New Mahayanist convert!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
greenobeeno

New Mahayanist convert!

Post by greenobeeno »

Hello all,

I am a recent convert from Sutta-based Theravada. I've had a wonderful experience reading the Diamond Sutra and my medical issues were spoken directly to by Ksitigarhbha's vows Sutra in a way that touched me personally. I'm looking forward to learning how to deepen my practice of Ksitigarbha and learn more about Mahayana :thumbsup:

James
Budai

Re: New Mahayanist convert!

Post by Budai »

Welcome! Understand that your refuge under the Three Jewels will always be there, whether you gather from Mahayana, Vajrayana, or Theravada. The Three Jewels are present in the Three Branches of Buddhism, fully, all in each, so do not feel like you have "left behind" Theravada, but I all the while urge you to fully explore the Mahayana Teachings because they as well contain the full Path towards Enlightenment. You are very fortunate to have taken interest and chosen the Mahayana Path, I hope you find Peace and Harmony within, and I hope your understanding of your Awakening draws near. :anjali:

Om Mani Padme Hum! :twothumbsup:
greenobeeno

Post by greenobeeno »

Thank you very much! It is reassuring to know my years spent in Theravada were not in vain for Mahayana. Keeping the five precepts is second-nature now due to that. I look forward to meditating with the Sutras as I read them and gaining greater understanding and kinship on here :D
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Welcome!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Welcome :)

Virgo
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

greenobeeno wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:48 am Thank you very much! It is reassuring to know my years spent in Theravada were not in vain for Mahayana. Keeping the five precepts is second-nature now due to that. I look forward to meditating with the Sutras as I read them and gaining greater understanding and kinship on here :D
To be a Mahāyāni means renewing one's past life commitment to the bodhisattva path, no matter how long that takes, and recalling one's wish to attain full buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings.
greenobeeno

Post by greenobeeno »

Thank you all as well. I am looking forward to browsing and enhancing the practice of visualization and meditation on Bodhisattvas. See you all around!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

greenobeeno wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 pm Thank you all as well. I am looking forward to browsing and enhancing the practice of visualization and meditation on Bodhisattvas. See you all around!
What you should be focusing on is developing your bodhicitta. That's the essence of Mahāyāna, not meditating on bodhisattvas.

For that, you should be reading texts like Śantideva's Bodhicaryāvatara, etc., texts which explain how to practice the bodhisattva path.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

And here's some material related to Malcolm's suggestion that would be good to get for this very purpose:

The Way of the Bodhisattva, by Shantideva (Padmakara Translation Group)
The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech: A Detailed Commentary on Shantideva's Way of the Bodhisattva, by Kunzang Palden aka Khenpo Kunpal (Padmakara Translation Group)

I didn't add any links as I don't know where you live but should be easy to find. Enjoy!
greenobeeno

Post by greenobeeno »

Would practicing the ten vows of Samantabhadra be an example of ways to cultivate Bodhicitta or is that something else?

Much Metta,

James
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 pm
greenobeeno wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 pm Thank you all as well. I am looking forward to browsing and enhancing the practice of visualization and meditation on Bodhisattvas. See you all around!
What you should be focusing on is developing your bodhicitta. That's the essence of Mahāyāna, not meditating on bodhisattvas.

For that, you should be reading texts like Śantideva's Bodhicaryāvatara, etc., texts which explain how to practice the bodhisattva path.
Can't those be the same thing though? I mean my sadhana sure says so.
greenobeeno wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm Would practicing the ten vows of Samantabhadra be an example of ways to cultivate Bodhicitta or is that something else?

Much Metta,

James
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/words-of-t ... od-actions

One of my teachers teaches it alongside the Bodhisattvacarya, especially for people who like recitation, it's a great practice.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
greenobeeno

Post by greenobeeno »

Thank you! I am using them for my practice currently and it's changed my whole day by focusing on compassion towards all living beings. I know it's just a first step but it's refreshing to hear there's a practice like the ten vows I can do in busy lay life. :twothumbsup:

PS. I don't having quoting down yet so my posts may seem messy haha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Can't those be the same thing though? I mean my sadhana sure says so.
The op is not a secret mantra practitioner, so, not applicable here.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

greenobeeno wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 pm Would practicing the ten vows of Samantabhadra be an example of ways to cultivate Bodhicitta or is that something else?

Much Metta,

James
The aspiration of Samantabhadra contains the aspiration to attain buddhahood.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

I recommend looking up Dharma centers near you and chose a couple regular nights to attend regularly.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9

Return to “Introductions”