and film and discussion are good, but they are like cookery books. They will not feed you for ever.
It is easy to think we are learning Dharma but really we are learning ABOUT Dharma only.
The ego sense is subtle. A real teacher cuts through.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

No one can purify your mind without your consent.

There are many dangers in pursuing a guide. What if you suddenly find out the guide has a disgusting opinion on something? What if they reveal they are flawed? Or if they're deceiving you? Or if you find their teachings are wrong on certain points? Or, what if the people you want as guides don't have time for you and don't help? These are all real possibilities that have happened countless times.

It's fine to pursue a guide, but not fine to do it in a naïve way. It's not guaranteed that you'll find what you're looking for. The world is running on hate, greed, and fear. In order to dedicate time to liberating you, the guide would have to put down these things. Wouldn't they? And who would do that?

So, two recommendations: Look closely at your own suffering, where it comes from, how you react to it, and where it leads you. If it leads you to trouble, try to find ways of cutting that off. This is where formal practice comes in. And secondly, how would you feel about going to a hospice or a homeless shelter and offering your time to others? How do you react to their suffering, and to the possibility of serving those who are dying or have nothing? This kind of service can be a great teacher. (Just don't volunteer for others at the expense of your own fundamental needs. And if you haven't done this kind of service before, ask someone you trust about it. Research the lives of the homeless or the dying. And be careful not to trust too easily. When you're jumping into pits of suffering, you have to be somewhat reserved and cautious.)

I hope this helps.

Return to “Introductions”